Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada scrapping Visitors' GST rebate scheme

Poster: A snowHead
This winter looks to be the last time visitors to Canada are going to be able to claim back tax on goods and accomodation bought whilst there, as the GST rebate program is stopping in April 2007.

See http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/qa-e.html for details.

This means that both DIY and tour-operator trips will be costing at least 7% more in future. I expect the skli resort operators won't be please and the drop in the number of non-Canadian visitors they'll be getting as a result.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From a personal point of view I've never claimed for purchases (never that organised), but I am very concerned about the cost of holidays in coming years.

It's my favorite place to go and already a bit of a treat.

Addding the tax onto holidays could make the difference betweeen one and two winter holidays a year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it the tour operators that claim back GST on the accommodation that they sell, or do individual tourists claim it back?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Currently both tour operators can claim it back, and individuals who DIY. Two weeks accomodation at CA$150/night is CA$2100 plus tax, of which GST@7% is CA$147 - or about £70. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IIRC, pre paid accomodation costs is excluded from the tax rebate scheme (you need a proper GST receipt for it, for a start). Whether this is because it is rebated to the TO, never levied in the first place or just not eligible for rebate, I don't know.

In the worst case, I wouldn't expect a 7% hike in accomodation costs to deter many visitors; the amount paid by TOs for accomodation is tiny.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond wrote:
IIRC, pre paid accomodation costs is excluded from the tax rebate scheme (you need a proper GST receipt for it, for a start). Whether this is because it is rebated to the TO, never levied in the first place or just not eligible for rebate, I don't know.

It's rebated to the tour operator.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, Yes it's a real shame that they're stopping this scheme. I saw a letter in Whistler's Pique News the other week about it. We've been booking directly with owners in recent years and it will make a big difference to us as we always claimed the tax back.

By the way, GST is 6% in now - it went down recently.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it acts a deterrent to non Canadian visitors I'd be surprised. The relative strength of the Canadian dollar has a far greater effect. The only people seriously upset are likely to be the third party claim back agents who populate airports and shopping malls making a healthy turn on every claim.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So if I buy my boots and helmet when I go out to Canada this winter I can claim back a % of tax? How does that work? Sorry if I sound ignorant/stupid! Confused Last time I went to Canada was a long time ago, and didn't buy anything of any substantial value, so I don't think it was an issue. But buying a couple of big things this year...Would be great to know! Or do they tell you this when you get there?
Sorry to hijack your thread btw!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jopo wrote:
So if I buy my boots and helmet when I go out to Canada this winter I can claim back a % of tax? How does that work? Sorry if I sound ignorant/stupid! Confused Last time I went to Canada was a long time ago, and didn't buy anything of any substantial value, so I don't think it was an issue. But buying a couple of big things this year...Would be great to know! Or do they tell you this when you get there?
Sorry to hijack your thread btw!

When we claimed back a few years ago we did it through the post and got a cheque in Canadian Dollars but you can claim back at the airport and they will refund on your credit card, which is what we will be doing this year. Have a look at this http://www.calgaryairport.com/guide/dsp_orgdetails.cfm?orgid=310&pcat=Services
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jopo wrote:
So if I buy my boots and helmet when I go out to Canada this winter I can claim back a % of tax? How does that work?

You can claim the GST portion back, not the PST portion, as long as:

each receipt is more that CAN$50 (roughly) in goods value AND
the time between purchase and you leaving the country is 60 days or less

Pick up a red booklet titled "Visitor Rebate" issued by the government of Canada - full instructions are in there.

Be careful of any other booklets, leaflets, forms schemes etc. not issued by the government of Canada - they unsually involve a commission of around 20%, in the small print.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can claim back if the agent is a the airport. When I tried at Calgary a few years back, I got a cheery sign with a smilie at the desk, saying the agent would be back at a time beyond which I had to have cleared security.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, Spot on with the figures. One other point. To claim back the tax on the goods we have always been asked to actually show the goods. First time we had already checked in so that was not possible so did nto get the rebate. Other times we have had the goods with us. Once we asked to show the items and the second time we just indicated that our cases were with us and we could produce if they wated to see the items which they did not ask us to do. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anniegirl wrote:
When we claimed back a few years ago we did it through the post and got a cheque in Canadian Dollars but you can claim back at the airport and they will refund on your credit card, which is what we will be doing this year. Have a look at this http://www.calgaryairport.com/guide/dsp_orgdetails.cfm?orgid=310&pcat=Services

Be aware that your bank might charge for deposting a non-sterling cheque.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tomsk wrote:
Anniegirl wrote:
When we claimed back a few years ago we did it through the post and got a cheque in Canadian Dollars

Be aware that your bank might charge for deposting a non-sterling cheque.

When we first did it, about 7 or 8 years ago, they sent cheques from Canada in CA$ and my bank charged about £5 to negotiate it.

But for the last 3 or 4 years, they've sent cheques from London issued in £ sterling.

(This is both claiming direct from the Canadian Revenue: not from the 3rd party agents who take commission.)
latest report
RobW, yes - same here, and it has always worked very smoothly. No need for one of the rip-off agents. Very important to make sure you pick up the official forms, not the agents forms.
snow conditions
Anniegirl,

In my experience, Calgary airport has the only customs desk that rebates your tax directly to your credit card. When I went through Vancouver last year, I got a chit that I had to mail them, followd by a (sterling) cheque in the post.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy