Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working In Sierra Nevada, Spain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

just joined, to see what I can find out about working the coming season in Sierra Nevada...I've been told the season starts in about 2 weeks (18th or so), so I'm going to head out as soon as I can, but I don't really know what to expect as it's pretty hard to track much down about it online.

These are my sorts of questions, if anyone can shed any light;

1. How can I find cheap accomodation in the resort, is it better to spend the first few days in Granada, and try to find work and accomodation from there?
2. What's the chespest way to get from Malaga to Granada? (cheapest flights to Malaga)
3. is there a lot of work about, what are the best jobs to have, and how do you get them? (I can speak Spanish)
4.Are there any jobs where you can get a pass, or are they all organised well in advance?
5.is it possible to survive, eat, pay for a pass, go out a bit, working, say, in a restaurant?
6. What are the conditions generally like?
7. Are there enough chair lifts, or too many buttons, that mediocre snowboarders like me fall off?!
8. Are any of you gonna be there?

ANY IDEAS, LINKS, SUGGESTIONS I'D BE SO very GRATEFUL

CHEERS!

Catherine
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads Cannister7! snowHead

Hopefully someone will have some useful information for you, we do have some Spanish snowHeads
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Catherine, Welcome to snowheads. I live in Malaga and have only ever been there in a car, but i am sure you will be able to get the train from the airport to malaga and then get a bus from there to granada. The resort is not that big, and i think its expensive. its a good 30 min drive from granada to the resort center. As far as i am aware there is no snow , and would be a miricle if it opened in 2 weeks we have had teps to 27 today in malaga, very hot for this time of year. If i can be of any help to you , send me a message and i will do my best for you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cannister7, I think Granada might be a good starting point anyway as there is a lot going on there and it's only 30 mins drive up to the resort. It's a fairly large town so finding a job there shouldn't be too much trouble and you'll have more choice. Otherwise, there are mainly hotels, restaurants and a few bars in the resort. To me, Granada felt like real Spain where as Sierra Nevada or Sol y Neive, was a purpose built resort.

I skiied there in early April and the conditions were pretty good, but I heard that the resort can close due to high winds sometimes for a couple of days at a time.

I can't remember too many drag lifts, mainly chairs. The slopes were quiet and the standard of skiing is generally lower than in the Alps with a higher proportion of beginners. This meant that the red runs were fairly quiet.

I really enjoyed myself there for a couple of days and I loved Granada, especially the old part and view to the Alhambra with Sierra Nevada in the distance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

Thankyou all for that...and anyone else that comes in with more advice...

I'm getting the impression the snow won't be very good for a while (haven't checked any reports yet), so I could stay here to work a bit longer, but I don't want to miss the opportunity to get myself a job for the season, if there are some better ones going. Do you think that the stuff for the actual resort, like lift operators and so on, where you'd actually get a pass, are all taken in advance, or might they still be looking for people to do that now?

GjSpain - Do you know of a good cheap place to stay for a night in Malaga, in case I have to get a late flight? Are there any youth hostels or places like that, which are cheaper than hotels. I don't mind being in a dorm, also somewhere close to the station, would probably be good too.

Thanks again everyone.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cannister7, welcome to snowHead!
You may be able to find some other Brits who will be working there if you check on www.Natives.co.uk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Cannister7"] Hi Catherine. Firstly, Why fly to Malaga? Ryanair have daily flights from Stansted to Granada and Monarch fly from Gatwick to Granada. There are buses from the airport to Granada Centre. I'm not sure how frequent the buses are but if you book accommodation they can advise you.
Accommodation: Sierra Nevada is a pupose built resort with quite a few modern hotels which are expensive and I doubt you would find any low cost accommodation there, although the hotels all need staff so it might be possible to get a job in a hotel with accommodation, otherwise there is plenty of budget accommodation in Granada. Have a look at: http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Granada/ChosenCountry.Spain
The ski resort is great for beginers and intermediates but advanced skiers and boarders might find it a bit limited. There is plenty of artificial snow making so there always be some snow but there can be a problem with wind. It's not uncommon for the whole resort to be closed because of high winds.
As for opening in a couple of weeks, as Gjspain says 'it would a miracle'. I live just over2 hours drive for Sierra Nevada and if I get to ski there before Christmas I will consider myself lucky.
Best of luck with your trip and perhaps I'll see you there.
Peter
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a small town between Granada and Sierra Nevada called Cennes de la Vega or something like that....just through the big tunnel out of Grenada. There might be more oportunities for cheap accomodation there. B&B etc.? Not sure how you'd go about finding it but if you're a Spanish speaker you shouldn't have any trouble.

I know that one from paragliding...there's a great take off above the town and landing between the shops and the main road.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have decided to do spanish classes first (and accommodation is cheap if you do this) Am heading down in a few weeks. Will be driving, but with lots of kit. Also want a job either in Granada or at the resort so I can board.

Email me on jenniejustdoit@hotmail.com for a chat about plans and what research done so far.

I've done a snow season in france before but finding it really difficult to get info re sierra nevada as a worker. Hablo espanol?

Get in touch, it would be good to have another contact.

Cheers
Jennie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The best way if you can read and write in spanish is to introduce yourself in the Sierra Nevada forum http://www.nevasport.com/phorum/list.php?11 and ask for everything you want to know, there are around 10 ski schools, lots of ski shops, hotels, restarants and bars, so finding a job could not be too hard, BTW not too many brits working there, most are spanish and argentinians.

Saludos y buena suerte
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy