Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Wow, so much to take in. And it looks like its going to be a lot more "hassle" choosing a boot than I had ever perceived.

Multiply that with a pair for the wife and son, and it looks like its going to be painful time and expense wise.

first of all, let me tell you where I'm coming from.

I "learned" to ski in the army. Which actually translated to "time away from work" for the majority of us on it. The actual courses were treated basically as a fun time by us. looking back, we had some great instructors, but none of us paid much attention to anything after we'd learned to get down a few hills properly. Unfortunately this "ability" to get down the hill as opposed to actually skiing it, has been with me, manifesting itself as skiing ability, for years. A bit off the cuff for the thread maybe, but in all this time I have NEVER worn a pair of boots apart from ones that were given to me based on what size feet I have. I have NEVER had a pair of boots that have not hurt in one way or the other. Ever! I've never been able to come off after a couple of runs without loosening my boots and being thankful that i was actually being able to get them off for a bit.

I was at Glenshee yesterday with hired boots and although they werent actually painful they werent actually comfortable. its just something I've always accepted because its all I've known. Ski boots are not comfortable Sad My Mrs also had hired boots (her first time on real snow) and she sacked it at lunchtime because her feet were permanently in pain. Pins and needles in all her toes. I'm only hoping it hasnt put her off full stop. I think I need to get her back up and running as soon as possible.

The long and short of it is that I've decided its abot time I actually took some lessons to correct my ingrained (misguided) belief that because I can get down some reds I can actually ski. If I'm going to do this then i dont want to be approaching lessons/ski time any more thinking/accepting that boots hurting is just going to have to be accepted as part of the norm. Time to move on.

Which begs the question thats probably been answered a million times in here already. Now that I'm no longer just gonna go to Decathlon/wherever and pick a pair based on "they look Ok and are in an 8, and dont feel too bad when I put them on" what should I be looking for. I'm quite happy i suppose to go to a fitter, but dont really know what a good fitting boot should feel like. Also, what sort of price range would be appropriate for being able to come away with a "decent" pair of boots, fitted well, that would enable me to ski down blues and reds (hopefully blacks later).

I suppose now I've decided to do things right i will also need to apply this to skis as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see from your location you are in Scotland. If you decide to get a boot fitting at an Ellis Brigham store, they currently have their sale on, boots of your ability level are going for round about £200, factor in £60 for a custom footbed (will probably solve a lot of your problems) and there is your budget.

We usually say a generic budget of about £300, when the sales aren't on, but they've just kicked in and the discounts on boots are ridiculous, so check it out. Also remember you'll need a good pair of thin performance fitting ski socks - Smartwool or similar will do the trick.

Good fitting boot, in my opinion, should feel like it is holding the foot but without being painful or overtly pressured in any part. We call it the 'firm handshake fit' at Brighams. Kind of like a handshake from a good friend. Firm and snug without being uncomfy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi crazy_skier_jules, thanks for the info. I've been looking at the EB site and thinking I'll pop in there next week when I go to Snozone.

However, IF I end up being able to go to the EoSB then I think that will be £260 too far for the missus to approve. Especially as she wont be going to EoSB.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, you have to go and get fitted correctly, my advice to you would also get a pair of insoles, superfeet are pretty good
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If oyur gonna get insoles your better off using Conformable custom skis or premium
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DangerMouse13 wrote:
If oyur gonna get insoles your better off using Conformable custom skis or premium

perhaps a little naive, it depends 100% on the foot, some people find an off the shelf insert works just fine, more importantly it depends on who is building the custom product...an off the shelf insole is one whole lot better than a badly made custom one!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That makes sense, personally i've always used custom and never had any issues, might try some off the shelf to see how i get on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am a partner in Explore Bansko Ski & Board Rental Shop in Bansko, Bulgaria. I have the chance to buy some Salomon Impact 8 Ski boots quite cheap, they are new. They are supposed to be for Intermediate to advanced skiers, but I wonder would this be a problem a for a beginner? We only established this business last year so have a lot to learn!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know of decent boot fitters on the south coast. I'm in Brighton but prepared to drive as far as is necessary really.

Cheers
Bert
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anya at Snow Lab near Hailsham East Sussex
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic wrote:
Anya at Snow Lab near Hailsham East Sussex

Good call, I think she is there this season
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petethefeat wrote:
I am a partner in Explore Bansko Ski & Board Rental Shop in Bansko, Bulgaria. I have the chance to buy some Salomon Impact 8 Ski boots quite cheap, they are new. They are supposed to be for Intermediate to advanced skiers, but I wonder would this be a problem a for a beginner? We only established this business last year so have a lot to learn!

Hey Pete, although flex is certainly a consideration, at that level it wont make a huge amount of difference. Height and weight are just as relvent. Providing the fit is ok and you have a good set of insoles in there then you will probably be fine.

The best advice I can give is to take them to a decent boot fitter as they can tell you in 30 seconds if it can work!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey guys,

This might sound like a stupid question, but why is it so difficult? Maybe I've just been lucky, but aside from the godawful smell that I seem to be particularly sensitive to, I've never had a problem with hire boots.

My expectation was that buying ski boots would be no different to buying a pair of shoes or selecting a pair of hire boots - try some on, find a nice fit, job done.

I rolled my eyes when I read that EB expect you to use a footbed, my expectation, like some others said, was that this is EB maximising your spend. Now I've read this thread, I'm not so sure.

I think it would help me understand if we turned the question on its head, why do so many people go through all of the bother and expense of getting ski boots?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same reason golfers have their own clubs rather than hire a set every round. You get the feel of what you're doing with a familiar fit, extra comfortable plus no messing about at the shop and what a debacle that can be when its busy. Its more hygenic having your own boots too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What do you think to buying boots and getting them fitted at altitude (in resort) rather than getting them fitted in the UK?
I'm referring to the fact / myth that our feet slightly swell at altitude which may cause a problem to boots fitted in the UK.
latest report
Hi all,

If your in the Midlands:

I had my first pair of ski boots for Christmas bought from White Mountain Ski in Penkridge, Stafford between junction 12 and 13 of the M6. They have a foot bed scanner to help you pick the right boot and insole and the staff were very helpful. They heated up the boot liners and clamped them to feet with toe caps on for a better fit http://www.whitemountainski.co.uk/

If you're in the West Country:

Near Bristol/ Gloucester you could try http://www.attwoolls.co.uk/but they don't have the foot bed scanner.

I will be testing out the boots next week in Scheffau.

Cheers,
JV
latest report
Just after some advice.

Have just ordered a pair of k2 photon skis 174 length and am just doubting the order (typical)

I am now debating if i should have got the 167's instead.

I am 6ft and 11.5 stone and am fairly advanced skiing mainly on piste and a bit off piste.

Which length will be best for me?
ski holidays
Junior Boots question.

MiniRoll is 10, done about 15 weeks skiing. Is now outskiing her old man. Sad ( I'm told it happens to everyone - doesn't make it 'right' tho...)

Last year we bought some boots from Lockwoods for her, but they are now too small.
We could go back to Lockwoods, but to be honest, despite buying my own boots/skis there, and being happy very with that, we did feel that when it came to Junior, they somewhat pressured us into buying the only boots they had. It is also 50 miles up the road from Maidenhead. Plus point is their Part-ex scheme.

Mrs Roll has just been to CEM for her Christmas present, (cost me a fortune, but she is ecstatically happy) but he doesn't do UK size 2, (22, 22.5) size for young ladies.

Looked at the Salomon X3 70s (and 60s) seem about the right level for her. It is tough being small, but far from a beginner - there's not a lot of choice.
Slush & Rubble sell this model but don't have any stock at either Chertesy or Hemel. So, questions:

Any good bootfitters in the West London / South West London / Home Counties area that would be a worth a visit for children?
Do any do a PX scheme?
Are there any other brands / types we ought to consider?
Is everyone running out of choice at this time of year?
Should we wait until we get out to Les Arcs ( 23rd March) hire something for a few days then buy, and abandon all hope of UK stuff?

Thanks.
AR
ski holidays
No experience of 'em but Fulltilt do an adjustable kid's boot:

http://fulltiltboots.com/ski-boots/growth-spurt-girls

Looks like their large size could last (gedit) MiniRoll for a while.
latest report
altis, interesting... and Ski Bartlett is at Uxbridge, close enough. Maybe worth a look. Anyone else seen or used these things?

Thanks

PS 'last' joke: took a while, but... go get yer coat!
latest report
Arctic Roll, second the suggestion of Bartletts for this, they are extremely helpful and generous with advice. They should have some good options as they will be fitting a lot of kid racers so will have decent boots in small sizes. Too far for you but again another great shop and particularly good on junior kit with a good range of boots is Ventura in St Helens, very happy with the service we had buying our son's new boots there this season.

If you want to know about the adjustable boots PM RobW if he doesn't see this, pretty sure one of his kids had the Roces adjustable ones. There is also a cheaper version called Roxa Chameleon from SkiWear4Less.
ski holidays
sarah, thanks. Will be contacting Bartlett this week, and robW.
snow conditions
Update - ( see Les Arcs thread too) on Ski Bartlett...

Spent far more than I intended, but miniroll is ecstatic about her new boots, even doing her clarinet practice standing in them. They did a Px on last year's boots, and were very attentive, very knowledgeable, and spent a long time with her trying a variety of boots to make sure they got things right.

My only issue was the queuing system - you can't book an appointment, and the personalised and individual attention afforded each and every person can mean a long wait - we waited over 2 hours between arrival and being seen to, and there were only 5 people in the queue ahead of us. It then took another hour to fit. But that was right and proper - no custom footbeds or anything, they wouldn't fit next year anyway, and again reinforced the care being taken, so not a complaint.

Having travelled to get there, we were reluctant to abandon, and an hour in, even more so. To be fair, they did say it was going to be a wait, and we were offered (and accepted!) a couple of cups of coffee, and everyone was most attentive and tried their best to look after us. But not easy for a ten year old to be so patient.
Maybe they might want to think about 1 of the fitters operating to a booking system, in parallel with the other 2 doing 'walk-ups', to cope with those who have come a reasonable distance and can plan their weekends ahead of the game?

One guy showed up at quarter past three, having driven he said an hour to get there, but was told it wouldn't be possible to fit him in prior to closing time (5:30 - although the fittings were still going on until 6 at least). Lost customer, and probably a tad disappointed too.

So message is - great service, but pick your moment. Or, take work, book, suduko or a shopping list (to wander around the locale) with you.
latest report
Arctic Roll, Glad you are sorted, but the lack of booking system means I wouldn't even contemplate using them for boots
ski holidays
Sounds like a similar system to Lockwoods. When I go there I'm usually waiting for them to open!
ski holidays
After trading in my circa 1950's boots for some spanky new ones it was not great. Had them fitted/heat moulded etc etc at a large well known ski shop. Took them away and they were agony. I ended up skiing in pop socks..not good for warmth.
So..they had shrunk back to their original shape. However, looking back at how it happened I came to the conclusion and one or two mentioned that it could have been the boot warmers which i put in every night.
When i had them refitted by the same store but expert fitter (definately worth waiting for this person however much you do not want to hang around) he did a great job and boots are now fine. He also said that boot warmers will not affect them?? I have different opinions on this, does anyone have a difinitive answer?
snow conditions
Depends on the liners. If they're Intuition or similar made of Ultralon then they're cooked at 135C for 10 minutes in the fitting process. You're unlikely to get anywhere near that with a boot warmer.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60085
snow report
Arctic Roll,
Quote:

Mrs Roll has just been to CEM for her Christmas present, (cost me a fortune, but she is ecstatically happy) but he doesn't do UK size 2, (22, 22.5) size for young ladies.

I got my latest pair of boots from CEM a couple of years ago and I am sure they were Salomon 22.5 (just checked and the shell seems to say 22/23.5) - he did have to get them in specially for me having not quite believed it when I said the size of my feet on the phone, which meant a second trip, but I was plied with coffee and enjoyed hearing all the chat from other customers. Also fitted the boots with Zipfits so it was a hugely expensive exercise but I am still a happy bunny with them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been using my Raichle Flexon's for the past 12 seasons. My feet haven't grown since high school and I always preferred a softer feel, so I just get my Thermoflex liners remolded before every season. I've always thought it was cool that the original model hasn't really changed since it's first introduction. I'd like to pick up a pair of flashier Full Tilts, but really don't see the point in buying virtually the same shell. I can definitely see myself picking up one of the new liners, though.
snow report
billywifta wrote:
What do you think to buying boots and getting them fitted at altitude (in resort) rather than getting them fitted in the UK?
I'm referring to the fact / myth that our feet slightly swell at altitude which may cause a problem to boots fitted in the UK.

For those who ski exclusively at altitude, and do have problems with their feet swelling, that's a good point. Many of us ski as much or more on dry slopes as we do in the mountains, or have feet that don't actually swell that much.

akisuan wrote:
Hey guys,

This might sound like a stupid question, but why is it so difficult? Maybe I've just been lucky, but aside from the godawful smell that I seem to be particularly sensitive to, I've never had a problem with hire boots.

My expectation was that buying ski boots would be no different to buying a pair of shoes or selecting a pair of hire boots - try some on, find a nice fit, job done.

I rolled my eyes when I read that EB expect you to use a footbed, my expectation, like some others said, was that this is EB maximising your spend. Now I've read this thread, I'm not so sure.

I think it would help me understand if we turned the question on its head, why do so many people go through all of the bother and expense of getting ski boots?

If you've never had problems with hire boots, then you probably don't need your own. If we ink about levels of seriousness of skiing, so to speak, the people least serious about skiing but getting their own boots will be the ones with really difficult feet (like me,I had awful problems last week at Gloucester but to week found one of the hire boots to fit really well, so I'll try to always have that particular boot again and then I'm getting boots for Christmas). What I've experienced is that discomfort and bad boots (in the ones I had from the hire shop in Courchevel, my foot could move quite a bit left and right within the boot, meaning I couldn't control the ski that easily) can often turn skiing into something really uncomfortable and not at all enjoyable. By contrast, I know now how much better it is with boots that fit really well! This enables us skiers so difficult feet to really enjoy skiing and move up the ability ladder a bit.

Those without difficult feet usually wait until a big inheritance or they become really serious about skiing. This will also depend on where they ski. If it's always in a resort where they know there to be a really good hire shop with short waiting times then that will probably suffice for them, but if they're having to wait for ages every time they go to the dryslope, they will probably invest sooner. If that makes sense?
Smile
latest report
bruceleroy wrote:
I've been using my Raichle Flexon's for the past 12 seasons. My feet haven't grown since high school and I always preferred a softer feel, so I just get my Thermoflex liners remolded before every season. I've always thought it was cool that the original model hasn't really changed since it's first introduction. I'd like to pick up a pair of flashier Full Tilts, but really don't see the point in buying virtually the same shell. I can definitely see myself picking up one of the new liners, though.

Don't forget that plastics and liner technology have moved on significantly in recent years so the FullTilts are not simply a re-graphic of the FlexionComp. Also, remember that time, temperature and UV light take their toll on your shells and after 12 seasons they will definitely be degraded, possibly to the point of failure. Hope you get sorted!
snow report
I recently had some new boots fitted and got custom footbeds. The bootfitter said I have quite big ankles and in the shop after 'pretend skiing for 10mins non stop they did rub. He made some adjustments in the boots and said to try them skiing. I did some more 'pretend skiing' at home and they rubbed a bit again. I tried them on the dry slop last night for a couple of hours and were fine. Im a bit worried that when I get out there and am skiing all day that they will rub again.
I think I may have to get the shells stretched in resort if that happens.
Anyone know how expensive that might be? Going to Tignes Val Claret.
Thanks
latest report
Was your UK bootfitter not prepared to stretch them for you before you go? If they are worth their salt, & it needs it, they will probably do it as part of their after sales service. Nonetheless, you don't want to create unnecessary slack if they don't really need it. There's a big difference in your circulation between pumping your knees a bit in your living room, and exerting yourself in a sustained fashion in the way the boots were deisgned for.
latest report
Thanks for your reply.
He was prepared to stretch them but was reluctant to do anything do anything too drastic before actually trying them skiing. He said after I have been I can go back and he will make any adjustments necessary.
I am just a bit worried that if they do make my ankles hurt that I will have to get something done when out there rather than suffering all week and waiting until I get home.
I could just ask him to stretch them before I go but he might think I'm a bit strange asking for it when they haven't hurt when actually skiing in them. Plus, maybe they don't actually need it and, like you say, there is a big difference between between actually skiing and rocking about in them indoors.
If I do have to go down the route of getting them adjusted when out there do you know what sort of price that would be?
latest report
raybey1, stretching a boot in resort can cost anything form a couple of beers to €20-30 depending on the shop, i have seen shops in the past refuse to work on a boot to stretch it because they wanted to sell a new boot in a bigger size, (which for a little bit of width which is what the problem was, is a bit underhand)

if they don't rub when you are skiing then i would not worry, give them another session or two on the dry slope and see what happens, it takes a few days to bed the liner of a new boot in, your fitter is right not to stretch the shell too much before you have skied unless of course there is an obvious pressure point in the store.

the other question is this..is it a pressure (pressing) or a rub (movement), if the latter, try tightening the ankle buckle up a little bit more
snow report
Thanks again. I certainly wont be buying another new boot as its just the ankle area that needs a bit of stretching if anything.
I'll give them a couple more goes on the dry slope then and see how they go.
I think its a bit of both with regards to the rubbing or pressure. Ill try the suggestion with the ankle buckle and see if it feels like it improves the situation.
ski holidays
Ski boots in South Wales/South West

Still thinking about buying a pair of boots (and still not got round to it). Based in Cardiff, but willing to travel if needs be to get some that fit well. I have funny feet (quite flat feet with really excessive pronation - wear orthotics in shoes). Coyote in Cowbridge is close as is Snow & Rock in Bris'l. Anyone had experience of either?

I also understand that customised footbeds are good (especially for people with wonky feet). Is this right (which I suspect it is from my experience with shoe orthotics)?

Otherwise, it may be a day trip to Bicester.
latest report
Hi going to soll in Austria in march this will be 4th time on the snow so thought it was time to invest in a pair of ski boots, looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking at buying salomon QUEST 70 or rossingol SYNERGY SENSOR 2 anybody any feedback on these, not sure what flex to go for I would say I'm am ok skier pick up a bit of speed, few small jumps when the legs aren't to knackered .
snow conditions
biglad14 wrote:
Hi going to soll in Austria in march this will be 4th time on the snow so thought it was time to invest in a pair of ski boots, looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking at buying salomon QUEST 70 or rossingol SYNERGY SENSOR 2 anybody any feedback on these, not sure what flex to go for I would say I'm am ok skier pick up a bit of speed, few small jumps when the legs aren't to knackered .

I would suggest that you go to a decent Ski shop with an open mind and forget the two models you have mentioned and go for the best fit for your foot. Wo knows you might get one of those, but the Quest isn't necessary if you don't plan on hiking up at all.
Also, Flex is very dependent on weight and how you ski and not the be all and end all. If you weight a lot and have never skied you might need a stiffer boot than a very light intermediate skier.
Where are you located? That will help people suggest a good boot fitter near you.
A good fitting boot, good sock and decent insole are the 3 most important factors.

A good rule too is 'No shell check, no sale' - just walk out as you can't be sure a boot will fit if your foot isn't checked in the shell first!
latest report
akisuan, you buy boots because - hire boots are not designed for YOUR feet. The foam used is designed not to take the shape of any particular foot and is therefore softer in order to better fit a wider range of feet. Also manufacturers rarely do lines for rental that feature their top design ideas so a serious skiier is generally forced to buy rather than rent. On top of that people often have feet issues which can ony be dealt with by a pro set up, you'd never get that for hire boots. Then there is the fashion element, some people would never buy boots that could be rentals. Some people alos have phobias about using shoes or boots that someone else has used (pretty common actually). Boot owners avoid the time taken to wait of boot fittings in resorts. Over time the boots pay for themselves and can actually save you money compared to renting.

There are a host of reasons why people buy boots rather than renting them - I am sure I have missed some ......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy