Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Underwear - silk or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Don't get excited I'm only talking long johns and vests, I've had silk inner gloves for years but never bothered replacing my trusty thermals - is it worth spending out on silk stuff?

Deb
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silk thongs are all the go this year (you heard it here first).

Seriously I believe merino wool (Smartwool, Icebreaker etc) is the way to go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go commando and wear a kilt Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go Snopus Day and have your thong spiked . . .

I've been trying Micro Modal while out on the bike, it's not as good as Merino or the serious technical fibers but it's 1000 times better than cotton. It does wick and dries very quickly (very gonad friendly)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Merino. Period.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Icebreaker top is are very good. The moths have not got at it either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Merino
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And another
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
merino. It doesn't smell, even round the knackers. Which let's face it, is a miracle.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and another for merino. After a week of continuous wear it only smells like two days. Impressive
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's a Merino baselayer test in German

http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_outdoor_35530.html

Basically they rated

1st) Smartwool Midweight Zip-T as the best (4 out of 5)

2nd) Icebreaker Skin 200 Mondo Zip & Craft Active Wool Zip (4 out of 5)

The others achieved a 3 star rating except for "Helly Hansen Prowool Stripe Zip Turtle" which was last (1 out of 5)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, best place to buy the sacred Merino baselayer?

Thanks everyone

Deb
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
always darling
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always wear a long sleeved silk vest as a base layer (of about 8 in total). Thin, light, feels good, doesn't ich and is nice and warm.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
djfletcher, in the UK you'll find Icebreaker available mail order from Ellis Brigham, S+R, Field & Trek. Can't find a stockist for Smartwool baselayer (the socks are everywhere and I recommend them), so you might do better looking at one of the German mail order shops or (judging by your location) your local ski shops perhaps?

My better half (shall we refer to her as Mrs Swiller) is also a Deb (and she owns a number of Merino items)... we were on a chairlift one b*ll*ck-freezing December in Pass Thurn. It was easily -15 and windy. I was perfectly warm. Mrs Swiller was frozen solid, teeth chattering, fists clenched, thumping thighs, screaming blue murder etc etc. You get the picture. So, in a caring way, I enquired about her underwear... "What have you got on under there?"... "Oh, nothing"... "What, absolutely nothing?"... "Yes, nothing"... "err, why?"... "Well, it was hot in the hotel and this suit makes me look fat anyway....". I'll leave the rest of the chairlift chat to your imagination. So, silk or merino is meaningless. Does my bum look big in this?... much more important.
ski holidays
I've got a bit of silk which I really like but I do have a couple of sets of odlo which are really good http://www.odlo.com/
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,

LoL! I'll see you Mrs Swiller's -15 trauma and raise you to -25 in Flaine last New Year and I was toast in my icebreakers with anti big bum baggy snowboard pants over the top! Laughing

djfletcher,

I have Primary Raynaud's so my feet and hands are always cold and I have solved the problem with Patagonia Mitts BUT other half bought me some clever wool fingerless gloves (from Monsoon see http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/89205251) with fliptop mitt which I wear under the Patagonia Mitts - so 4 layers on my hands so put me on my board and I'm a duracell bunny in a blizzard...so to speak Shocked ...but the Icebreakers are essential for keeping my core body warm...

PS. You get discount at Field and Trek if you are YHA or NUS - Icebreakers are not cheap! Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy