Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
@ymh, go to a boot fitter. Where are you based?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ymh, Agreed, you need a decent fitter. Also some boots have a mouldable shell which can increase the width by several mm in one place without affecting the heel retention.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, I have been to several boot fitters both in the UK and France, I problem is they all offer conflicting advise.
I intend to purchase the boots for next season, so there is no rush. My intention was to window shop and purchase towards the end of the year. However technology has moved on somewhat since my last purchase with what seems the manufactures now producing a small medium and large last range with the cuff to suit. I note that both solutions for feet and Profeet are both highly recommended and a visit to them would perhaps be the best option
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ymh, profeet for sure
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ymh wrote:
I am having difficulty finding a boot to suit my wide feet with very narrow heels and small calf's. My feet are 103mm wide, my instep is low, boot size is 26. The boots I want to replace are 10 year old Atomic B Tech which had the width I required with medium cuffs that gave me good heel retention. I was quite interested in the Atomic Hawk magna, however the cuff was so big on me that they felt like a pair of wellies. I have tried various other 102 last boots and cannot get good heel retention. Would it be better to get a boot with good heel retention in a 100mm last and have them blown out to fit me or go for a 102 last and have cuff reducers stuck on the liner. Alternatively, can anyone suggest a model of boots that would suit my feet

ymh, my feet are 102mm (in size 26.5). I had a Hawx Magna's predecessor (Atomic LiveFit) which were a perfect fit everywhere except arund the ankle area - they were so roomy there, they proved to be totally un-skiable on anything bumpy.

Went to Colin @ Solutions4Feet, who measured my feet unweighted with precision calipers. They measured 100mm.
Colin put me in a pair of Atomic Hawx 2 (100mm) which he expanded slightly in a outer metatarsal & toe areas.
I did not think I would ever fit in a 100mm last boot (as I've tried a tonne) and they all hurt after a short while, providing I could put them on in the first place.

Result - boots that fit like a glove everywhere, even around the ankle area, so skiing bumpy terrain is no longer a problem.

Going by my experience, if Hawx Magna (the Atomic LiveFit successor) fitted you well (other than around the shin), you would probably fit in a Atomic Hawx Prime S (wich is the Hawx 2 successor, also a 100mm last) with some fitting, providing the bootfitter knows what he/she is doing.

I would recommend Colin/Solutions4Feet wholeheartedly, you may want to give him a call and get his opinion.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ymh, there are only 3 or 4 boot-fitters in the UK who are consistently recommended on this forum, depending on where you live one will be recommended for you. Most of the others can often provide inconsistent and sometimes inaccurate advise.
Now is not a good time to buy ski boots as many models and sizes will be sold out drastically limiting your choice. Far better to book an appointment around late October next season. Good luck
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all. Bought first pair of boots in 2012 (Salomon xmax 100, 24.5), and finding that I made the classic mistake of buying a size up. Have now been measured at a 23.5 length with a wide fit.

Trouble with that is, men’s boots start in a 24.

Having received a few opinions from bootfitters this week, it’s come down to two options. Buy a women’s boot (colours don’t bother me) that fits, or buy a boot doc style foam injected liner to fill the gap.

Trade offs with each of these for sure (lower cuff on women’s boot, 24 size shell still too long), but does anyone have experience of either of these approaches?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ShaneF365, do not go for the big boot fill the gaps approach, it is not a long term solution and whilst it might feel great for the first week the foam will soon compress, you may not need specifically a womans boot, there are lots of softer flexing race boots out there which will have lower volume fits similar to the x max.... i wouldn't worry too much about the shorter cuff, i am going to make a bold statement and say if your feet are 23.5 i am guessing you are not 5'8" or above, boot cuffs are a proportional height based on the boot size, if the lower cuff is a major issue (which it shouldn't be) it is possible to put a plate in the front of the boot and raise the contact points a little
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks CEM, leaning towards the smaller boot for sure. Was fitted to a Nordica speedmachine 105 w which was pretty good - quite snug and width seems ok. Stiffness seems on a par with xmax 100, but I’m more than ok with that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should also say, I am 5’6”
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About to go back to a ski shop and get fitted for the Hawx Prime 100... felt very different than the usual garbage I rent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After 14 years, thinking about is it time to buy new ski boots. Difficult decision as I fasten my boots up and don’t worry about them for the rest of the day. My current boots are Salomon x wave 8. Still comfortable but more recognising that they may be reaching end of safe shelf life. They’ve done 20 ish weeks in the alps and many visits to a dry ski slope. Since I bought the x wave 8 my skiing has improved from intermediate to advanced . Lots of room for improvement but I would say an advanced skier. Have had about 30 weeks in the alps.

I would say a medium width. Certainly don’t think I would be a wide fit. I’m 6 ft 2 100kg typical skiing is charging around on piste. A typical day on last trip was 15000 metres vertical skiing mainly reds and blacks. Current boot is size 28. Size 11 feet.

Will visit a boot fitter probably either Rivington ski visiting parents or Bicester as live in South Wales. O where local would be recommended. Any thoughts on the boots I should be looking at or just turn up and put myself in the hands of the bootfitter.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dan100, I think most places you have to book an appointment, then just turn up and let the bootfitter select the boot. Obviously their selection will be based on your height/weight/foot/how you tell them that you ski and the type of skiing you want to do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dan100, You’re wrong, it’s not time to buy new ski boots. But only because it’s end of season and the boot fitters will have very limited stock/choice. Speak to the excellent Rivington Alpine and ask when they will have their new stock (October?) and plan a visit to your parents for then
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dan100, I think there are a few threads on this so worth doing a search. I have a similarly aged pair of x wave 8's.

My research on the subject of new boots, are that it depends on what price you want to pay. For your experience, ability, you will probably be looking for a pair of boots upwards of £300 including fitting.

However, if you look on some websites you can get last seasons boots quite cheap now before the new stock comes in. Some big discounts could be had if you are prepared to take what they have. (and they have them in your size!)

28cm is not a size UK 11, you should check this if you order online?

On decathalon website there are two boots for £139 and £149 after a 30%-40% discount which might suit me (or you). However, my size in not UK 11 and there are very few boots available in this size. (flex of 90 or 100 so well advanced)

At those prices, you have to put the liner in the oven yourself. Fitting will be a suck it and see, and use your old boots if there is a problem.
snow report
@dan100,

I was at Bicester 2 weeks ago and Colin already had most of next seasons stock in.

Don't go to any good fitter and tell them what boot you want, just tell them what you want from a boot and then listen to them explain why they think a particular boot will suit you. If what they say makes sense then go with it, if not ask them to explain further or walk away to the next one. The more honest and accurate you are in describing your needs and abilities the better they will be able to match a boot to you.
latest report
I don't even remember the brands of boots I tried on with Colin. He did vaguely mutter "I don't think I have any boots at the moment that will work for you" ( or close to that) then had a brainwave and produce the boots I have used with no adjustment for 3 weeks. ( I have small low volume feet with a high arch) Just let the fitter do their job. I'm glad I did.
ski holidays
In need of new boots so I called my local EB in Liverpool to see if there was a better time to call in to be told "we don't have our stock in at the moment and expect to be fully stocked by mid-October". None of last year's stock in either. Ventura in Haydock not open until Friday.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
In need of new boots so I called my local EB in Liverpool to see if there was a better time to call in to be told "we don't have our stock in at the moment and expect to be fully stocked by mid-October". None of last year's stock in either. Ventura in Haydock not open until Friday.

call graham at Rivington Alpine in Chorley, he should have stock in and will be able to fit you a pair rather than just sell you something
latest report
@CEM, Cheers, will do. Smile
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
halfhand wrote:

call graham at Rivington Alpine in Chorley, he should have stock in and will be able to fit you a pair rather than just sell you something

Hi @CEM , I am also after some new boots for the coming season and had planned to drive down to you from Sheffield (about a 5 to 6 hour round trip if traffic is kind)

But I have seen some quite positive comments recently on here about Rivington Alpine (including from you!) - they are about 90 mins drive from me and I can also nip in the chill factore to test them out on the way home.

At risk of doing you out of a sale , is Rivington the best option for me? I guess they are also much closer for any necessary tweaks...
snow report
@sheffskibod, I got mine fitted at Glide n Slide in Ottley who are marginally closer and you can pop into Xscape on the way home. I don't know if @CEM has a preference.
snow report
@sheffskibod, impossible to say for sure without seeing your feet but Graham will do a good job
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
planned to drive down to you from Sheffield (about a 5 to 6 hour round trip if traffic is kind)

I did that very drive the other week, and it was worth it.
latest report
Anybody in the north fit ski boots where I wont need to pay for an appointment?
ski holidays
@EjBA, fitters usually either include the cost of fitting in the price of the boots, or charge you a fitting charge based on the work done. You don't pay for the appointment itself.
snow report
mgrolf wrote:
@EjBA, fitters usually either include the cost of fitting in the price of the boots, or charge you a fitting charge based on the work done. You don't pay for the appointment itself.

not completely true

many fitters now charge for assessment and fitting then boot and footbeds, why? simply as margins have been squeezed it is the only way to actually stay in business and offer a top level of service, just like the plumber charges you for installation of the boiler as well as the boiler itself

there are many places that don't charge, that's their choice
snow report
@CEM, I stand corrected. I didn't realise the boot about charging for assessment only, but then I guess I also haven't particularly looked at the cost of individual elements of the process recently, just the overall cost (and IMO that is secondary to the value of walking out of the shop with the right boot that has been properly fitted).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just read in SKI magazine that Atomic have reintroduced rear entry boots, back to the 60's, 70's and 80's, what next Elho to reintroduce one-piece ski suits.
ski holidays
@Lee Shaw, Talked about last season, aimed at "intermediate skiers who prioritize comfort" ...

I.e. no revolution, just a tacit admission that there is a market of undemanding, not very skilled, skiers who enjoy their skiing without asking too much of the skiing part of it.

https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/savor-100-ae0001368.html
latest report
Lee Shaw wrote:
I've just read in SKI magazine that Atomic have reintroduced rear entry boots, back to the 60's, 70's and 80's, what next Elho to reintroduce one-piece ski suits.

Also a great fitting solution for people with very little flex. It may not be the best fit ever but is aimed at getting people back on the snow who may otherwise struggle with little or no plantar or dorsiflexion Laughing
snow report
Any recommendations for boot fitters in Ireland, north or south? I live in Belfast, but would drive to Dublin if there was somebody recommended. There is a Snow & Rock there but I see it's a bit of hit & miss and they might just "sell me something"

I'm kicking myself as I was in Bicester about 6 weeks ago & was otherwise engaged so couldn't call with CEM.

My trusty Salomons are way older than I'd like to admit (moved to them from SX91s) and, whilst there's nothing ostensibly wrong with them, and they're still comfortable, I'm wondering is it time to bit the bullet & get a new pair.

All a bit confused about flex ratings etc as it's so long since I was in this particular market and was also wondering if there was any way I could get an idea about how flexible mine might be so I know where to start looking. I ski reasonably hard all over the mountain inc bumps, soft (where available) and piste, but I'm getting towards my mellow years & for one week a year, a new pair this season will probably see me into retirement (from work at least - but hopefully not from skiing!) I don't think I'll need race based boots any more, but don't want to end up with something that's too soft.

The other option would be to buy in resort, but Tignes in January probably won't be the most cost-effective solution....

Thanks
CW Happy
latest report
cardweg wrote:
Any recommendations for boot fitters in Ireland, north or south? I live in Belfast, but would drive to Dublin if there was somebody recommended. There is a Snow & Rock there but I see it's a bit of hit & miss and they might just "sell me something"

I'm kicking myself as I was in Bicester about 6 weeks ago & was otherwise engaged so couldn't call with CEM.

My trusty Salomons are way older than I'd like to admit (moved to them from SX91s) and, whilst there's nothing ostensibly wrong with them, and they're still comfortable, I'm wondering is it time to bit the bullet & get a new pair.

All a bit confused about flex ratings etc as it's so long since I was in this particular market and was also wondering if there was any way I could get an idea about how flexible mine might be so I know where to start looking. I ski reasonably hard all over the mountain inc bumps, soft (where available) and piste, but I'm getting towards my mellow years & for one week a year, a new pair this season will probably see me into retirement (from work at least - but hopefully not from skiing!) I don't think I'll need race based boots any more, but don't want to end up with something that's too soft.

The other option would be to buy in resort, but Tignes in January probably won't be the most cost-effective solution....

Thanks
CW Happy

My advice, as someone who lives in NI, is to get your boots fitted in Tignes.

I used JoJo in Tignes Lac....but there is talk of him having retired.

I believe there are other good options, Jean-Charles (Ski Fast), also on Rue de La Poste. If you do a search on here, you will see recommendations.

Generally, with good Bootfitters, you need to make an appointment - and with JoJo, that really needs to be done in person (preferably on the day you arrive for near the start of your holiday). This allows tweaks during the week, if necessary.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3425004
snow report
My 20-year old boots were hurting my ankle last season so I'm going to treat myself to new ones! In the Midlands we have a Snow & Rock (Birmingham) and Lockwoods (Leamington Spa) and Ellis Brigham (Tamworth). Any recommendations? Are the boot fitters better at any of them?

What about waiting till I go to Saalbach in a few weeks and getting boots there? The shops must fit a lot of boots!

Cheers
ski holidays
@JohnOw, make a special effort and go to Solutions 4 feet in Bicester. But you'll need to ring and book an appointment. Lockwoods isn't a bad shout if S4F can't accommodate you before your trip to Saalbach and you don't want to carry on for one more trip with your current boots.

You will find different opinions on getting boots in the UK or in resort. Both have some valid pro's and con's.
latest report
@JohnOw, I got my original boots done at Lockwoods: it was a snowHeads day, with a variety of "celebrity bootfitters", so it could be considered unfair to comment on what their homegrown talent is like! But it was an overall good experience, and we took MiniRoll up there a season later: no complaints.

Thereafter we've been going to Bicester - because it's nearer, and also because it's good.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Lordie...that was a long time ago. CEM was there the day I went, as was CH20. On my 3rd pair of boots since.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, indeed it was a while ago. I think I was seen by SmallZooKeeper (I know it wasn't CEM), but could have been CH20. It was a production line!
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
cardweg wrote:

Thanks
CW Happy

My advice, as someone who lives in NI, is to get your boots fitted in Tignes.

I used JoJo in Tignes Lac....but there is talk of him having retired.

I believe there are other good options, Jean-Charles (Ski Fast), also on Rue de La Poste. If you do a search on here, you will see recommendations.

Generally, with good Bootfitters, you need to make an appointment - and with JoJo, that really needs to be done in person (preferably on the day you arrive for near the start of your holiday). This allows tweaks during the week, if necessary.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3425004

There is a fitter from Portadown who does occasional clinics in Aaron Caddell's Travel Counsellor office on the Lisburn Rd (he used to work in Climate and poss MacSki before that, but I can't remember his name). I messaged him recently to check that he's still doing it and he is, but mainly from home. He doesn't sell boots though, so only any good for making adjustments to your existing boots.

https://www.facebook.com/skiserviceni/

I also used Jojo in Tignes for some adjustments over the last 2 years at the PSB, and if he hasn't retired I'd suggest you go to him - he's reputed to be grumpy, but I got on fine with him, poss because he asked quite early on where I'm from!
ski holidays
Any recommendations on where to get boots fitted in SW London / Surrey? My two previous pairs have come from Snow+Rock (High St Ken and Chertsey), just wondering if it's worth trying somewhere else this time? I don't want to take out the second mortgage that going to Profeet in Fulham would require ....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy