Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from La Plagne to Meribel...any ideas?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

I'm sorting out a group trip and one of my 'groupees' wants to escape to Meribel for a day.

Does anyone happen to know how realistic that actually is, and how the best way would be of doing it?

We're flying out there, so won't have a car, but is it possible to hire them directly from the resorts? Alternatively, are there buses that run between the resorts?

Any help would be gratefully received! Very Happy

Many thanks,

Nick.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wns198,

I suggest you e-mail the La Plagne tourist office and ask re bus service and hire cars.

But even in my own car it would take some time, the journey down from LP to Aime (ie The main road through the valley bottom) will take a minimum of 30 mins probably more depending on traffic and then from Aime to Moutier 20 mins and then Moutier to Meribel about another 30/40 mins. All dependent on traffic and conditions, a bit of snow and a lot of coaches and lorries you can probably double those time's.

I think Mouth did the same trip in the Summer hopefully she will see this thread and give you a more exact idea of times.

It's not impossible but is time cosuming, surely your mate would rather spend the time skiing. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easier on skis! From La Plagne ski to Champagny then get a taxi (bus?) to Bride Les Bains (about a 15 minute drive) and catch the Olympic Gondola up to Meribel. Probably quicker than going by road.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Excellent suggestion. Just dont miss the lifts back from Champagny €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, Excellent suggestion. Just dont miss the lifts back from Champagny €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Indeed! If you don't dawdle I reckon you could be in Meribel by 11am, so should have at least three hours skiing there before you need to head back. Why you'd want to get from La Plagne to Meribel is a puzzle though, unless you are meeting friends. You have access to an almost endless amount of skiing in La Plagne and Les Arcs, without need to head down to the valley floor and catch road transport to reach more skiing.

If you really have the "wander bug", why not ski to Les Arcs from La Plagne (about 45 minutes), catch the funicular down to Bourg St Maurice (7 minutes), taxi up to La Rosiere's Escudets (sp?) chairlift (20 minutes) then dash over to Italy for lunch, before reversing that journey. Good bragging rights in around the dinner table that night!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Also excellent suggestion. Just don't miss the lifts back from ITALY......! MEGA Bucks/euro...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wns198, The only real way would be by car. This would take you about an hour depending on road and weather conditions. I have done this trip in summer several times but not in winter. It certainly is feasable with a reasonable early start. As far as hiring a car is concerned you would need to contact the tourist office as suggested above.

There is enough skiing in whole of Paradiski to keep you busy and occupied and anyway if you stand at the top pf Grand Rochette you can see the 3 valleys quite well on a clear day!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

one of my 'groupees' wants to escape to Meribel for a day.

Curiosity/nosiness has got the better of me...... I've got to ask "why?"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wns198, I did it loads of times last season my daughter was doing instructors course in Courchevel takes 45 mins to an hour Montalbert over to 3 valleys when are you looking to go I have to go over a few times this season
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello everyone!

Sorry about my lack of response! I got dragged away with work for a few days at last minute...

To tame your curiosity though, one of the girls in the group's sister has got a load of friends over in Meribel. I've just passed on your info onto her, and she was very appreciative.

The trip to Italy sounds like a hell of a trip though! Do you think that'd involve buying a day ski pass at Les Rosiere? Is Escudets a village of Les Rosiere?

Redrunmarcus - I'll be going in the w/c 24th March...

Thank you again for all your suggestions! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wns198 wrote:
The trip to Italy sounds like a hell of a trip though! Do you think that'd involve buying a day ski pass at Les Rosiere? Is Escudets a village of Les Rosiere?

Yes you would need to be a pass at for La Rosiere/La Thuile. Take your La Plagne pass with you and you might get a discount - I did last season (day ticket in La Ros was €18 IIRC).

Ecudets isn't a village, just a chairlift at the bottom of a piste with a sweet little cafe and a car park. It's the lowest point of the La Rosiere network (1176m) and provides the easiest access to the skiing for those people driving up from Bourg St Maurice. If the snow is good the Ecudets and Fontaine Froid pistes down through the forest to the car park are lots of fun, and are well worth doing whether you are parked there or not.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK! Thanks for that Rob. Think I misread your early post re the chairlift! That makes sense now...good tip about those forest runs too! (Big fan of them!)

In terms of taxi cost from BSM to the Escudets chairlift, you can't remember vaguely how much that costs do you?

It doesn't sound like too much of a rush as long as you leave nice and early from La Plagne? As long as we'd have time for a couple of slurps of Peroni before heading back!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wns198, not sure about taxi costs as I've never caught one in BSM (you'd also need to book one for the return journey from the Ecudets chairlift down to the BSM funicular). It's quite a journey from La Plagne to Les Arcs then down/up to La Rosiere/La Thuile and back, so it would be a very rushed day to be perfectly honest. You'd need to make sure you knew the piste maps pretty well so didn't take any wrong turns.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okey dokey...thanks for the warning!! I can be a bit of a sucker for a challenge though... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wns198, i really can't understand why you would want to leave la plagne. If you wanted to spend time with the folks in meribel why don't you go there for your holiday?

I did a season in La Plagne and never got bored as the area is so big. We had a few trips over to Val D'Isere and 3v but we had our car with us. If you haven't been to La Plagne before you will be unaware of the never ending winding round up to resort. It takes around 30 mins to get down to the bottom of the valley alone.

I think if you don't know the area well any away day trip without a car could end up a very expensive taxi ride home if you got your timings wrong
latest report
I do understand that...it's just one of the group who wanted to go to Meribel, and I think she's cottoned on to the fact that it's a bit of a silly thing to do! She only mentioned it after we had booked our La Plagne holiday, so I think it would've just been a bonus if she'd been able to do it.

The Italy suggestion is just an idea, but it does sound quite fun. I don't think we'd bother doing it if we were in any way uncertain about timings, because as you say it'd be megabucks getting home! Thank you for the warning though!
latest report
wns198, .....is she a blonde...? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Ha ha! You'd think so wouldn't you?! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
A good adventure day trip would be ski to the Aiguille Rouge then the long black down to villaroger and then home. This will take a good day for holiday skier. Take a photo fron the top of the aiguille rouge cable car looking back towards la plagne to show people how far you've been (It's a long way).

Oh another thing. Go to PlanJa (the dutch bar) in Plagne Centre on a wednesday or thursday night. It's cracking. Your blonde friend will love it and forget all about Merihell. Oooops sorry, I mean Meribel Cool
ski holidays
FastCarver, When did you do your season?
ski holidays
04/05 (The season before you)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy