Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Killy Jacket - what have I got?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm a beginner, been 4 times finally had lessons and got down the blue run in Feb aged 37!

The old clothes I've had 4 years finally went at the seams, so I've been looking for new gear for the once a year trip. In the charity shop I've found a Killy AWT jacket, bright orange, really padded, fold away hood, multiple zips/hoods, snow skirt, thick elastic at base to stop snow going up the back when I fall down. In good used condition. I paid £7.99 did I do OK? Now I need salopettes (there weren't any with the jacket - shame) - any suggestions that won't look out of place with the jacket, I don't want to pay a fortune.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Welcome to sHs - it sounds like a bargain, Killy are a top quality brand, and you would expect to pay a few hundred pounds for a new jacket.

Salopettes - Try your Local free adds, Ebay or TK Maxx and maybe go for a dark grey, black or even brown (depending on the colour of any trimings on the orange jacket) Good luck! BTW I was also late to start skiing at aged 39yrs - I'm sure you'll enjoy a good few years of fun and learning snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead Megamum!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, Welcome! £7.99....and you want to know if you did ok??? Mr HH has a Killy AWT he paid nearly £175 half price at the ski show....mind you, his is a lovely tasteful grey!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Killy stuff always strikes me as ludicrously overpriced (but then most things do), but £7.99 sounds better than fair (even if it is orange).

Tchibo is another place for cheap and cheerful ski gear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,....welcome to snowheads.. snowHead

You were seriously overcharged for that Killy jacket..... Toofy Grin

Your post reminded me of some kit I was going to advertise on snowHeads........but as a Mega Mum I don't think it will fit you as I am a boy. Don't forget to look at the 'Buy/Sell/Exchange' section on this website. (On the Home Page (Top Left) , click on FORUM .......
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

Thanks for the welcome - I can be a bit hit and miss on these sorts of board, but only 'cos I'm often busy. However, like the proverbial bad penny I come back sooner or later. Seems like I got a good deal then. I have been and found Tchibo - not been there before. Some new and reasonably cost effective salopettes there in cream - well it might go with the orange/red - at the end of the day I guess I'd rather be warm than look like a fashion model. I don't mind the orange/red. As far as I can see it has certain advantages when I come crashing uncontrollably down the mountain, at least folks can see me coming. I'm OK when I'm controllably (and slowly Sad ) zig zaging across the mountain, but if I don't get round the turn I tend to panic and then the barrier seems a better bet than straight down! Mind you my 6 year old daughter went to the top of the bue run on the button lift last year (after 4 lessons), came off the top and didn't make any turns as she was supposed to. The skis went in line with the slope and she just went straight down, my Swiss friend who skis brilliantly chased after her, but didn't catch up until the mountain flattened out. I think she needed something bright, and probably a siren on her then! Mind you although it terrified me I don't think she was frightened by it. I've just bought everyone proper ski helmets for February (me included - it might foster a bit more confidence, though I don't really know how effective they would actually be vs. the injuries that can be sustained elsewhere). Going to post a new one about 2nd had boots that someone might be able to help me with. New subject new topic....Yes?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Killy stuff is great quality and you have got a bargain! I use Killy clothing and it is really excellent stuff.

Regarding the skiing - do get some lessons with a good instructor who can address your issue with being confident with turns!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
£7.99 can't be bad. It would be worth that just to use for gardening or cleaning the car in the winter.

One thing to check, seeing as it's used, is it's water proofing. Try running a sleeve under a cold tap and see if the water beads up and runs off or just soaks in. If it soaks in then you need to wash it with some special soap and then spray it with a suitable water proofer. Nikwax do a range of cleaners and sprays that will restore it to it's former glory if required. Don't wash it with fabric softeners etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Water proofing - right! If its the bargin you all say it is it might be worth investing in. I'll check it out under a tap as you say and see if I need this special soap. Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, I put sleeve under tap, intial slight resistance, but now have one wet sleeve. Obviously the waterproofings been washed out. Shall I just ask the local camping and general store for a product or does anyone have a product to recommend that they are pleased with. As I say its for a Killy AWT jacket.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First clean it with "Nikwax Tech Wash" and then waterproof with "Nikwax TX spray-on". It's really good stuff. Don't worry, it's probably just been washed previously with normal soap powder. Using this stuff will restore it pretty effectively. There are other similar products, but I haven't tried them. Here's their website. You can buy it in most outdoor sports shops:-

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/index.php

You realise this is going to at least double the cost of your jacket Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14613&highlight=nikwax

Last spring's thread about the topic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting read - Thanks. Double the cost of the jacket - Yikes!! Madeye-Smiley I reckon I'll run to it though.

I'm just sitting here sorting out my sons gear. He is 4 and outgrown last years ski kit. Last week in a different charity shop I picked a practically brand-new Marks and Spencer 'View From' Jacket for him - I don't think its even been washed cost £3.50! then bid for and won matching 'View From' ski trousers on Ebay with tags, just a minor second which I'm stiching now for £14, so another complete set of nearly new clothes for <£20 and I reckon looking at prices that the full set for him would have been between £60-70. There do appear to be bargins out there if you look. The M&S web site says that their clothing is technically competant so hopefully he should stay warm and dry. I'm quite tempted by the ski trouser on Tchibo myself - see earlier post to this thread - Is the £24 or the £29 pair the best bet?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To spray or not to spray. That is the question!

I say use spray-on if it's a lined jacket and wash-in for outer shells only. In either case, wash first with the Nikwax Tech Wash.
snow report
Megamum, both Tchibo trousers look OK, matter of taste, I suppose.

BTW, putting your son in matching ski jacket and trousers is illegal (or should be).
snow conditions
I've had a look at the nikwax site, and see the difference in the products. My Jacket is padded and I guess has different layers for wicking etc. So looking at the advice on the web site, and here, it seems I should still be able to use the Tech Wash if I then use the spray on waterproofer. I'll have to get shopping. That's the good thing about discovering this sort of board. Lots of good advice that folks have already tried, tested and argued over Smile . Far better than me knowing nothing leaving myself at the mercy of an over zealous shop assistant.
ski holidays
Yep, that's right. Tech wash first and then spray on the TX while it's still damp. Works a treat.
ski holidays
BTW, putting your son in matching ski jacket and trousers is illegal (or should be).

Well the trousers are pale grey and the jacket is predominately charcol, so not an exact match, but as they say 'close enough for Government work'. Mind you he's outgrown a bright yellow Columbia set, full salopettes and hooded jacket - all perfectly matched - Just too cute!! wink The thing is at 4 he can't yet object, just wait a few years he'll get his own back I'm sure. I'll stick the Columbia set on ebay when I get a moment. Santa has got him a silver helmet this year and he has blue CEBE goggles. I'll need to sort out gloves for him later on, I guess mittens again at this age? His sister is 7 - gloves this year?
snow report
Just thought that I'd let you know that I've waterproofed the jacket. Did it today in the nice sunny weather down here. Washed it in the tech wash at 30C and then pegged it up on the line and squirted it all over with the TX after it had done the spin cycle, then left it pegged on the line to dry. It wasn't too difficult and I can't see any build ups of the stuff anywhere now its dry. So I hope this will have done the trick. Will it need doing each year? I got the mixes from our local camping shop and paid £10.98 so yes it did double+ the cost of the jacket rolling eyes Thanks all.
ski holidays
Try running a sleeve under the tap again. The water should now just bead up and run off.
Now you've (hopefully) restored the waterproofing, it should last for a few seasons assuming you only use it for skiing. Always wash it in Tech Wash whenever it needs washing, but you don't have to re-apply the TX spray every time you wash it. Easiest thing to do is test it under a tap after every wash, then you'll know when to re-apply the TX spray.
ski holidays
OK, uktrailmonster will do. Btw I've found my way to the snowMedia zone, so thought I'd do the decent thing and post a pic of my notorious jacket. So there's one of me in the old pink all-in-one outfit Embarassed (I'm not proud and Yes, I have read the thread about what rotten things these are), and one of me in the revamped bargin jacket, my new helmet and goggles and new salopettes arrived today from barginboards.co.uk which is a site I picked up from a post I saw in a snowheads thread. At the moment I'm not 100% convinced that the 'look' is any better (it certainly does nothing for my figure - but as someone has already observed I probably won't be going 'on the pull' on the mountain Laughing ), but I should be warm, dry and safer. Also, if you're interested is a few pics of the mountain I finally gained some degree of 'getting down' on. All the pics are in a personal album.
ski holidays
Megamum, definitely an improvement! The only thing I'd say is the jacket looks a little short so you'll have to watch for any cold winds blowing around those areas! snowHead Keep everything well tucked in Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hi Cathy, Yes I twigged the jacket too, but I did make sure the salopettes were the bib & brace type!! Thanks for checking out the pics.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I did make sure the salopettes were the bib & brace type!!

Very wise! It should be fine then snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy