Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
@nevis1003, boot fitters are like Snowheads posters - some are full of poo-poo and shouldn't be trusted, and some know their onions and can give good advice.

Let's leave it to the people asking the questions who they believe.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nevis1003,
Quote:

These boot fitter threads are hilarious

You've certainly upped the hilarity factor on this one. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nevis1003, you're joking right? gotta be
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just explain to me where the boot fitter gets his information from, is it not the person he is fitting the boots to? So, you tell him the boots fit, then he tells you the boots fit? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah. Got to be true. All the boot fitter does is chuck boots at you until you tell him they fit. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Playing devils advocate here. If you walk into a shop wanting new boots, you are going to have an idea of what you want. You probably already have a pair of boots which, hopefully, fit well - so you know which model/manufacturer already works and you know approximately the right width and size you need. So unless you are reinventing the wheel, you know where to start and where the end is.

I used to do tailor made fitting in another field and, despite having a wide range of products to start with, I always asked the client what they already had, what they liked and disliked about it and what they hoped to get from the replacement. Otherwise it was a bit of a stab in the dark. The skill was to match the product too the client and fulfill their expectations.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nevis1003, it's funny, but I remember someone else bring up Decathlon boots on another thread once and it all got a bit personal and unpleasant. I looked it up and found that coincidentally it was you who brought it up and the thread was this one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lot of boot fitters seem to use a 3-D scanner these days, which takes this raw data and suggest boots to try. Of course an experienced boot fitter will then take those suggestions with the input of the client and create the magic... My youngest has just had some boots fitted like that and the result is spectacular. They fit like a glove easy to do up but with no movement, they needed some liner adjustment which was done at the fitting.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pieman666 wrote:
A lot of boot fitters seem to use a 3-D scanner these days, which takes this raw data and suggest boots to try. Of course an experienced boot fitter will then take those suggestions with the input of the client and create the magic... My youngest has just had some boots fitted like that and the result is spectacular. They fit like a glove easy to do up but with no movement, they needed some liner adjustment which was done at the fitting.

scanners can be good or bad, the raw data is useful but too many of them are attached to a database of what is in stock and then make recommendations based on what has been input as the boot sold to the last people with a similar foot shape..... now if you put the tool in the hands of a big box store with no fitters then everything in that database is corrupt as they are selling bigger wider boots to offer that comfy fluffy out the box feel, give the scanner to boot fitters who have tools and skills and the data sets are completely different as they will select a lower volume boot and adjust for the lumps and bumps

example i ski in an Atomic hawx Ultra 130 in size 28.5, i buy a UK11 shoe and if you look at my foot it looks fairly high volume and spread out until supported when it becomes narrower .... the scanner wants to put me into an Atomic Hawx Magna in a size 29.5... so 10mm longer and 6mm wider???? having skied 2 runs in a 29.5 boot on a product test as it was the only size available at the time , i can assure you i never want to do it again

so back to the start the raw data can be useful, but it needs to be in the hands of someone who can use it correctly.... and finally the thing the scanner cannot do is determine how much compression/ fit tension that YOUR foot can tolerate

so please, people, don't go trusting the computer too much
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Recently had a fitting where I tried on two different models with the largest last width they had available (102mm). Both were overly cramped around the forefoot with one ultimately also causing discomfort in the arch of my foot.

I was reluctant to commit to having a pair stretched as I was very unsure of the fit and whether stretching could resolve the issues. What sort of results can typically be achieved through stretching? How many mm increase in width? From what I've seen, it seems rare for anybody to stock last widths greater than 102mm.

I also have high insteps and both boots were too tight across here, is this easily and commonly resolved through shell modifications?

Thanks in advance! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FFS don't start off with boots that don't fit! Try and find some that have no pressure points, they will only get worse skiing. Don't be fooled by ski boot sales people trying to make boots fit which obviously don't.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CEM, makes sense that they feed the final fitted boot data back into the database but as you say it makes it vital that you go to a good bootfitter and not just a shop that sells boots...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nevis1003, these were my thoughts also. In fairness to the fitter, he did suggest try going elsewhere to see if anything fits better before shell modifications.

Issue being stocking of last widths greater than 102mm seems rare, hence my question around what can be achieved through stretching
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NBH wrote:
Recently had a fitting where I tried on two different models with the largest last width they had available (102mm). Both were overly cramped around the forefoot with one ultimately also causing discomfort in the arch of my foot.

Which boot fitter was it?

NBH wrote:
I was reluctant to commit to having a pair stretched as I was very unsure of the fit and whether stretching could resolve the issues. What sort of results can typically be achieved through stretching? How many mm increase in width? From what I've seen, it seems rare for anybody to stock last widths greater than 102mm.

I also have high insteps and both boots were too tight across here, is this easily and commonly resolved through shell modifications?

Someone more knowledgeable (CEM) will hopefully be along later but I think quite a lot can be achieved with stretching.

Ignore nevis - they are a complete tool and I think must have been cheated on by a boot fitter at some point.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
Which boot fitter was it?

This was at one of the chains (I understand the general feeling towards them on here and how they can be very hit and miss). I did however get recommendations from several people (far more knowledgeable than me) for this specific fitter and have seen positive comments about them on snowheads!

And thanks for the heads up! Laughing
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
@CEM, makes sense that they feed the final fitted boot data back into the database but as you say it makes it vital that you go to a good bootfitter and not just a shop that sells boots...

if it could be locked down to the individual shop that would be good, but currently most of the systems have a generic and mass cloud based database so if poo-poo goes in then poo-poo comes out, they put them in a couple of big european chains to start so the database is as corrupt as it could ever be

turning off the recommendations for boots means the fitter can use the raw sizing data but that's not what the customer wants they want smoke, mirrors and a machine to tell them the right boot Shocked Shocked
latest report
If you guys all try and stand on tip toes in skiis, can you get some heel lift, I dont think I have an issue, but cant have freedom in the heel when trying, and even when leaning forward as the weight is all on the front/toes.
latest report
If you try and force the heel up then it will lift. But it shouldn't in normal skiing as your weight should be going through the sole of your foot, not the toes.
snow report
yeah i do get that thanks, i guess im just a bit paranoid, when you slip or lose balance you always rock backwards dont you
ski holidays
Heel lift cant just be blamed on the tools ie.boots .... often its the person in the boots physically lacking whats needed .

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 29-01-22 0:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Sarny wrote:
yeah i do get that thanks, i guess im just a bit paranoid, when you slip or lose balance you always rock backwards dont you

If you rock backwards, your heel won’t lift.
snow conditions
Ignore nevis - they are a complete tool and I think must have been cheated on by a boot fitter at some point.[/quote]

Hello Layne, keyboard warrior, anybody who posts 13290 times on any internet forum is a tool by definition, as I've pointed out to a few others on here who spend all day typing absolute crap.
snow report
Well I was go seek a bit of advice here, but it sounds like a bit of a flame pit. Oh well here goes...

I've had the same pair of Head Edge boots for about 10 years - they've probably put in about 60 days of not too strenuous effort, so not overly worn. Got them at a ski show where Ellis Brigham were doing fitting with custom lining.

Served me well, but last couple of years I've found them really pushing against the joint of my little toes and catching my nerves - I've got big (U.K. 12) and wide feet, plus I'm pretty heavy so no doubt am applying a fair bit of downward pressure. It's now at the point where a month after getting back, my little toes are still slightly numb.

So if some adjustment or a new liner is needed or possible, I'd prefer it to a full replacement - not like I put in many weeks per year! It sounds like there may be some strong opinions here about chains like EB, so I'd welcome any suggestions or recommendations on anywhere that could give my boots (or feet!) a good once over and provide a professional opinion.

Anywhere in London or a bit further north is easily reachable for me...

Ta
RC
snow conditions
@ratechaser, Profeet Sports & Ski Boot Lab in London, Solutions4feet in Bicester and Ski Exchange Cambridge all have a good reputation. CEM of S4F posts on here.

Boots do age through use (obviously) and time (less obviously) but it's possible pinch points could be reduced to extend their life - feet also change with time.
latest report
@ratechaser Ten years may be your lot from that pair.

I was very happy with Solutions4Feet in Bicester.
ski holidays
@Paul33, @Layne, well that's 2 votes for Bicester and it's always a good day out for some cheap shopping so I'll maybe give that a go at the end of the season where there may be some big bargains to be had...
snow conditions
@ratechaser, worth calling @CEM in advance to check what stock he has, especially if you are going late season. You'll need to make an appointment anyway so you can check at the same time. If you're not looking to get something for this season you may be better waiting until late summer when the new season stock comes in.
snow report
Hi

I’d welcome your thoughts on my cunning plan Very Happy

I’m thinking of combining a trip to MK with purchasing new boots. Once purchased I want to try them out in the Snozone with my skis to make sure they fit before I go on holiday with them. Then if there’s a problem I have some chance of getting it fixed.

Ellis Bingham in the Snozone complex looks like the easy option, does anyone have experience of this shop and their boot fitters?

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jim_bob, Roscoe went there recently:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158290&start=40

And seemed to think they were OK. I bought a pair from there many years ago (late season and I was in a bit of a rush) which were OK but I got them customised at S4F the next season. The wife more recently wasn't particularly enamoured.

If you are in Norfolk I'd more inclined to go to the Ski Exchange in Cambridge. If you know your feet pretty well and work with the boot fitter you have a good shot at getting it right first time but if not you can always ski them a week and then go back. I'm not sure a couple of hours in a fridge will be sufficient to show up any problems. But I guess you could always go to MK via Cambridge.
snow conditions
Hi all, I'd welcome some thoughts on whether I am making the right purchase. First time buying boots and think my inexperience is leaving me puzzled. I've been to a shop and tried on afew pairs of touring boots. The ones I found to be most comfy were the Salomon Shift Pro AT 100. The shop didn't have the 120 variant in stock but I'm wondering if actually I'd be better off finding a shop that does.

I'm 180cm, 70kg and an intermediate to advanced skier. The main question I have is: am I compromising on the all-round performance by going for the softer boot? I think my priority is to make skiing comfortably/safely while off-piste and touring in less that ideal conditions but I do enjoy flying down the groomers and hitting some moguls. Are these boots still going to be stiff enough for abit of that?

Appreciate I might just be asking for a catch all boot that doesn't exist but any help is greatly appreciated!
latest report
@informalcrayon, welcome to Snowheads.

I think the question comes down to did the shop sell you the boot because they didn't have the correct one for you. I mean it's either the right boot or not. If you went to Solutions4Feet for example (other good boot fitters are available) if they didn't have the right boot they would just tell you, the wouldn't sell you a boot, as in your example, with a much reduced flex.

That said Flex has been much discussed on here. #1 It seems clear that the number isn't everything i.e., a 100 flex on one boot may not have in reality the same flex on another 100 boot (it's not easily measurable) and #2 some people didn't think it was that critical.

I may not have entirely helped here!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-02-22 2:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@informalcrayon, as @Layne says, flex numbers aren't easy to compare or interpret precisely. Having said that, with your stats/stated ability then if you are looking for a boot for mostly lift-served skiing, I'd think you would probably want something a bit stiffer than a 100 flex boot. Best way to be sure is to visit a decent boot fitter. Where are you based?
ski holidays
@Layne @mgrolf, Thank you both for your insight!

Definitely didn't feel like the shop (Finches in SE London) were pushing me towards buying the boot just because it's what they had in stock but, their range was quite limited. We spent most of the time attempting to find boots that were comfortable for me with a focus on the touring side of things. They also gave me loads of information about boots in general. The question I ask here came to mind while doing some further research given my newfound knowledge.

Your points #1 and #2 definitely resonate with what I've read.

I think I'll head back to the shop again this weekend and a) try on some stiffer boots and pay more attention to how they feel compared to the 100 and b) discuss with the fitter more about how they think it'll affect the lift-served side of things.

Also open to some other shop/fitter recommendations, going to be based in Leeds for the next 2 weeks if you have something I should check out?
latest report
@informalcrayon, https://www.backcountryuk.com
snow conditions
@informalcrayon, Glide and Slide in Otley, or Backcountry UK (also in Otley) are decent places near Leeds.
snow conditions
A lot of resort shops will let your rent-to-buy. This seems the best solution for the average 1-2 weeks/year UK skier. You try out various boots until they are right for you and then buy them. If you don't like any of them, you pay the rental charge.

You buy boots in the UK and then wait weeks/months to try them out on piste - and they're not right: what are you meant to do? Go into a local shop in the resort? If that's the case, then why not buy them there in the first place? Your only alternative is to ski with uncomfortable boots for the rest of the holiday and then take them back to the UK, where they're adjusted, and 11 months later you try them out again, and they're still not right. And so on.

I just don't see the logic of buying boots 8-900 Kms from where you're going to be using them for the first time, and 8-900 Kms from the original supplier who'll be adjusting them. Nor an adjustment cycle that's typically 10-12 months (UK) versus 24 hours (in a resort).
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
A lot of resort shops will let your rent-to-buy. This seems the best solution for the average 1-2 weeks/year UK skier. You try out various boots until they are right for you and then buy them. If you don't like any of them, you pay the rental charge.

Respectively, I disagree with this. This can work with skis but not with boots. And I've never heard of anybody buying boots this way. Happy to elaborate if necessary.

LaForet wrote:
You buy boots in the UK and then wait weeks/months to try them out on piste - and they're not right: what are you meant to do? Go into a local shop in the resort? If that's the case, then why not buy them there in the first place? Your only alternative is to ski with uncomfortable boots for the rest of the holiday and then take them back to the UK, where they're adjusted, and 11 months later you try them out again, and they're still not right. And so on.

A good boot fitter will get it close to right in the first place. My last boots I've never needed modifying. But if they did, it's likely that the problems would be identified after a bit of use. It's unlikely I would go out on the first morning and think this needs changing. Buying in resort isn't a bad thing but bear in mind that once the week is done you will have to return for modifications from the same fitter. If you have a fitter in the UK you can return after each trip.
latest report
Let's assume that all UK boot suppliers are as good as any shop in a major Alpine resort. Which is a big assumption, but I'll make the concession. The odds of getting it right first time are probably around 80%. The odds of not getting it right first time are thus 1 in 5. So, you're the 1 in 5 and the boots aren't right and you need them to be adjusted - what's the best option? To ski on them in that flawed state for the rest of the holiday, take them home, have them adjusted, wait 11 months, and try again or go back to the shop at the end of the day and get them adjusted and try them out again the next day?
snow report
Quote:

It's unlikely I would go out on the first morning and think this needs changing.

This. If well fitted, they're going to need a little foam bedding in, sure, but a couple of days skiing before adjustments.
snow report
Sorry to jump on this thread but can anyone recommend a boot fitter in the North of England please?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy