Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tamworth versus Milton Keynes

Poster: A snowHead
Setting aside any issues of travelling time and price, are there any discernible advantages of going to Xcape in Milton Keynes rather than the Snowdome at Tamworth? I have used the Tamworth slop(e) many times so is it worth heading to MK?

Thanks in advance!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I prefer Tamworth, if MK is busy uplift is very slow & frustrating. MK is also narrow because it is split into 2 slopes by a line of columns.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bh1, Sounds like the worst gang war since the Montagues and the Capulets. Cars on fire, children and women murdered, animals liberated. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, funnily enough, there's a balcony at Tamworth that might have been to blame. Laughing snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssnowman, thanks for the comments. Madeye-Smiley

Also , is Tamworth the Val d'Isere of the future?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bh1 wrote:
ssnowman, thanks for the comments. Madeye-Smiley

Also , is Tamworth the Val d'Isere of the future?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I think it's more likely to be the Bansko of the future Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Compared to MK, Tamworth does feel a bit tired, but the bend in the middle does make it feel as long as the physically longer slope at MK.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What is the longest indoor slope in the UK?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On balance, Xscape. The thing I liked about Xscape when it opened was the completely separate lesson area, Tamworth lessons were on the main slope, so nervous beginners were jostled by regular slope users.

However I know Tamworth have now got separate learners areas, but they are very small and IMO dark and feel cramped.

For the main slope MK Xscape feels brighter and looks less like the inside of a shed than Tamworth. The snow at Xscape is also better in that it is made through snow machines and not just scraped ICe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having had 3 sessions at Tamworth in August and 1 at MK last week I found the snow better at MK - more of it - we were at Tamworth early in the morning 1 day but still felt MK at 10.15am better - tho it suffered as the session wore on and I wasn't sure when it was going to get some attention: Tamworth semed to have more planned 'grooming' slots (hope thats the right phrase - def not an expert in snow or skiing) whereas MK seemed to be open non-stop - am sure someone will correct me if wrong. Get lots of drag lift practice too - no luxury travelator at MK! The bottom of one side was also closed off for tobogganing - see similar thread on this topic. It felt longer than Tamworth to me but then I spent a fair while going down in a sedate fashion just enjoying not being on a dry slope! Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bh1, contradictory opinions on this thread so best thing - go do MK for yourself then decide. Don't go on the weekend during the ski season. It's packed - long queues, dangerous slopes - and expensive! Go on a weekday anytime but late afternoon/evening (last hour or so before it closes is good too). MK has a longer skiable length than Tamworth, doesn't have a pointless kink in it, IIRC each of the main slopes doesn't seem much narrower than Tamworth, it's brighter and generally has much nicer snow. Imho.

kosciosco, currently Xscape Braehead Glasgow at 200m
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The last time I went to MK, the snow was so slow that if you tried to turn you almost came to a halt.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssnowman, when was that?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Admittedly it was a few months ago, probably June.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, what's the snow like ATM, is it better now?
snow conditions
ssnowman, reason I ask is MK went thru a very bad patch with snow quality over the last ski season, with glycol leaks and the snow-making kaput, but that was around dec through to march-ish. I think I only went once over that entire period. Otherwise, since they dug out a thick layer of bad old snow, there haven't been any prolonged periods of bad snow of late (IIRC!). Coming into ski season again now and though it's been busier snow's continued to be pretty good. However a couple of days ago they were dealing with a leak near the top of one of the slopes...
ski holidays
I can't comment as I haven't been to MK, since we live in Tamworth!

I agree, Tamworth is a bit like a poorly-lit shed, and the snow can be pretty icy first thing in the morning. It was worse during the Summer, plus it was very foggy. For the last few weeks it has actually been quite good and pretty grippy. It also teaches you how to ski on ice, which is quite helpful if you encounter it in the mountains!

I quite like the bend in the middle, particularly if it is quiet, because you can practise doing racing starts then hammer round the bend in a racing tuck, if you are so inclined. They do tend to have a lot of lessons on the main slope - the small slope is just used for kids. In particular the "Learn to Board in a Day" bunch tend to fall over right in the middle of the middle section of the piste, which is a bit frustrating if you are trying to practise long carved turns.

All in all, I think Tamworth is a whole lot better than no skiing at all, and since it is 2 miles from us, I can't really complain!
latest report
For anyone living near Tamworth, there is a 2 for 1 voucher in the latest (Nov) edition of fall-line skiing magazine. an extra hours skiing and an excellent read all for £3.65 Very Happy
snow report
Is it just me, or is Tamworth SnowDome's website bust?
snow conditions
jonm, it's just you. Sorry.
latest report
Bizarre Sad
latest report
Last season MK turned one side into a halfpipe for a while which was fun, and they sometimes have jumps. They also have rails, but as a skier (with my own skis) I don't use those. (Oh yes, they also had a huge airbag for a short while, for people to do fancy jumps onto).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy