Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would a trip to Sauze d'Oulx be a grave mistake?

Poster: A snowHead
A few pals have asked me to go in Jan. All I've heard is bad things about the place; basically, that it's a snow-free dump.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Cheers.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-10-06 22:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moot_point, Sauze d'Oulx had a very poor start for snow last season, it doesn't mean that it will be the same this year but the resort has grown a bit of a bad reputation for it. I've been there myself, went at the end of March 2004, and the snow was good in the higher areas but, as to be expected at that time of year, slushly at resort level.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't dislike the town itself, but when I went - which was January a couple of years ago - the snow was pretty thin on the ground. From previous posts on here I suspect this has been quite a common situation for a while. If you search around the internet you'll probably find records of Sauze's snow fall from previous years.

try here.
http://www.igluski.com/viewSnowHistory.cfm?rid=246&from=res&countryid=Italy&resortid=Sauze%20d'Oulx

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 26-10-06 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really like Sauze. The lift system is not the best there is (nor is it the worst) and the snow cover is somewhat sporadic. That said, it has a lot of good intermediate skiing, the village itself is very pleasant and it has some entertaining nightlife. I would happily go there again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moot_point, I've been quite a few times and January wouldn't be my choice (got a mate with an appt. there). Town itself is fine, good, reasonable price restaurants and (very) lively bars. The ski area is OK but the (Sauze) lifts are pretty cr*p and there are two key drags that can become horrendous bottlenecks. The lifts in the rest of the area are fine, especially Sestriere. Over the last 4-5 of years the pattern for snow has been a reasonable dump early on, then not much of anything until late Feb at best or March. They were very lucky with the Olympics.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It has been widely reported that average snowfall in the lower regions of the Italian Alps has dropped by some 40% over the last two decades. This could be cyclical, or it could be a permanent trend, nobody knows. Either way, it seems logical to head high if you must go to Italy. Cortina, not Sauze, would be my recommendation -- it is lower in the valley but higher up top. It is also prettier and classier (although, its lift system is still c***).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
went there in Macrh 1993 ... snowed non stop for the first 3 days dumpng over 3 metres ... then had 10 days of perfect sunshine .. superb .. not sure why we've never been back
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moot point,

I went to Sauze with a group two years ago in late Jan and we had a blast ! The snow did get very thin at the end of the bottom run but up higher was fine. Plenty of areas to ski as well and I don't have any recollection of having any huge problems at the lifts ! The village itself had a dodgy reputation some years ago but we found it fine...good cheap skiing mate !

Ben
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Sauze in '98 and I have good memories of the skiing then but would agree about the antiquated lift system. I don't know how much it might have changed following the Olympics though and if they've installed new lifts. The runs were mostly wide and cruisey and flattering (typically Italian) We did the Montgenevre thing one day though and nearly had problems getting back as they closed one of the key drag lifts early! (can't remember exactly where but I think it was somewhere between Sansicario and Sauze) However, they relented and reopened it when they saw how many of us there were (a good dozen people trying to get back to Sauze)

One thing I didn't like was that our hotel was at the bottom of the hill. We did discover pretty quickly that you could leave skis and boots part way up the mountain and then in the morning go up the first chair in shoes/walking boots. Can't for the life of me remember which chair it was though! rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moot_point - I've been twice (one of those with geetee!) and love the place. But you've got to love it for what it is - cruisy runs with lots of (excellent) chocolate stops...

It depends when in January you're going. Personally I'd avoid the beginning of January, but if it's towards the end of January then you're in with a fighting chance of good snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, ooooh yes I'd forgotten about the hot chocolate. You can't get decent hot chocolate on the hill in Whistler.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee - you remember the white chocolate with brandy swirled into it...? NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton, I think maybe I should be going back to Sauze d'Oulx!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That reminds me. I was introduced to Bombadinos in Sauze Very Happy I might have to rethink my plans for the future.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went last January, but booked too far in advance without knowing the snow situation, and it was poor to say the least. And the snow making certainly is not up to par. We didn't have a problem with the lift system...Because most of them were shut! Laughing
The board school left alot to be desired.
I liked the town though, the old town especially is very pretty.
We stayed in a really lovely hotel.
The apres is apparantly lively, but we were too nakered to experience it most of the time. There was however a lovely wine bar in the old town that we used to go in just before tea time.
Still had a wicked time though.
Quote:
That reminds me. I was introduced to Bombadinos in Sauze

Ahhh that alone was worth the trip! We were introduced to them by a boarding instuctor who said we needed to relax a little, and these would do the trick! Well they didn't do the trick, but boy-o were they yummy! Still have some of the creamy baileys type stuff they use in the kitchen! May get it out now that winter is upon us.

My advice...Book last minute, see if the snow is any good. If not then go somewhere else! I would not risk it.[/quote[/quote]
snow report
moot_point, I wouldn't book it if I were you. You're best off not even considering it. You remember what happened last winter, it will only be money down the drain wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=271185
snow conditions
I am going on a girls trip (we do this trip every year) in Febuary. Every time we go the conditions are different but as it is normally a 3 day trip if the snow is not good we can always find a bar or 2 (well I do go with Michelle Laughing).
I would be reluctant to book a week unless doing it as a late booking.
latest report
Ray Zorro, Ha, I've been greenlighted on this one. I learned my lesson last time. Little Angel
latest report
I was there a couple of weeks before the Olympics this year. Despite Sestriere being closed to recreational skiers we had a great time. The snow cover was good although the run back to the bottom of the Sportinia chair was "closed" (made for an interesting trip back). skiing at Montgenevre and Claviere was good too.

moot_point, I'd give it a go, there's plenty for a weeks's skiing and if you've got transport there are other resorts a short drive away if you get bored.
snow report
Phil Jordan, Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't make for very promising reading.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy