Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt in Early March?

Poster: A snowHead
We're all booked for our trip to Zermatt the week of 10.3.2007 - 17.3.2007. Are the ski conditions generally "good" around this time of year? Obviously a lot of factors play in to this but based upon previous years, can we expect decent snow from Zermatt into Cervinia?

Thank you!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hokie1, yep, that's about peak snow depth time. Obviously whether you get 2 week old hardpack or delighfully fresh freshies is in the lap of the snow gods. Fingers crossed !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hokie1, Zermatt is a year round resort; snow in March there is about as sure-fire as you get in the Alps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Up high, Zermatt has almost guaranteed snow. Down low, it can vary wildly, from amazing through to dreadful.

Last year, skiing was possible down to the village right through until early Apr. The year before, the resort runs were all closed by mid-Mar.

On balance, you have an above-average chance of seeing good top-to-bottom snow conditions in Zermatt during your stay.

Good snow is critical in Zermatt, as on-piste is quite limited and you will need to go off-piste (with a guide, of course) if you are a good skier and want to keep yourself amused for a full week.

Cervinia town is much higher than Zermatt town, so you shouldn't have any problems with snow on that side of the hill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hokie1, You're out of luck, I've already booked the snow gods to deliver early February Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

can we expect decent snow from Zermatt into Cervinia?

You can, the pass from Switzerland into Italy is very high and there'll be full cover down to Cervinia in March. In fact there should be full cover all the way to Valtournanche about 500m below Cervinia.

You can save yourselves a couple of quid by not buying the international pass for the week. There's enough skiing on either side of the border to keep you happy for most of the week and it's better just to upgrage on days when you want to go across to the other side.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hokie1, It's not what you asked about, but the Zermatt glacier is the highest skiing in Europe, so even if you couldn't do what you want (which I would be quite shocked about), then you can at least always ski. I've skied some of the summer glacier skiing and it's excellent.

Whitegold, don't get why you would "need" to go off piste. Loads of skiing in Zermatt, unless of course you're a moderate skier who can only ski the same run once! Shock
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would say early Mar should be a great time in Zermatt. Of course, the weather will be the weather but you have given yourself every chance of good conditions IMV.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hokie1, when we were in Zermatt last January (we're going again for xmas) most of the locals told us they get most of their snow early and late season, so it should just about be the ideal time that you are there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold, we found plenty of skiing to last a week. We did have to do some runs more than once, but still loads of fun.

BTW if you go over the Cervinia on more than one day, I think that the international pass pays for itself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't get me wrong, Zermatt is a great resort, surely one of the world's top 3 overall. However, on-piste skiing is not that extensive, imho. A good athlete can ski it out in less than a week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, have you (or anyone else for that matter) done the Matterhorn Ski Safari ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, But what's the problem with repeating the same runs? I really don't get this at all. I spend nearly the whole season on the same green run, and OK I'm a bit fed up with it by the end of April, however, as I'm skiing it differently each time and taking different lines etc (with different peeps) the run characteristics change all the time. The profile also changes after every fall of snow or storm ... I've skied Zermatt twice, once in the summer which was pretty good although the uplift was dreadfully slow, and once when we only had one area of the 3 open (Rothorn?) - that was fine too. I was there for about 10 days on that occasion. Plenty to keep us amused.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got to agree with easiski, many of us just spent 4.5 days on a glacier and loved every minute. I find that when re-doing runs there are subtle differences, but similar enough so I can concentrate on technique not route finding. Conditions change too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, my brothers are hoping to have a go at it xmas week, providing there is sufficient snow cover.
ski holidays
lampbus, absolutely. I never REALLY enjoy a run when I'm doing it for the 1st time. If you have a 2nd go, I find you ski it much better as you have a fair idea of where you are supposed to be going Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charlatanefc, exactly, and what's over that little hump etc.
snow report
easiski, see, I'm not as daft as you thought I was in VT Wink
snow conditions
Zermat is guarranteed snow when ever i have been, and of course there is the added bonus of the glacier

most of it is above 2000 m that means there is a good chance of snow everywhere till april.
ski holidays
Welcome to snowheads Tom Lowe, sounds like you're a Zermatt regular.
ski holidays
nope ive been skiing since i was 5 so have been to lots of resorts in france austria and switzerland Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy