Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what are the runs like on tignes glacier?

Poster: A snowHead
As you are aware off to tignes on the 19th, can anyone tell us how long and wide the runs are and what degree of difficulty they represent. Some photos would be great. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HARRYMAC2702, Have you looked here .... www.tignes.net. Look at the Panoramic Webcam... and you can see conditions for yourself !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One black run (Leisse), a fairly easy blue (Rosolin), an easy red (Champagny), a couple of moderate reds (Glaicer and 3500). The Leisese is only likely to open if more snow falls All the pistes are a decent length, although the one problem you might have is that quite a lot of the available terrain will be taken by GS lanes used by various clubs and ski schools. This is a good photo showing some of the terrain:

The piste in the background is Rosolin (with the snowpark and nordic area behind it), and at a guess the photo was taken somewhere on the top half of 3500 piste.

More photos at a snow report at MySnowSports.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replys! Have you skied the glacier rob? any good?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I skied the Grand Motte - a week in November in the previous two seasons, and I'm going out the 18th for another week. I've enjoyed the skiing a great deal. The resort is quiet, but with a nice atmosphere - lots of anticipation for the forthcoming season, first snows of the winter, etc. The two previous trips and the one in a couple of weeks were with Snoworks on their race training course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest that the one black run is a bit more like dark red, although it does get some decent moguls if it goes without snow for a few days.

I skied the glacier one summer and was glad to be on an instruction course which made things a little more interesting. I would think that most upper intermediate skiers are likely to get bored quite quickly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I was in tignes last week and it was great to get some pre season skiing/boarding, the snow was pretty good, even had a bit of fresh. But, if you're not into your freestyle or moguls then you will find the runs limited and frustrating, especially if you have to contend with all the race teams who monopolise at least 60% of the slopes (although they're good to watch). This being said, and considering the very low accomodation/flights prices at this time of year, i would thoroughly recomend it, in fact, we're going back on the 24th. Hope you have a great time, oh, and if you get the chance, try "Le caveau" restaurant in Val Claret, great place and atmosphere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Am heading out to Tignes (Val Claret) for long weekend on 30 Nov. Just wondered when the ski teams pack up their gates. Presumably at that stage the alpine race season is underway and the glacier is quieter? Or am I being optimistic? Also at that time of year is the skiing limited to the glacier or are there more pistes generally open (I know this is weather dependant but a general picture would be very useful).

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BGA, You should be able to ski all the way down to Val Claret by that time. There will be some racers around but (IMV) they don't take up that much space. If you are really really lucky the link to Val d' may be open, but that hasn't happened this early for the last few years.

It is really dependant on the weather. The run down to Val Claret will be reallly really rocky, so use someone else's skis wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooh dear, this has filled me with a mixture of dread and anticipation! rob@rar, your photos are wonderful, but the thought of being on the mountain at the same time as good, professional skiers terrifies me! The slopes look just fine, I could cope with anything in your picture without problems, but I have to confess to never having used a T-bar before (I've used all kinds of chairlifts, bubble lifts, pomas but not a T-bar), so this fills me with even more dread at the thought I should fall off and impede the progress of a proper skier! I've only ever been skiing three times before, for five weeks, and the resorts we chose happened to have no T-bar lifts.

If you see a small lady being sworn at in French by a burly skier in a race suit, having impeded his progress by failing to ski fast enough, or falling off a T-bar, that will be me! 18th November is awfully close now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, they're not my photos, but they are very nice Smile

The T-bars are OK; not too steep and not too fast, so no need to worry. You also don't need to worry about the pro skiers either, as everybody keeps (more or less) out of each others way. Having great skiers around is part of the attraction for me of being in Tignes at this time of year, although there are more than enough mere mortals around as well Smile The 18th can't come quickly enough for me!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks ski, will leave the Gotamas at home then! If anyone is out there the same weekend and sees a less than burly skier in a Team GB catsuit then don't despair for the state of Alpine racing in this country, it will just be the stag from the stag weekend I'm on. I managed to get hold one of last season's suits; if you're not sure if it's him further clarification can be had by noting the panda headcover on his helmet and strategically placed banana.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would suggest that the one black run is a bit more like dark red, although it does get some decent moguls if it goes without snow for a few days.

Yes, the Leisses run seems to vary greatly in its difficulty. My son took me down it last year and only after we were committed did he warn me to take it easy. In his words "This run is not too easy". He is a fantastic skier, that means "it is bloody difficult". I proceeded with apprehension, but it was fine. Dark red, yes. When I caught up with him at the bottom he said, disappointed "Oh, they've pisted it, for the last week or so it has been really difficult, with gigantic moguls and bodies all over the place". That's his idea of fun and he only takes his old mother skiing occasionally. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, The Leisse is a great run ! snowHead But it's worth waiting 'til the sun has got at it wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski wrote:
pam w, The Leisse is a great run ! snowHead But it's worth waiting 'til the sun has got at it wink

Yup, this time of year it's normally full of chopped moguls with glacier ice in the troughs. After a decent fall of snow its a nice run, although I've never enjoyed the chairlift back up for some reason as it always make me anxious.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've never enjoyed the chairlift back up for some reason as it always make me anxious.

funny that, I seem to remember that the wind was blowing snow upwards at a funny angle to the ground, on that lift, and that it was a bit giddy-inducing, past the rock face. Maybe I'm thinking of a different lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy