Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsport GB to be replaced by new governing body "edited"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Your catching on, its not going to happen!

... yes, because there are dinosaurs out there who are STILL blaming Maggie Thatcher for their being losers and who have issues with "class" (something everyone else has forgotten) and sniff about "the type of people that go skiing". When I worked on cairngorm most all the racer kids were no more or less bratty than Tim Brown's chalet party. They all came from Balerno or Bearsden, mummy drove a Range Rover and none of them stood an earthly chance of getting anywhere either. But, so what?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies, I think I have helped trash what should be a serious thread with some flippant and unnecessarily abrupt comments. Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The damage done to extra curricular sport in Scottish Schools by the teachers strike in the 80s (the blame for which lies more with the Thatcher government IMHO) was huge and they have not recovered to anything like the pre-strike level, and the modern culture of regulation, rocketing insurance and litigation are further hindering the recovery. This has has a long term effect of reducing the number of people being introduced to outdoor/mountain sports, with two distinct consequences - firstly decline in the outdoor sports market and a knock on effect from that and also the reduced opportunity for sport also contributes to the "fat kids" problem. Outdoor sports is not going to be a total solution to the later problem, but increasing school age particpation and getting more people "into" sport would certainly help.

This is quite clearly an issue that will have to be dealt with at a Scottish Level, so while I am saying that the rot in this instance started because of the Thatcher govt (also sold off a huge number of school sports grounds) I would equally point the finger at the Executive and say it has not done enough to address these issues.

There are problems and issues with the current set-up and alphabet soup of organisations involved, I accept that, but I think to create the type of body envisaged ultimately in the Modernisation Document would create more issues than it solves.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller,
Quote:
... yes, because there are dinosaurs out there who are STILL blaming Maggie Thatcher for their being losers and who have issues with "class" (something everyone else has forgotten)

Sadly, if this place is anything to go by, most people have NOT forgotten about class. Sure, they drive big cars, live in big houses and own chalets in the Alps (some of them), but they have convinced themselves that 'other people' look down on them. Is there a more hated minority in this country than the Hooray Henry, for example? Time and time again the same people expose themselves as the small-minded, socially bigoted, lumps of dog dirt that they have turned themselves into.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think at the moment the main issue is no-one genuinely knows what they would 100% be signing up for if it did go ahead.

Most people can see a benefit in 95% of it, but then the other 5% hits their own "protected area" of interest. Its game over then and they won;t vote for it.

Some of this is down to trust, and handing over decision making to people that more than likely don't an individual interest in that particular niche.

My own bug bear is two fold. Firstly the complete lack of funding across the board coming to areas that need it. Racers, nordic, freestyle, in fact pretty much all of it. Each interest group is going to fight tooth and nail for their best deal as part of this ongoign process. If a central lobbying body to convince uk sport that we are all joined up, and "by the way, here is how we justify more money", then great. we won't get there until we get past this trust issue. we won't get the needed money to spend until we jump through various hoops such as this. chicken/egg....

Leading me onto my 2nd point. I don't trust BASI (fine people that they are) to run an affordable coaching scheme for "grass roots" coaching scheme members. BASI do a excellent (if expensive) job for training people upto and beyond the ISIA ski instructor standard on snow. I simply can't believe a while after BASI take over that a local dry slope instructor (likely parent or minimum wage employee) would only need to carry on with the old home nation scheme to be able to just by doing their ASSI. there would be various other courses/exams. Not a bad idea as it would raise the overall instructor standard, and provide a better pathway through to say a BASI 2 in future. I see no chance of someone affording time/money to do this just to work/volunteer a day a week at a dry slope to teach beginners.

England for example were naughty boys/girls by bringing in the club instructor award (lower than the ASSI) in the first place after an earlier deal with people like BASI in the dim/distant past. These people are needed by the dry slopes to keep instruction viable, and where many people get into the sport. Many people have variants on this argument, such as local (volunteer) race coaches who i coudl see all but disapear in future as they have to do more and more costly "training". fine, we all know good and bad coaches, but if they ALL disappear over time then we are left with the rich and thats it! Good bye dry slopes, goodbye viable snow domes, good bye "Grass roots" skiing IN THE UK.

It doesn't help that the proposal changes each time I look at it with some people in or out.

I suppose the people that care to vote are there for either financial reasons and/or personal ones. Not many will be voting purely for the good of the sport.

Personally I would like to claim I am, but my own (mis)trust leads me to fall into the voting trap I outlined above (the unacceptable 5%).

Rant over,

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 3-11-06 21:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulhothersall, I couldn't have put it better myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
paulhothersall, I couldn't have put it better myself.

I probably could have put a shorter post though!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
Winterhighland.....The proposed changes shouldn't affect SCGB anyway, but I would hope that they would not block anything that the home nations wanted.

In the 2006 SCGB annual report, John Nuttall, the chairman of the club, wrote:
Quote:
The Club cannot at this stage affect the outcome and as a consequence has withdrawn from the process. We will monitor progress, and once the new body has been formed, we will re-engage and explore how we can contribute.

So it looks as though the club is fulfilling your hope.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy