Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it must be a hectic time of year for you. Normally I buy a size 5.5, but as it is increasingly difficult to get half sizes I go up or down depending on how big/small the shoe is if that makes sense? But on a standard foot scale I measure 5.5. My feet are REALLY wide. I still have the fitting notes, if that helps. "Measured size left and right 24.5. 3D fit profile M/W. Tried several boots - can't read first bit but could be Atomic 60 - too stiff and too much volume. Sport 10 - too stiff and pain on outside edge of foot but Smortmachine 8 good fit". Will do the check you suggest and report back. I think the length is probably OK - when I first put boot on toes are against the end and it initially feels too small, when I lean forward foot moves back in boot and there is plenty of room. Thanks again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just to add a bit - I've been tramping round the house today and it actually feels as if the inner is moving a bit inside the shell as I flex to walk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting stuff

I'm umming and ahhing about buying a new pair of boots. I've had a pair for the last 15 years and they are very comfortable (old pair of Technica). However, was pushing myself a bit harder this year and noticed my feet moved around a bit, more often then not finding myself with too much weight on heels.

I have odd feet as well - size 11 but very narrow for a bloke.

May be tempted
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello, I am in the process of choosing some new boots and have noticed some website comments that recommend smaller boots than people generally might previously have been used to.
My old boots are 27.5 and my regular shoe size is 8.5, fairly wide. At a shop in London yesterday I was advised to try a 26.0 as that matched the measurement of the length of my foot. However, my toes did seem to be curled up to squash them into that size, and although a 26.5 was a little better they were only really comfortable whilst flexing so might not be suitable for all-day wear.

I would like to ask: Why is fitting the foot into the right length given such importance? My impression was that the boot should have a firm hold around the ankle (from the middle of the foot to the shin), so I don't usually feel the need to tighten the toe clip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeterJoanes, if you go up in size to compensate for width then when the liner packs down the foot can slide back and forth inside the boot, the liner in a ski boot is made of pretty low quality foam, it packs down and compresses it needs to fell pretty tight in the shop as when you have skiied for a fewe days everything will loosen off... the biggest problem we see is that many people just do not ski enough to even break the boot in, they want instant nirvana, unfortunately this is not available if you want the boot to last for more than a couple fo weeks

yes the foot should be held firmly as you describe, but give the boot you tried another 15/20 mins and even standing in the shop bending and flexig the liner will have packed a little...not anywhere close to the whole amount that it will with heat mouldign and skiing but you should feel a difference, people are way too quick to write a boot off for being too tight, often before it is even clipped up, it is about comunication and managing expectation, if i tell you if will feel very tight and you exopect it it is not so bad...if i don't warn you then it doesn't matter what i tell you after your foot has gone in and your toes hit the front the boot feels too small so in the mind of the consumer it is too small

BTW with a shoe size if 8.5 i would expect a 26/26.5 to be about right depending on boot model and your foot shape/ankle joint rnage of motion/calf size etc etc
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:

BTW with a shoe size if 8.5 i would expect a 26/26.5 to be about right depending on boot model and your foot shape/ankle joint rnage of motion/calf size etc etc

Shocked Shocked

I take a UK Size 7. The first boots I bought were a mondo 27 (Salomon Axe 8 ). I skied happily in them for several years, as they made an immediate improvement to my skiing over hire boots. In 2006 I went to Nevada Sports in Tignes where Franck told me they were too big and put me in a mondo 26 (Head world cup RC80). Again, I imediately noticed the improvement in control. Have been happy in them since then

Are you now suggesting I should be in an even smaller size? Is it like climbing where the downsizing gets hyped to the extent that you go two full shoe sizes down?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, depends on the foot and the boot...what shoe size you take is a consideration but largely irrelevent as the only way to really tell is to put the foot in the shell of the boot and see how much space there is
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, ok, I feel slightly better now, Franck has a good rep and he did do the shell test Smile I suffer from massive pronation and has a carbon footbed that goes in the ski, on top of the cork footbed that frank made. Maybe that's wrong, I dunno
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

I live in Essex and am looking for a good boot fitter for both the wife and I, this thread has provided an interesting read. Does anyone have any recommendations?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the reply CEM. I'm left wondering if the boot size should always exactly match the foot measurement, or whether the liner might be chosen slightly bigger to accommodate some foot shapes.
I'm reasonably comfortable with 26.5, but perhaps I just need to wear-in boots that are 26.0 which typically have the same shell size. If the liners are so compressible, why are the half-sizes offered at all?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeterJoanes, the 1/2 sizes are there for the public to make them feel important if they measure a 1/2 size bigger or smaller...purely phycological in most cases (oh and for shops who think there is a difference) Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matt G, round the M25, up the M40, hour and a half's drive, CEM in Bicester. You know it makes sense! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Matt G, Few on here seem to have used them, but I went to SkeeTex in Battlesbridge for my beginners boots. They seemed to know what they were on about and spent a lot of time making sure that the boots were comfy (as lots of people say beginners boots should be - though sometimes this brings the beginners boot up on the large side - I think CEM, pronounced mine possibly half a size too big). However, mine have been like carpet slippers and I've been very pleased with them. I haven't heard any bad reports of them despite posting the recommendation several times on here, and the person that recommended me to them was very complimentary about one of the boot fitters there (the search function is playing silly things at the moment, but I'll post the link with the recommendation in it when I find it). http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/ I have also been to The Alpine Room in Danbury for kids boots because Skee Tex doesn't do kids ones, they don't seem to take the same care with fitting a childs boot there as Skee Tex did for mine, but maybe you don't with kids boots you just make sure the child is comfy Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, Same sized feet and in same sized ski boot as you - doesn't sound as though we should worry though Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Matt G, I've found the thread for you with the recommendation for Skee Tex in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=514873
ski holidays
Megamum - Excellent thanks I will go and have a look as the mother in law lives in Hockley and we are visiting on Saturday so could pop in on the way.

rainman - TBH thats what I was starting to think - will see what I think to skee tex as that isn't such a trek.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
AxsMan, how did you know I got blue and white boots, they definitely don't match my skis though. (Tecnica Attiva Flame).

Having had 4 failed atempts at getting a pair of boots that worked and felt good I have finally found the boot angel! Little Angel www.Skiexchange.co.uk based in cambridge, telephone +441954 310984 were amazing. I live in Jersey where to say we have limited facilites woulds be the understatement!! having researched on SH I finally arrived on Simons doorstep. It was a bit bizarre as there is no shop front and is based in a trading estate, that said once through the door a totally first class friendly and importantly a highly informed and enjoyable process began. I was so excited by my evetual purchase that I was up at 3 in the morning trying them out, now can't wait for my next ski trip end of Feb, really believe that the boots (Head Dream) will lift my skiiing to the next level and beyond. I seriously cannot reccomend Simon and his team highly enough, friendly, funny really know how tro go the extra mile. Thanks guys will post again post trip snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-01-10 19:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Matt G wrote:
Hi,

I live in Essex and am looking for a good boot fitter for both the wife and I, this thread has provided an interesting read. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ski Exchange Ski Exchange Ski Exchange - totally brilliant, spent yesterday afternoon there and have come away having exceeded any expectations I had, my other half is really jealous of the service I received, we live in Jersey and there is nothing here. Ask for Simon it is his business and he is really passionate about enuring you get whats right for you. While I was there a lady was having her old boots altered and a new foot bed made, he treated her with the same level of care and attention as myself, they also givew a comfort guarantee that doesnt stop when you leave your house. Simon really believes in testing them on the slopes, if something not right go back to him, he is eternal in his efforts to gets things right for you ... he even dropped me back to the train station - now thats what I call service. Tel 01954 210984 www.skiexchange.co.uk
Hope this helps happy to chat : Little Angel
ski holidays
davejsy wrote:
Hi all,

This will be my 4th trip skiing this year, and as such I have decided to buy some boots, and possibly Skis. I'm going to Les Gets in February, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop there for boots? Alternatively I will be in Worcester over Christmas, if anyone knows of anywhere near there that would be good for boots? (I live in Jersey, so ski shops are a little hard to come by!)

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave
Possibly to late to help, but I to live in Jersey, I have just got back from UK where i visited Skiexchange in cambridge, excellent, can't recomend highly enough, easy to get to either via Gatwick or stanstead (closer). They were brilliant, it was worth every penny of the flights would definitely do again, in fact my fella will be going to. Contact Simon 01954210984 www.kiexchange.co.uk - brilliant service you need to allow a whole afternoon.
happy o chat if you want more NehNeh
snow report
I would suggest going to see colin Martin with your boots, he does footbeds and is very knowledgeable about ski boots and i'm sure he will be able to help you. Solutions 4 feet defo the best boot fitter I've ever used!
latest report
clair wrote:
davejsy wrote:
Hi all,

This will be my 4th trip skiing this year, and as such I have decided to buy some boots, and possibly Skis. I'm going to Les Gets in February, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop there for boots? Alternatively I will be in Worcester over Christmas, if anyone knows of anywhere near there that would be good for boots? (I live in Jersey, so ski shops are a little hard to come by!)

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave
Possibly to late to help, but I to live in Jersey, I have just got back from UK where i visited Skiexchange in cambridge, excellent, can't recomend highly enough, easy to get to either via Gatwick or stanstead (closer). They were brilliant, it was worth every penny of the flights would definitely do again, in fact my fella will be going to. Contact Simon 01954210984 www.kiexchange.co.uk - brilliant service you need to allow a whole afternoon.
happy o chat if you want more NehNeh

Once would have been ok, but posting the story 3 times in a row just makes you look like a spambot/employee.
ski holidays
Vorda, probably a user error, i recomended clair see simon as we did not have an appointment available whist she was in the UK
snow report
Sounds like Si did a good job though or she had 'easy' feet Very Happy

Has anybody tried the Salomon Toruing boot? Any good?

What next? Scarpa with race boots? Puzzled
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot, tried one on last week in Chamonix, feels good although had a little more volume than i would like to have seen.... never mind scarpa with race boots Dalbello have released a race boot for next season called the scorpion... the R&D boys at a major boot manufacturer admit that Dalbello is the one to watch in terms of boot development !!!!
ski holidays
CEM - Sounds intersting. I will try it in Bormio. Yeh Dalbello is a good brand, shame. I wonder how many stockists there will be next winter? It offers a lot as a brand.
snow conditions
CEM, wink
ski holidays
CEM, wink
latest report
Can you give me your opinion I have just got back from a week’s ski. One of my boots rubbed the inside of my heel raw and both my big toes go a little numb. My boot are Nordice Extreme they are about 16 years old but have only done 11 or 12 weeks skiing, they don’t have foot beds in. I don’t know if I should spend money on my boots of junk them and get new ones, as they use to be fine Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glen Charman, the main problem with boots at that age is that he plastic MAY be brittle, if you try to stretch them there is a good chance they will crack... (they may of course be fine) but at 16 years old you deserve a new pair
snow report
CEM, Thanks I was thinking this I'll be up to see you later in the year
snow conditions
hi,
just bought my first pair of boots after being left in agony the last 2 years i've hired in resort.
i must admit to knowing very little (and have learnt a lot more just from reading this thread, thankyou!) and was completely at the mercy of the fitter in the shop who certainly seemed very helpful and knowledgeable.
i was shocked when told my foot length: i normally wear size 10 shoes but was told i should be looking at 27.5/28 size boots.
my problem is i have very wide feet and also a very high instep. i have ended up with 'head edge+ 10' boots which were pretty much the only boots with a wide fitting in my price range. we went through the heating process in the shop and overall the boots felt pretty good, certainly tight, apart from a bit of pain coming on my right foot about half way up the top of the instep.
the fitter advised me to wear them at home for about an hour a day over the next few days and see how i get on and suggested they could chisel away a bit on the bottom of the boot if i'm still getting the pain. yesterday was my first day of this and after about an hour i must say the problem with my right instep wasn't so bad but my concern is that i had a good dose of pins and needles in both feet after taking them off.
is this usual at this stage of wearing in a boot, or is this cause for concern?
cheers, harry
latest report
harryw, it really depends, if the shell shape and size is good for your foot then it is probably the liners just packing down, but without seeing the boot and your foot it is a tough call, try the boot again and if it takes longer to come on then it is quite probable that it is the liner and it will settle down when you inflict it to the forces of skiing.... if it keeps coming on within around the same amount of time then it is probably something which needs to be addressed.....

btw the liner in the head edge is really thick and padded, it also has quite a rigid exterior and can take some time to pack.... maybe some stretching tools and a bit of time are required
latest report
CEM, many thanks for the response, I've been wearing them in around the house over the weekend and am now getting very little discomfort - just a little pins and needles when they come off after an hour's wear which I'm not too worried about. Will continue to wear them in this week before hitting the slopes next week! cheers, harry
snow report
hey guys i have been reading this thread and have really enjoyed it so im looking to buy some boots and i wear a size 11.5 to 12 street shoe and i just tried on my buddies size 28 salomon 8 boots and did as you all have said and took the liner out and my toes just barely touched the front of the boot and i put the liner back in and it fit really snug and my toes were almost uncomfortable his boots were almost new but his foot is a bit shorter than mine so i dont think that his liner is impacted at the front of the boot yet.my foot felt really good in the boot but it was tight,im looking for a place to start on finding the right boot could i use this for a base,to start with?i am a beginner skier by the way!
ski holidays
Hi Guys, I was thinking abouit buying a cheap pair of skiboots off ebay and came across this site when trying to read up about them and I'm so glad i did.

My wife is Swedish and can ski anything in any conditions without looking like she is even trying, whereas I'm relatively new to the sport and have only done about 10 days skiing in total and in batches of two or three days at a time, all in Scandinavia when we are visiting friends or family (so Lillehammer, Are, Salen), but each time I go I seem to spend the first day trying to remember how to stand up and then next day trying to find a position that doesn't hurt my feet. So I'm very much a beginner.

We are off skiing to France, Les Deux Alpes in a couple of weeks and it will be my first full weeks skiing and I'm terrified of the thought of putting my feet through a weeks worth of pain from yet another pair of hire boots, so had a quick scan of the net, saw nordica did some comfortable boots with a "walk" selection and saw a pair in my mondo size (I estimate between 29 & 29.5) on ebay and was thinking of spending about £50 on them.

But having read this thread I now think I'll be better of going to a good boot fitter at the resort and spending around £300 or so getting something that fits me. But then I saw there is a huge range of experiences from different boot fitters, so the question is, does anyone have any useful feedback on bootfitters from Les Deux Alpes? Good or Bad so I can gravitate towards or away from a particular shop?

Your help is most appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I don't know anything about LDA (although have experienced the agony of hire boots!), but I'm sure someone who does will be along soon Very Happy
snow report
Sack the Juggler, There is indeed a most excellent bootfitter in LDA and his name is, I think Cedric. If you go to the big shop with the electric doors that is sort of halfway between the red eggs and the white ones, you will find the shop. Better still send a PM to Easiski, who lives in LDA and will have more up-to-date info. I have not been to LDA since 2007. She is very helpful and also offers superb teaching should you need it.

Welcome to snowHeads BTW.

snowHead
snow report
Cheers Guys, it took me a while but I reckon I've now figured out what the red and white eggs are Very Happy but just in case I'll pm easiski as I will want lessons even if the missus doesn't
snow conditions
Sack the Juggler, I can't disagree with the advice about finding a good fitter, in fact that is exactly what I did when buying some new boots yesterday. But that said the Nordica F8s I picked up in a charity shop last autumn have done me perfectly well over the last few months of learning to ski, were way better than the snowdome hire stuff and worked fine in my first week in the mountains. Great comfy boots, I just decided as I started skiing a bit faster and harder they were a fraction too big and loose (in fact have gone smaller by a mondo point!) by the end of that week when I'd got to mostly parallel skiing on reds.
latest report
Sack the Juggler, Chris Bish is spot on, Cedric is very good indeed and a nice chap with it. His shop is Jacques Sport, it is just by the the Vikings drag lifts and has a large inflatable sign outside. If you are booking lessons with Easiski I am sure she will introduce you to Cedric.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy