Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

notes I made as a beginner skier...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going on from the thread about 'how do you learn to ski' - well, I've found some notes in a book that I made whilst on various holidays. They are all based on 'how to turn' because as a beginner it was the scary thing that came at the end of a traverse. I'm not sure why we were taught some of the following:-

(in Saas Fee, 3rd week skiing, private lesson with Ottmar Supersaxo, aged about 75)
Notes:- 'bend down before turn, pole plant, stand up leaning forward and weighting turning ski, then turn, sink weight then rise again' Short turns - sink weight earlier' -----(same instructor) stem turns - make stem, when stem ski is down fall line, apply weight and turn and bring in other ski.

Lech - 4th week skiers - turns - unweight skis, lean down the fall line, let skis fall then weight bottom ski. Bend ankles, knees into the hill and pick up the edge.

Now though, when carving, I can't say precisely what I do but it feels like a whole body movement across the skis.
When it's steep I always flatten the skis and lean down the fall line and let the skis turn. I think this leaning down the fall line is what has saved me because you know you can always pick up a turn afterwards. But I'm not conscious of weighting my downhill ski more than the other now. I think that's my problem when the visibilty is bad - if I skied one ski more then there's less chance of the other been caught up and tipping me over.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy