Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sticky on the basics of boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I shall be buying my first set of boots in the next few weeks and so I have been doing my homework reading all of the comments here, but it struck me that what was lacking was a sticky thread which just gives the basics:

Advice on buying new boots

Technical aspects of boots

etc etc

It might just save a lot of the same questions being asked over and over.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My experience of forums is that no-one reads stickies Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kosciosco, I'll get to work on it. Admin can make it stick. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't forget to mention "windlass"......... NehNeh

and "alignment"......... NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The snowHeads wiki may be a more appropriate venue, it's designed to host encyclopedic text rather than conversation:

http://snowheads.com/wiki/Main_Page

However, at the moment I suspect it is of rather low visibility...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, Nor Disney or shim, upper shell, lower shell or any other SEPPO-isms. Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tomsk wrote:
My experience of forums is that no-one reads stickies Sad

I think you're right!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only because they don't have anything much of interest in them!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosciosco wrote:
Only because they don't have anything much of interest in them!

It's not that.
People are too lazy to read the stickies and FAQ.
They're too lazy or stupid to use the search function.
They just join up, ask the question, get an answer, ignore the answer, break a leg, blame it on poor equipment, ask for more advice to ignore, break the other leg, give up ski-ing with a lame excuse of 'it's too expensive'
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tomsk, you're a bit "Eeyore-ish" today Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is at least as good an idea as the Epicski Bindings sticky. Could be quite short...

"Buying boots?

Visit (alpha order)

CEM
Footworks (CHX)
Lockwoods"

Speak to an expert, get fitted, enjoy.

PS SZK, I am not one to complain, and I know I have a tentative session dialled in, but be warned, my boots were a right old pile of kack at the weekend. I am so looking forward to being able to report miraculous differences once you get your hands on them...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I made this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20110

sticky...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tomsk, The problem is, you do the search for say "boots" and you end up with loads of threads. Some are useful, but some are very specific and unfortunately you can't always tell from the first few lines of the thread.

So you do what I did which was go through a few pages of threads, and find something useful, but you still don't get exactly the answer you are looking for.

My problem is, I have been skiing, hired boots which "supposedly" were my size and they got fitted to skis. This is enough to know when you are hiring, but not when you are buying. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on some boots, I don't want to screw it up due to my lack of knowledge on the subject.

So questions I need answering are:

Do you get the footbeds first?
If the shop you are looking at only sells 3 makes of boot, is that enough?
Do I need to know anything about bindings before making my decision?
How does the process from Bootfitter to purchase work?
What do I need to tell the bootfitter?

I could go on, but hopefully you see my point?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco wrote:
Do you get the footbeds first?

Id' say no, wait till you get the boots, but you can get them first if you must.

kosciosco wrote:
If the shop you are looking at only sells 3 makes of boot, is that enough?

<smart alec answer>They only need to sell one pair of boots, if that one pair fits you</smart alec answer>

3 brands, with several ranges, and your size - that's a good start.

kosciosco wrote:
Do I need to know anything about bindings before making my decision?

No. Bindings are built to certain standards (as are the toe and heel pieces on boots), so all alpine ski bindings will take all alpine ski boots.

kosciosco wrote:
How does the process from Bootfitter to purchase work?

<smart alec answer>You walk up to the till and hand over your credit card</smart alec answer>

The boot fitter will work with you to get the best boots, and get them adjusted/fitted for you. This may take some time. Unless he has to do major modifications to the boots, his work will be included in the price of the boots.

kosciosco wrote:
What do I need to tell the bootfitter?

<smart alec answer>"Hello, I'd like a pair of ski boots"</smart alec answer>

If he's any good, he'll be asking you the questions. Just answer them as honestly as possible. Park your ego (i.e. if you have skiied down a blue run beside a race course once, don't claim to go racing all the time)

kosciosco wrote:
I could go on, but hopefully you see my point?

Yup. I hope my answers have been helpful too!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Fox, very helpful
ski holidays
Hoppo, oh, pooh! Razz

kosciosco, I see your point, but I was making a general comment on people who appear on forums. All too often you see a new user and their first post is answered with 'Read the FAQ' or 'The answer is in the sticky'. I admit that I only read stickies and FAQ's when I first join a forum and before I start posting. After that, I hardly see them as they become 'invisible' to me - for example, without looking, I don't know if there is a sticky for this forum sub-section. I only read stickies (and FAQ's) again when I see a new thread title along the lines of 'STICKY UPDATED: PLEASE READ'.

I think a sticky about boots or any other subject would be great, but forumeers would probably get fed up of telling noobs to read it or it never gets updated because the originator has forgotten, left or it becomes 'invisible'.
ski holidays
Tomsk, there's another forum I read where the standard sig for a few people is a list of half a dozen links to FAQs or guides, they are there in most posts in a thread and still people can't find them.
ski holidays
I started a TACKY 'Buying Ski Boots' thread.
I'll try and keep on top of it answering and question from within. Little Angel
snow conditions
Tomsk, I agree with you when it comes to sticky threads in general, however because this part of the forum is very specific and people will come here for answers to a specific question, I think a New boots sticky might work.

Having said that, I think you're right in that we will still end up telling people to look at the sticky! NehNeh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy