Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 one luv vs K2 Burnin luv

Poster: A snowHead
This question was posed in another forum and I'm not sure how to answer it.

Quote:
Burnin Luv=Metal Laminate
One Luv= Torsion Box

What's the difference between the two?

I've demoed the one luv and thought it to be noodly
I am going on Fox's review of the Burnin luv(what was I thinking? rolling eyes )
Obviously the Burnin luv is substantial enough to satisfy a man. (see rolly eye comment above)

So what is the real difference?
I would guess that the torsion box is just that.
Offers more torsional flex to the ski(hence the noodle effect)

The Metal laminate is a sort of reinforcer to give the ski a more substantial feel, thus the loss of the noodle effect.

Am I on the right track?

I really hate it when I don't know something I should know. Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowHot wrote:
This question was posed in another forum and I'm not sure how to answer it.

Quote:
Burnin Luv=Metal Laminate
One Luv= Torsion Box

What's the difference between the two?

I've demoed the one luv and thought it to be noodly
I am going on Fox's review of the Burnin luv(what was I thinking? rolling eyes )
Obviously the Burnin luv is substantial enough to satisfy a man. (see rolly eye comment above)

So what is the real difference?
I would guess that the torsion box is just that.
Offers more torsional flex to the ski(hence the noodle effect)

The Metal laminate is a sort of reinforcer to give the ski a more substantial feel, thus the loss of the noodle effect.

Am I on the right track?

I really hate it when I don't know something I should know. Embarassed

Ahem, yes, they satisfied me, but remember, I'm only a beginner/intermediate...

Anyway, the technical difference is this...
laminate = sandwich (ok, the exterior is a cap construction, but the core is a sandwich)
you have a layer of metal, then a layer of wood, then a layer of metal.

The torsion box construction consists of weaving fibres around a core. The core is rectangular in cross section, so the fibres form a "box". Due to the way the fibres are woven (diagonal criss-cross) it is supposed to give better torsional characteristics - i.e. make it evenly stiff in all planes. (Hence the "torsion" bit)

Here's a couple of quotes from K2...
Triaxial Braided- This patented and proprietary technology wraps an interlocking fiberglass weave around the skis wood core at 38 degrees to provide a strong, lightweight ski with optimum torsional stiffness.
Torsion Box Sidewall- Torsion Box construction is K2's most widely used, yet simplest lay-up because of its versatility and its ability to create so many different kinds of skis depending on the amount of flex and torsion designed into the construction. Torsion box’s construction tends to have lively and energetic characteristics that provide a high degree of rebound and performance.

Hope that will keep the Diva in you happy! Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Anyway, the technical difference is this...
laminate = sandwich (ok, the exterior is a cap construction, but the core is a sandwich)
you have a layer of metal, then a layer of wood, then a layer of metal.

The torsion box construction consists of weaving fibres around a core. The core is rectangular in cross section, so the fibres form a "box". Due to the way the fibres are woven (diagonal criss-cross) it is supposed to give better torsional characteristics - i.e. make it evenly stiff in all planes. (Hence the "torsion" bit)

Here's a couple of quotes from K2...
Triaxial Braided- This patented and proprietary technology wraps an interlocking fiberglass weave around the skis wood core at 38 degrees to provide a strong, lightweight ski with optimum torsional stiffness.
Torsion Box Sidewall- Torsion Box construction is K2's most widely used, yet simplest lay-up because of its versatility and its ability to create so many different kinds of skis depending on the amount of flex and torsion designed into the construction. Torsion box’s construction tends to have lively and energetic characteristics that provide a high degree of rebound and performance.

Hope that will keep the Diva in you happy! Wink

Well, yes!
or should I say .YES OH YES!

This is pretty much what I was thinking. But far more wordy which is just what I needed. Thanks!
Fox, as always you're a true friend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WTFH wrote:
but remember, I'm only a beginner/intermediate

Oh yes? On whose scale? Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin wrote:
WTFH wrote:
but remember, I'm only a beginner/intermediate

Oh yes? On whose scale? Wink

Maybe Fox does ski like a girl, which is alright if he skis like I do! wink snowHead wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, Limescale.

(on the scale of the "experts" here)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More intermediate than beginner I would say....................just Toofy Grin

EDIT:
I saw some expert skiers at the PSB. I doubt many, if any, snowheads are in that league
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Orange boots say expert, shiny head says old man, accent leans more towards Aprés. I think that averages out to intermediate Razz
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
More intermediate than beginner I would say....................just Toofy Grin

EDIT:
I saw some expert skiers at the PSB. I doubt many, if any, snowheads are in that league

I'm getting the impression that I'm going to have an opportunity to hit the fox with some ski chick snow spray
Maybe I should bring the karmas instead of the luvs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, I beg to differ!

FenlandSkier, Orange boots were free. Shiny head is due to high testosterone levels. Accent is due to birth/growing up.

...Now all I need is to find a company that makes extra small condoms...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This was actually a question about equipment structure. It is turning into a social event. Maybe the admin needs to move it to apres' ski?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowHot, my fault. Perhaps if a few people would like to point out the errors in my first post, it could be brought back to an equipment thread...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, NO problems with me.
I'm quite the social diva when it comes to my skiing. I find that others, however, tend to be a bit miffed at my "social diva-ness"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think we should ignore the marketing blurb and measure the torsional characteristics for ourselves!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
(sort of ) on-topic, Mrs Axs and the two older Axsettes demoed the one luvs, burnin luvs and lotta luvs at the EB Ski Test at Xscape. Result - One pair of Burnin luvs and two pairs of Lotta luvs now added to roof box. They all liked the burnin luvs 'feel' but thought the lotta-luvs felt just as good and would be better in the powder (should they find any).
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking torsional stiffness = good on ice?
snow report
FenlandSkier, yes.
snow report
I had a pair of Rossi RPM 90 for last week's PSB and they felt very good on the ice, I don't think my B2's would have been anywhere near as good. I like in general the stiffer SL/GS skis (and from the reviews I've since read the RPM is based on the 9X GS) and it made me think a bit more about the stiffer skis I'd tested and how they'd be on the ice.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Wear The Fox Hat,For being a blonde, I asked a pretty good question didn't I?

Wear The Fox Hat, the Diva who asked doesn't seem to care now rolling eyes
snow report
SnowHot, Smile they're all good questions when it comes to things like equipment & technique.

Even if only 1 person who reads the answer learns something then it was still worth asking.
snow report
Funny thing is......I spend my time on Snowheads socializing, but on Epic, I nearly live in the gear section, and am actually known for my quiver of skis
Want me to list them? wink

I'm pretty happy that I already knew the answer to this question. I'd have been terribly embarassed if I hadn't be correct in my thinking.
snow report
SnowHot wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, the Diva who asked doesn't seem to care now rolling eyes

That's Divas for you - all Drama Queens... Wink
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I heard a rumour that you are hosting drama queen lessons at ESA. Is this true? Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Here is the thread on SkiDiva that this question was brought up.

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398

Again, I was right in my thinking of the difference, but I wanted to be sure before I posted it. As you can see Volklgirl got into it a bit more techy after I posted.
snow report
SnowHot, you mean I wrote all that reply, and you changed it to 2 lines? not fair! Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, sometimes less is more! wink
latest report
SnowHot, that's what I tell the girls...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,are you intermediate in all facetts of your life?

I remember watching video of you, and aside from the fact that you appeared to be doing drills, I'd say you're upper intermediate, not beginner intermediate, AND if you relax a bit and let yourself forget about yourself you may even be advanced.

Now the other area of your life where less is more.........are we talking about hair?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHot, oh, I'm advanced at hair loss (my bath used to have loads of hair in it, it doesn't any more). Advanced at driving (with a certificate to say so). Advanced at waist expansion (it's a growth industry for me). Everything else, I'm well below intermediate - I have too much to learn - all I need are good/willing teachers.
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
I remember watching video of you,

I was young...
I needed the money...
She said that those scenes were required, or women in the US wouldn't buy it...
Anyway, how do you know it was me? I was only ever filmed from the chest down...
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
I remember watching video of you, and aside from the fact that you appeared to be doing drills, I'd say you're upper intermediate, not beginner intermediate, AND if you relax a bit and let yourself forget about yourself you may even be advanced.

......... yes but have you seen his skiing videos yet?
snow report
DB, NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy