Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste / off piste - another poll

What percentage of your time is spent on piste whilst ski-ing?
95% On-piste
50%
 50%  [ 69 ]
75% On-piste
24%
 24%  [ 33 ]
50% On-piste
14%
 14%  [ 20 ]
25% On-piste
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
5% On-piste
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Option for people who don't really want to commit themselves to anything but want to see the result
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 137
Total Votes : 137

Poster: A snowHead
Tim Brown, we'll agree to differ then. I'm not out to get bogged down in a game of tennis Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rich, that's find. But if you were paying for lessons from easiski, would you agree to differ with her as well? wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tim Brown, wouln't be the first time Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich, Now that is brave Shocked Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, Or stupid, still not clear on that one myself, doesn't seem to stop me though Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rich, Well I learn't skiing off piste as they hadn't invented piste machines then. I got into it more when working the Ali Ross - yes, THAT Ali Ross, who always told us to ski the same off as on. I've always found it works, and that peeps learn it easily - So there NehNeh wink wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it safe to assume that all resorts/mountains now have groomed pistes? Speaking to my better half's father, when he learnt to ski in Canada and Pau in France in the 70s he had never heard of a piste basher or groomed pistes. Does this mean there might be a generation gap thing, where older skiers have learnt to ski off-piste from the start and more recent learners rarely feel the need to leave the piste?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowshine,
Quote:

Is it safe to assume that all resorts/mountains

Er no. La Grave in France doesn't have any (except for the pisted bit next to the drag lift at the top), and Silverton on Colorado offers a lift and no pisted trails.

This is a good thing snowHead

When I taught in Scotland, it wasn't unusual to have to 'piste' the snow we taught beginners on. They thought the were being taught to sidestep at the time wink

I've voted for 50/50 'cos I think even with weeks away touring, and skiing in places like La Grave you can't get away with more than 50/50....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends where I am / who I'm with.

When I ski with my buddy in Austria, he knows his local mountains well so maybe 75 - 80% is off piste.

I'm in Switzerland for Christmas and New Year where I won't know the terrain, won't have the inclination to hire a guide, so I will be 80% on piste and 20% into the trees (is that off?)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is off-piste and off-piste. You can spend all day chopping off bits and pieces and making detours through here and there or you can be gone all day and not see a soul... In the first instance you'll have fun and can just play around with what works. Its a good intro with a bit of security, ie, never too far away from assistance, hopefully. In the second instance you really should have a bombproof turn that will get you round in anything as you just do not know what you will come across. Of course, you hope the guide has set up the day to suit your standard but you must have a techique you can trust. It doesn't matter how pretty - or not - it is, IMO, its about how safe you are.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Headplant wrote:
What's all this off piste stuff about Puzzled Never had the chance to try and wondered what all the excitement is about. I did come off a long drag lift once and tried to get back on piste through deep snow but it was all rather hard work. Can anyone tell me what the attraction and the buzz about unpisted snow is.

With a user name of HEADPLANT it may be wise to do a little more off piste ,if only to protect your fizzog with a nice soft powdery landing in the event of a HEADPLANT wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
25% piste, 50% bed, 25% bar
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, Shocked you can certainly come on a bash wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
95% for me. Still a confident beginner.....LOL

This will be my fourth time skiing, going to Whistler in Jan 07. Can't Wait. Very Happy
latest report
The lowest one should be more like 10%. Even if you intend to ski entirely off-piste you often have to ski pistes to get to or from the off-piste you are aiming for (unless touring). I checked 5% anyway (the only person)- but I reckon you'd have had many more takers at 10 or 15%.
snow report
Karlos, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

snowball, the percentages are approximate wink

I must admit the results surprised me a little bit - I thought there'd be more off-pisting, even though I'm in the 95% on piste segment and I don't see that many people heading off piste.
latest report
Hoppo wrote:
I must admit the results surprised me a little bit - I thought there'd be more off-pisting

...there's not that many on here who go to Utah... Wink Laughing
latest report
Hoppo, yes OK I realise I didn't read the question properly Embarassed Now, where's that 95% plastic option?
ski holidays
What's the other 5% Yoda? Wood wink
ski holidays
Looks an interesting "discussion". I'll read all the posts in a mo' but I have to confess, I'm a wuss. Done VB and a few closed pistes part from that the extent of my off-piste corresponds to the occasional cut corner when following a track or 20 - 30 metere stretches between adjacent pistes. Would like to do more but don't feel competent and need more lessons. Embarassed
latest report
halfhand, delete the VB and closed pistes and you've just described me as well.
snow report
I've put down 25% on-piste, although Yoda raises an interesting question - how should you count time on plastic? . For the last year and a half I think I've actually spent about 3 weeks equivalent a year on the bristles, which redresses the balance of on-snow time quite a bit. But I'm only counting that at about 50% equivalent time, because it's really only half the real skiing experience Wink. This year I will probably actually be even closer to 50% on-off, as I'm having an extra piste-only week, in addition to the PSB, which balances up the 2+ weeks which will be 100% off piste (there being no pistes at all at those destinations) and another one or two that will be about 90% off piste.
latest report
Ok, I've read all posts so far. I think I agree with Tim Brown, and easiski, in that poor technique will see you ok on-piste but will truly find you out when you venture off-piste.

For example when I did VB (yes with a guide), I'd heard that it was just like a red run which when pisted I smugly admit reds don't usually present a problem. However, I did find myself falling more often than normal. Watching the guide and a couple of my mates snaking through the powder on the upper level of the glacier did piWW me off. I could manage a couple of turns but thought it was hard work and then would often fall over or simply grind to a halt. Bad technique I'm convinced.

Another thing which gets me wondering is the definition of off-piste. I know there has been some discussion on this forum before but when we talk of off-piste do we mean the kind of thing seen in the extreme skiing videos which are always being played in the bars of ski resorts, hurtling down Corbets Couloir etc.. or do we simply mean the un-pisted areas which separate adjacent pistes, or even itinaires (sp?) which I think are like the patrolled but un-pisted areas of parts of the 4 valleys which i seem to remember struggling down one year?

Just random thoughts on the subject.
snow report
halfhand, I would tend to call off piste anything that isn't a prepared piste - as the main discriminator to me is the variability in snow conditions that you get when away from the prepared areas: the terrain, and irregularities therein, controls where or how you put in your turns rather than you having a completely free choice. I agree that this leaves unpisted blacks and "natural" mogul runs in a bit of a limbo area, but I wouldn't necessarily count them as "on-piste" either - they certainly bear more resemblance to itinerary routes than prepared pistes, and there's no difference in skiing conditions between an itinerary and an route just picked out from a map. (I think competition mogul runs do count as "prepared areas" though, and I would put them on the piste side of the border as they are way more regular in layout.) The major difference between an itinerary/unpisted-black and genuine back-country is the level of commitment and self-reliance required rather than the nature of the skiing per se.
snow conditions
halfhand 95% of off-piste skiing is not like the extreme videos. (Perhaps 99%, it depends on the video). It's just natural snow which is....not on a piste.

I'm not especially strong or fit. Its mostly timing and confidence. New, light powder isn't much harder than a good piste when you get used to it - in some circumstances it is easier- and easier than ice by a long way IMHO. I hate ice but have a perverse liking for porridge. The really hard one is breakable crust
ski holidays
GrahamN, snowball, I guess on these points i may raise my %age to around 80% on 20% off.

I too like porridge - but hot, in a bowl with sugar and milk Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy