Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First boots - for narrow feet!

Poster: A snowHead
After years of hiring Sad I have decided to invest in a pair of boots, I am an intermediate venturing down mainly reds. Thing is I have very narrow feet so tend to be a bit prone to heel lift - has anyone any brand suggestions?

I am going to NEC board and ski show on Saturday so am going to try and purchase some then Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Salomon Falcon 1080.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JO wrote:
I am going to NEC board and ski show on Saturday so am going to try and purchase some then Very Happy

Not advisable. I doubt the sales person there will have the time to fit them for you properly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JO, the best boot is the one that fits U best.

er, that's it really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh yeah, don't buy them at the ski show on the basis of a cheap buy - it won't be if you have to change them later.

Are there any good ski shops in Dorset?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have narrow-ish feet and wear Lange Banshee boots. They are nice and tight particularly around the heel. I am not sure they still make them tho. I used to have Salomon Evo boots but they were too wide.

You really need to try several pairs on, preferably with a boot-fitter at your beck & call. Different brands have different ideas about foot shape, even within their own ranges so you can't generalise too much about certain brands.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have narrow, low volume feet, and Flexon Pros work for me. There's a new boot using the same sort of approach which was the subject of a thread a little while ago. It's name escapes me just now...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In general I've found Lange to be the narrowest fitting but I heard that some of their newest models are wider. Rossignol bandits are also pretty narrow as are some Salomons.
Ive always found Head, Technica and Nordica to be at the other end of the scale.

As has been said the bootfitter will point you in the right direction.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
michael stocking, The name is probably Dalbello Krypton
JO, It is very difficult to suggest a boot without having seen your feet, however I would suggest you see a competent fitter if possible, CEM in Bicester, Lockwoods in Leamington or the floppy of Zookeepers in Chamonix if you can. There are generally different widths in a manufacturers range but it is very important if you have narrow feet to start off on the right shell otherwise complications may arise Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the floppy of Zookeepers in Chamonix

Just ask for the 'Cute' one Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
the floppy of Zookeepers in Chamonix

Am I the only one that is thinking of the Not the Nine O'clock News sketch with Gerald (the Gorilla) explaining the difference between a flange of baboons and a whoop of gorillas.

Must admit the floppy is a new "collective" name to me, but I am very new here, and obviously have a lot to learn about you all.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Floppys come in 3 1/2 " and 5 1/4".

There also used to be a 8" floppy, but these are exceedingly rare.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, there's an 8" floppy not far from me right now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Trouble with the firmware again Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, Laughing no, any time I have trouble, I just reboot to refresh the memory...
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
veeeight, there's an 8" floppy not far from me right now.

Does it get used regularly these days, or it is more of an object to reflect on times past?

From experience, it's not easy finding a suitable slot to take one of that size these days.
snow report
veeeight, it's big, it's old and it's slow, and it's not used much any more. (but only the last one refers to the computer disk sitting on the desk beside me)
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
oh yeah, don't buy them at the ski show on the basis of a cheap buy - it won't be if you have to change them later.

Thanks for the helpful comment re... 'the ones that fit you best' Puzzled Pretty aware of that but before I went to buy some just wondering what other snowheads with narrow feet experiences are..

Thanks for those with helpful comments and don't worry I am not just going to buy the cheapest boot... I am going to take my time and make sure it is one I am 100% happy with.

I had heard that Rossignol do produce some more narrow boots - so maybe thats where I will start Very Happy
ski holidays
JO, don't rule in or rule out any brands. I have worn Rossi, Salomon and Tecnica boots so far in my skiing life. I'm about to buy a new pair, and I have no idea what brand it will be. My feet haven't changed shape significantly over time, but the boots that fitted me best have.
snow conditions
JO, I have small, narrow feet and recently went to see SMALLZOOKEEPER at the bootfitting clinic at Lockwoods. The best shell for me was a world cup shell at 95mm from Nordica, trouble is the flex will be at least 100. In the end my existing Langes were modified, these grip my heel brilliantly even after 10 years and SZK says Lange have now gone back to this style of last- depends on model of course.
ski holidays
JO wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

Thanks for the helpful comment re... 'the ones that fit you best' Puzzled Pretty aware of that .......

And how do you find out which one fits you best?
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
JO wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

Thanks for the helpful comment re... 'the ones that fit you best' Puzzled Pretty aware of that .......

And how do you find out which one fits you best?

Oh lordy - why did I bother rolling eyes

What is the point of your post? Of course I'm going to be trying loads on, I am not a complete novice I just have never owned a pair of boots. I just thought by asking what other snowheads with narrow feet experiences are it is a good place to start.... and it has been, thanks to all of those with helpful comments Very Happy

Thanks for the recommendation re Lockwoods but Leamington is a bit of a trek from deepest, darkest Daarrzzzet but may be worth I effort me thinks Little Angel
snow report
I just got a pair of rossignol bandit b14s fitted. I have very skinny feet and skinny calves. Theyre perfect around my narrow feet. I have to tighten them up a bit around my calf, but my calf is ridiculously skinny hehe. Salomon x wave 8s were pretty good too, tighter round the calf, but just a bit more roomy around my foot/ankle. Hope that helps Smile
ski holidays
element wrote:
I just got a pair of rossignol bandit b14s fitted. I have very skinny feet and skinny calves. Theyre perfect around my narrow feet. I have to tighten them up a bit around my calf, but my calf is ridiculously skinny hehe. Salomon x wave 8s were pretty good too, tighter round the calf, but just a bit more roomy around my foot/ankle. Hope that helps Smile

Yep sure does Very Happy
snow report
JO wrote:
What is the point of your post? Of course I'm going to be trying loads on, I am not a complete novice I just have never owned a pair of boots. I just thought by asking what other snowheads with narrow feet experiences are it is a good place to start.... and it has been, thanks to all of those with helpful comments

My point was going to be that you need a decent bootfitter to work with you to determine which boot fits you best.

But as you're not a complete novice you probably know this already, so I won't bother.
snow report
JO, pop onto the stand when you are at the show, big blue flag with Solutions 4 feet on it , not selling boots but more than willing to take a look and suggest what may work for you Toofy Grin
snow report
JO, i have very long narrow low volume feet and just got fitted last night at Profeet in London. after trying a couple pairs ended up with Lange comp 130. I had Lange boots for 6 years so looks to me that they are one decent option for narrow feet.

Interestingly (to me at least) I am a 12 A/B width and ended up with an 11 1/2 which felt WAY too small when i first tried them but after the foot beds were molded i have for the first time a boot that feels really snug. Smile

My experience tells me in future i will never go out and buy boots at a show and then after the fact take them to someone to get foot beds which is what i did for my last pair.

IMHO you need to size your boots at the same time as getting footbeds. perhaps that is obvious but i screwed up once and have learned a lesson.....
ski holidays
Well I got to the show first thing and spent an hour and a half with a fitter - in the end it was a close thing between the Rossignol Electra (which are for a narrower foot) and the Salomon Irony 8 which are for a more average width foot. The Irony 8 were a much closer snug fit and therefore there was no contest - really pleased all round. Just want to get out on to the slopes now and really test them! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JO, cool try em out on the dry slope if you can to help them bed in and wear them around the house as well....
snow conditions
scottp wrote:
JO, cool try em out on the dry slope if you can to help them bed in and wear them around the house as well....

I'll be washing up in ski-boots from now until January Laughing
snow report
scottp wrote:

Best to stand up whilst wearing them, unless you have a chair installed on your skis. Smile
snow report
Generally you will see most kids racing on Lange because they have narrow feet. That snippet coutesy of Sophie and Fatbob.
But a snowHead recommended shop/fitter should see you alright with the fit. At least, that is where I would start.
snow report
Can anyone recommend Barlett's in Uxbridge as a good boot fitter?
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:

The shop at SnowTrax (formerly Christchurch Ski Centre) and Team Ski in Dorchester are the ones the spring into mind. There's also a SnowTogs in Bournemouth. SnowTrax comes the most highly recommended.

I got my first pair of boots from SnowTrax last season - very good service there and easy to talk to. At the moment they've just got most of thier new stock in, skis, boards, clothing as well as boots - seem to have a very large selection there, mainly cos the season hasn't properly started yet. Everytime I've been in there they've been helpful and given good advice. As with alot of smaller shops (i.e. not main stream) they helped me select a few boots which may have been suitable, let me try them on (lots), recommended profeet foot beds (I've got flat feet) - and then let me take them home to where them in for a week or so - only when I was absolutely sure they were perfect for me that I took them back to get them heat moulded.

Oh and these are just my personal opinions, I'm not working for them or anything!
ski holidays
Thanks for that. I was hoping for somewhere closer to London.
latest report
xenon, best bootfitters in the country are Lockwoods in Lemington. But if you're in London, try Profeet.
latest report
(and welcome to snowHeads, xenon)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
(and welcome to snowHeads, xenon)
Looks like I need to make the journey and thanks for the welcome.
snow report
xenon, if you can, I'd strongly suggest going up to Lockwoods - get away from London for a day!
But to give you an idea of the importance of a good bootfitter, I'm going to Chamonix on Saturday just to buy a pair of boots (oh and probably for a few drinks afterwards...)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy