Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

07 feburary trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

I'm trying to put together a trip through the alps this winter (febuary 7 - march 14) and wanted to bounce an idea or two of those in the know. This is my first trip to europe. Embarassed

First: To book solid or not? My idea is to pick a few spots along the way to get reservations but remian flexible to follow snow or stop and stay when something feels right.

Second: How many days will I need to budget for guiding out of a week? We are very accustomed to making our own snow /route decsions here but don't get on glaciers much in north america.

The short list, please comment

Engelberg
Verbier
Alpe d'Huez
Aiguille du Midi (what's the deal w/ this one???, 3000m?)
La Grave?
Italy or Austria?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
some of the best turns in october we've ever had. this is how to start a seasonhttp://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65931
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bridgerpow, Welcome to SnowHeads. You are very lucky to be able to spend so much time having fun. Well done you and your friends.

A quick caveat then on to the fun stuff. You are going to be here during the European school holidays. That's not such a good thing - so plan accordingly.

In French holidays, book solid or avoid France. You will almost certainly have to book Saturday to Saturday, which isn't a problem in big areas (e.g. the Tarentaise - Val d'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs, St Foy, La Plagne).

If you can get to and book La Grave, do it. It has been on my list for some time, and before anyone jumps in with cheeky comments, yes, I know, this year, maybe.

Aiguille du Midi? Do that too. I know a very good guide. I'll PM you. PS I'll include comments on accommodation....

Italy - check out the Dolomites and Monterosa.

Guiding? - Europe is different to the US. You won't actually (I don't think) be in glaciated terrain that often, so you don't need to count on getting a guide so much - if you are experienced and comfortable in BC (whihc I assume you are).

Have a brilliant time! I very much hope to check out MT some time!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch,

Aiguille du Midi? Do that too. I know a very good guide. I'll PM you.
Please could you PM me too?

Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi bridgerpow, - sounds like a fun trip; just be aware that w/c 10th and 17th February are UK half term weeks (as well as some other areas of Europe), and the first week of March is French half term. Many resorts are already completely booked for those weeks (I work in travel so am very conscious of this!) so you may not have a much flexibility to stop as and when you fancy. Wherever you DO go, have a fab time snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the resposes,

Any ideas for getting a list of the holiday schedules for respective countries?

I'd love to try to schedule around those. If accomodations are week to week for the most part maybe I should park my "follow the snow idea" and get some booked now.

Any advice on transportatin from Amsterdam to the ski areas in question? I've heard talk of cheap airfare around Europe but havn't done much research
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bridgerpow, ....welcome to snowheads... snowHead

You can check out this list of Holiday Schedules

What type of accommodation are you looking for....Hotel, apartment...? Do you want to cook your own food or eat out? We call it 'self-catering' in europe.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bridgerpow, from Amsterdam you can get EasyJet to Geneva - it's probably doable by train as well. If you're then travelling around the distances involved are small enough to use public transport or hire a car.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the list. The kind of accomodations we will end up with will ultimately be governed by cost. Self catering would be great but we probably don't want to pay a lot more for kitchens.

Accomodations are one the big variables I'm trying to get figured out soon (get it booked sooner than later). Again it's just 2 skiers looking for beds. I know some resorts might have hostel type lodging nearby but haven't found any specifics. I guess if any of the above destinations ring any alarms as expensive let me know.

I think I'd like to find a place in Northern Italy close to good skiing to book for a week and possibly one at another destination. Then hotels or hostels that you can book daily. Please correct me if this is poor logic, or expensive logic...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy