Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift passes

Poster: A snowHead
How is it best to buy your lift passes. This is partly a general question but also partly for a trip we are organising for 8 people to Belle Plagne. It would be convenient to get the passes done before arrival so there are no hold ups.

Thanks
JP
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've organised lift passes from the rep on the bus to resort before, and pay for them then as well due to cash flow issues at the time of the initial booking. Sometimes we have had to just sort them out ourselves when we get there but also we have had the rep being the cause of the delay in getting passes before when they ran out, admittedly that was as part of a group of over 70 though so I'll forgive them for that minor miscount of numbers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
U can usually pick them up off the lift co/resort's web site - try http://www.la-plagne.com/

If I'm using a tour op I usually ask the rep if they're on commission - if they are, I let them get the passes on the promise that they rush back. If they say they're not, I just grab them myself as it's inevitabley quicker.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you want to be REALLY organised some resorts will post them out to you in the UK before you leave
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can't order them on the web, some hotels will get them for you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith wrote:
if you want to be REALLY organised some resorts will post them out to you in the UK before you leave

La Plagne will do this, that's what we did last season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith wrote:

That's exactly what we are doing for our trip to Val Thorens in Jan. Ordering from the resort via thier website, it's just one less thing to worry about and less hassle when we get here! More time for drinking as well! Just a matter of getting the money of everyone in the run up to Christmas and New Year..... Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond wrote:
If you can't order them on the web, some hotels will get them for you.

I don't know about in La Plagne, but in some resorts they'll include them as part of a package.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, yes indeed. For some reason they never offer that during peak weeks (school hols). I can understand offering little or no discount, but it seems a bit mean not to offer the convenience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, I've seen it most in Swiss hotels, but then I might have looked at more Swiss hotels so i wouldn't say they do it more often. I don't know why it's not universal really, it'd be another reason to pick one hotel over another.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup. And IIRC Austrian hotels and guest houses - even b&bs will also help.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just buy them at the lift station on the morning of your first day on the slopes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you buy of the rep and pay in stirling you usually get a poor exchange rate that's how the tour companies make extra cash. Much better to buy direct from the lift company if you can.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We do them on line - they arrrive in the UK about 3 days later with pistemaps as well. There's often a discount if you buy them before Dec 1st Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Renry wrote:
Just buy them at the lift station on the morning of your first day on the slopes

We were meeting a group to go on a day trip last year. Arrangements were 'meet at the bottom of the .... lift at 9:00'.

At 9:15 they turn up, and after 10 minutes or so one of them wanders off. I discover she is off to the caisse to buy a lift pass for that day! So that works too. (Or is this a 'faff' item?)

David rolling eyes
ski holidays
DJ, they get 5 minutes, then I'm off. If it's a powder day, subtract 5 minutes (or more if I get there early)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, you're too generous
snow report
Quote:

sometimes there are long queues. It took me 40 minutes to queue for passes in Chamonix (La Tour) one day, and that was before joining the equally long scrum to get on the damned lift. Well worth buying them in advance,and the resort web site will give details of any special deals of discounts available (for skiers under 9 months old, or over 87, that sort of thing).
snow report
masmith, true. But it's MY holiday too, not just theirs, and I don't want to spend my time standing around waiting for people.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm with you all the way !
ski holidays
masmith, only if you can keep up... Wink

...back on topic - booking early - whether it is online, on a transfer bus, or just buying them all on the first day of your trip (if you can do that) - will maximise your snow time.
snow report
or if you arrive in resort late afternoon or early evening the lift pass office is usually still open and will sell tickets to start the next day

Wear The Fox Hat, on your marks ....
snow report
masmith, you're too slow. While you're wandering round town in the late afternoon trying to buy a liftpass for tomorrow the Foxy one (having pre-ordered his) is safely tucked up in a little bar somewhere having a cold blond beer with a warm redhead.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, you're not wrong there... (although she's not a redhead).
snow conditions
Quote:
(although she's not a redhead)

redhand? Puzzled
latest report
She's a redhead in my dream Toofy Grin
latest report
FenlandSkier, stop dreaming about my girl, and this one's NOT a redhead...
ski holidays
justapurrin,
Quote:

Renry wrote:

I'm probably re-stating the obvious but NEVER attempt to buy on the first day of ski-ing (unless you want to queue a long time). It will be mayhem at the lift pass office.
Either:-
1) Book and pay in advance (never agree to pay on rute to resort, unless at a fixed euro price)
2) Checkout the resort lift company for online purchase options, there may be discounts.
3) If these arent an option, get the pass on arrival day, but again it wastes your valuable holiday time.

I alway consider my holiday time valuable on the basis 'how long did I work for each days holiday?'. Probably in the ratio of 10 day work for each day, on a 25 days paid leave per anum. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
basically if you arrive in resort mis-afternoon then it's feasible to get your own lift passes. You can get them in advance as already mentioned, but NEVER pay for them in sterling unless you're travelling with Nielsons. They are the only TO I could find who guarantee you won't pay more than the Caisse price.
latest report
I haven't been able to find this season's prices on the internet yet, all three Paradiski websites (Les Arc, Peisey-Vallandry & La Plagne) still have last year's prices.

Anyone know what a 6 day Paradiski pass will cost this season? Last season it was €229.

easiski, how does that work with Neilson? They want £160 in advance but if the price is €229 that's about £155 at current exchange rates. Do they refund the difference?
ski holidays
Pete Horn, www.ski-laplagne.fr It's in there somwhere wink Sorry I can't be more acurate at the mo Very Happy

It's here

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/85.138.0.0.1.0.phtml

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 11-11-06 22:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Pete Horn, Les Arcs and Paradiski prices for this season here. A six day Paradiski pass is €233.
snow report
Thanks, I should have been able to find the prices myself but somehow I found all the dead or out of date links Embarassed . It's all so easy finding the correct ones now.
latest report
Les Arcs last year - 5 min queues for passes in the morning.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Pete Horn, www.ski-laplagne.fr It's in there somwhere wink Sorry I can't be more acurate at the mo Very Happy

It's here

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/85.138.0.0.1.0.phtml
snow conditions
Just got season passes for the Espace Diamant, arrived by post this morning; yippee. 319 euros, discounted price if bought before end November. It's not Paradiski, only 175km of linked pistes, but still a great buy, at the same price as two weekly passes in-season. Not a well known area; a random google search brought up an article on pistehors.com, which was well out of date before the beginning of last season, though it says the page was modified in September 2006.
ski holidays
pam w, I'm about to order mine if I can work out how to pay. They want a cheque, but I don't have a French bank account.
snow report
rjs, if you mean the Espace Diamant pass, I paid by credit card, paid on line but had to send a photo and form Actually had a problem printing out the form, but that was a problem with the printer, my end. I was a bit concerned and sent them an email checking all was well. They replied promptly and I now have the passes. If you have continued problems, PM me and I'll try to help. The English on their site is so awful it's easier for me to read the French, not that my French is that good.
snow report
pam w, I had downloaded the form from the Crest Voland website, there didn't seem to be an option to pay by credit card. I'll have a look at the Les Saisies website as well though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy