Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 way Radios

Poster: A snowHead
After getting lost from snowbird last year on the slopes we have decided to purchase a set of 2 way radios. Anyone got any recommendations ?? I have seen a set on ebay which seem ok for 26 notes made by Oregon Scientific.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've got Motorola ones - have their own rechargable base unit so no faffing with batteries. Batteries get a bit tired and pathetic with the cold!
Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smokin Joe, ours are oregon, got a pair with docking recharging station for about 30 quid 3 years ago and have been very happy with them!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, We have the Oregon radios (5km), which my daughter bought us from Argos last xmas (£40). They were brilliant, and I have subsequently bought another set for this year. My son got lost in Villars, but unfortunately he didn't have a radio, but was thankfully helped out by a local, needless to say we spent about 80 mins worrying and waiting for him to turn up.

There are two types of Oregon in Argos: 5km and 3km (both rechargable), I would opt for the 5km just to be on the safe side. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We bought the 5km Oregon one last year, they worked fine with no problems.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Smokin Joe, we've got motorola ones and work ok. were about £40 each and work for about a mile and half, depending on terrain. Freestyle, is right about the batteries though, so carry some spare.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have the Motorolla T5422 models - highly recomend them - splash proof, recharble and quite sturdy. No problem getting at least 5km if it is line of sight - have saved us a fortune in phone calls and many hours of searching have been saved
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe, I use Motorolla T5532.

You need to still make sure you have a clear site of your intended target as mountains have an habit of getting in the way.

Find them useful for arranging where to meet at dinner time and at the end of day.

Also mine as a scan facility on so I can pick up other peoples conversations if they haven't scrambled it. You can have a bit of fun redirecting other groups.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Super Eagle,

So that was you was it?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kieran,

Quote:

many hours of searching have been saved

......but that obviously doesn't include the hours spent searching FOR the radios every day.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5530654.htm

Claims 8km range, but all PMRs are restricted in power outputs so that range claim should be taken with a pinch of snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We got two from Dixons in the new year sale last year £20 including rechargeable batteries and charger. Less than the cost of the phone calls and texts the prevous year. Very Happy
Came with little mics/earphones and different coloured covers. Great but you do have to be on the same mountain.

Think we also get sent to the wrong cafe by Super Eagle Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought some Binatone radios from eBay last year (the model doesn't seem to be on sale anymore) and they worked up to about 8km - I was up at La Foux and could hear our guests who were in Le Seignus clearly although they couldn't hear me.

Generally, they work well although unless you're at a resort where all the skiing is on one side of a mountain/one huge bowl, there are always going to be dead spots because you're on one side of a mountain and the person you're trying to talk to is on the other.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We use our motorcycle to motorcycle radios when skiing, but they are a bit bulky (Nady), although they fit in my goggles pocket. Despite having lots of available channels, there are now so many people using radios in ski resorts that you tend to find somebody else is on almost any channel you choose. I ended up getting sworn at in Norwegian/Swedish (same words as English, or at least similar) and asked to get off their channel! We do find them useful when, for example, I'm skiing round a bit of the resort doing reds/blues/blacks I know, while Mr Docsquid goes and scouts out which new blacks I might like to do (I'm not yet confident enough to head off down any black that hasn't been recce'd first although close to it). He can then tell me to come over to the bottom of whatever lift is appropriate and we can meet up and do some of the new runs together.

Range tends to be quite good in a bowl-type resort (like Courchevel, Meribel), but obviously not so good if you are skiing on opposite sides of a ridge. In practice, on the motorbikes, we've found 1/4 mile to be the most it can cope with reliably, further if the line of sight is good.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Smokin Joe, we got fed up with mobiles in Soldeu - ofetn couldn't get to the phone before voicemail intercepted, then difficulty accessing voicemail etc. Texts taking >2hrs not helpful to say "I am at the bottom of piste X" (especially when you aren't 2hrs later). Marital strife narrowly avoided.
Last 3 skking holidays 2 motorolas have made for much easier communication (except whenSuper Eagle keeps sending us off to different restaurants wink )
ski holidays
docsquid wrote:
.... I ended up getting sworn at in Norwegian/Swedish (same words as English, or at least similar) and asked to get off their channel! .....

Just swear back at them and tell them to get off your channel! Twisted Evil

Or Froogle for 'LPD RADIO'
LPD = Low Power Device and is a new standard of low power (10mw v 500mw PMR) radio transceiving with an extra 69 channels over PMR's 8 channels. Range of LPD is short though <1km
snow report
Smokin Joe, I bought 6 (3 pairs) of the T5522's last year and they all work fine, good range (couple of km's ) and rechargeable batteries last all day. There are some going on ebay for middle £20's a pair.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-Talkabout-T5522-Two-Way-Radios_W0QQitemZ190046628959QQihZ009QQcategoryZ72405QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Worth it in my book.
latest report
I am now the proud owner of a pair of Uniden PMR 845 - thanks for all the advice and information folks ! Very Happy
latest report
Smokin Joe, I lied: the ones I bought weren't Binatone - they're the same as the ones you've bought. They've worked well for us and our guests so hopefully yours will be fine.
latest report
I have been looking at the Binotone Terrain 550. Is it worth getting them as they are only £29.95 from Comet, online?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=345040
snow report
surfski, I got some of those for Christmas. I'll be using them in three weeks' time. I could let you know when I get back.

Incidentally, does anyone know if it's possible to mix and match models and/or makes? I guess this is possible as they can work on the same frequency? Or are the variations enough that you need to check beforehand?
ski holidays
skanky, yes it is possible. We use a couple of Motorolas and a couple of (much cheaper) Binatones (I think) and now 4 (much, much cheaper) ones from Tchibo (£29.99 for 4!). They all chat away quite happily to each other, actually it's less trouble to have more as they keep each other amused.
ski holidays
richmond, thanks for that.
ski holidays
skanky, thanks for that. I have now bought them so i will test them myself walking in the mountain this wkend in N Wales. I will also report back after i get back.
snow conditions
surfski, snowHead
snow report
I've got an 'ancient' (3 year old) pair of NTL branded ones that came from Dixon's.
They worked fine with several different brands last year.
This year I changed to 750mAh ni-mh, from the 300mAh NiCd's supplied... and found that the radios would quite happily run all day, with maybe 15 mins total talk time, and show no discharge on the battery life.... whereas with similar usage on teh old batterys, they would be flat before the day was out.

The other point is that batteries have a finite life, so having user-replaceable, standard, batteries, can be an advantage.
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, ordered a pair of Uniden 635's off of ebay. Got a horrendous phone bill from Zermatt Sad
ski holidays
Well my walkie talkies turned up today, and seem to me much better ones. They are Uniden 885's. Will give them a run out in Saalbach next week!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can you contact the pistueres with 2 way radios and if so what frequency or channel is reserved
ski holidays
I've got Oregons and they're fine apart from when you're the opposite side of a tall ridge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy