Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 10 North American "Elite" resorts...

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.forbestraveler.com/2006/09/18/06091811_story.html

1. Whistler/Blackcomb
2. Jackson Hole
3. Alta
4. Stowe
5. Squaw
6. Mammoth
7. Aspen
8. Red Mountain
9. Crested Butte
10. Snowmass

By the end of this season, I'll have done 8 of the 10. (so far it is 4)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And I can say I skied with you at "At least one"

Wow, does that make me special? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I'm still stuck on No. 1 - the rest will just have to wait a bit longer (unless I win the lottery of course)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beats me how Stowe made it to number 4. Stowe is appalling. A tiny ski area with only a handful of steeps, surrounded by an overrated town up to 10 miles from the slopes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I've done 9 of these (not had Red Mountain experience yet) and I'm struggling to agree with the list (especially when I look at the judging criteria). For starters, Alta has snow to die for but that's all yet it makes it to number 3. Crested Butte is in there but no Telluride? no Vail? no Heavenly? no Steamboat or Winter Park? no Park City? All of 'em better than CB. Stowe is a very nice place but would you go there rather than, say, Vail on your precious 2 week trip? And what about Taos (in a good snow year) or Big Sky? Me no understando.

As I say, not done Red, but I'm told it can be hit or miss regards to the weather and there's a bit of a one horse town in which to play and stay.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Beats me how Stowe made it to number 4. Stowe is appalling. A tiny ski area with only a handful of steeps, surrounded by an overrated town up to 10 miles from the slopes.

They need to have an East Coast representative - Mad River Glen is probably a bit wild & Stowe is local to the biggest ski town on the east coast - Burlington (home of Burton Snowboards btw).

The list is quite eclectic including the likes of Red & Alta while spurning places like Vail & Park City & Deer Valley showing its not all about the $.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bearing in mind that the main, vital ingredient is errr... weather-related, I'd argue that Whistler shouldn't be anywhere near the top.. been there a few times now and been rained on more than I ever was on Cairngorm. Then look at last season! "Never go skiing where you can see (or almost see) fishing boats". Whistler sure has every other ingredient but it's mythical status as North America's Best or even World's Best (as a few surveys would have it) is surely wrong.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whistler has this week come top in almost every major resort ranking in North America:

http://www.stellarmag.com/news/2006/10/24/0067

Given the frequent rain at resort-level, and the biting cold at the top, it is hard to see how Whistler consistently gets so much praise.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I presume that list has got a significant 'extreme' bias. Presumably that is what the elite is about in the title (?). If Jackson Hole is N. America's second best overall resort, as good as it is, N. America is struggling in the world stakes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It kind of surpises me too. That said, my wife and I love Stowe (call me a homer). I think the village compares very favorably with places like Lech, Saalbach, or Park City. Lots of really good dining options. There are two Mexican restaurants and we can't really decide which we like best, both are very good. There are a couple of apres ski bars that I could probably go to every day. Hell, I could go to the Matterhorn everyday and be happy. The skiing is limited in terms of extent but there is very good terrain. And if you're a back country tree skier it's supposed to be really good. My only reason for not hyping Stowe, and this applies to the entire North East) is that the weather is just so fickle. Rain followed by cold = ice. Last year we had a very good week in Stowe in January. It was pouring rain the day we packed up to leave. And the skiing for the next week or two was not very good. Actually, from what I've heard it was pretty bad. My two best days skiing were at Alta. My third best day skiing was at Stowe. I wouldn't recomend crossing the pond to ski in the North East, unless you had other reasons to visit. The west has much more consistent snow conditions. But when Stowe had good snow, it's pretty special.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It surprises me how much whinging goes on about rain in Whistler.

Season number 4 is coming up for me in Whistler, in all the past 3 seasons of around 150 days plus skiing each, I can honestly say that I've only had about 5 days in 450 days where I've had my gloves soaked through rain.

In the month of January 2006 the snowfall was over 180 inches. I certainly remember fresh tracks powder mornings, not rain.

Get a grip, ski the top of the mountain. With over 8000 acres of terrain, don't ski at resort level. Alternatively stay in Europe and whinge about the rain in Whistler.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, cause it's easier to whinge and talk about how much better Europe is, than it is to spend a time in resorts, and find out what they are really like!

I've been to Whistler, and can well understand why it is consistently considered a top resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, a friend of mine publishes travel guide books. When he did the North American one, he had quite a job convincing resort marketing managers that he didn't actually want them to pay hard $$$ dollars to be included.

There is a much better correlation between resort marketing budgets and their placings than resort quality and their placings IMV...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight,

I'm always delighted when it rains in Chamonix, - you can apply that to most resorts IME- you just go to bed early.. wink Laughing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whistler

raining in the village = snowing on the mountain (99% of the time)

snowing in the village = powder!! on the mountain - yippee! Very Happy
ski holidays
I,ve done all of them at least twice some in double didgits.

Every season we get these league charts of resorts except they change the name from "greatest" to "best" to "biggesst" to "Elite" blah blah blah !

Why are Americans so obsessed with this kind of crap ?
ski holidays
David Murdoch, So, a 1 to 10 of marketing budget size Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
veeeight, Having been rained on in Whistler a couple of times, and soaked through, yes the skiing is really really good, really really good - but getting soaking wet on your way back to the hotel doesn't actually enhance your holiday experience - especially if you are going to have to do some of your walking with kids. If you are younger and a bit more hardcore in your attitutude maybe this doesn't matter, but I for one like to walk around a resort village at night in crisp cold air with the hairs in my nostrils freezing, and not to have to dodge puddles. Skiing is not the only important bit of a Skiing holiday. This is one reason why I have been to Whistler just the once, but JH 4 times and LL 4 times and Vail (which should be on the list) twice plus other resorts in the Rockies which I would return to before Whistler.
snow report
rain at resort level is always miserable.. even if it does mean snow up top..
whistler is a great resort.. but on the downside the apres is rather bland and its so very many hours and time zones away if your in europe ..
if you dont have weeks of ski time each winter then i would stick to the best sking mountians in the world for sking fun and atmosphere.. the alps.. and of course amuse yourself by talking about the rain on the west coast Cool
latest report
Read the article and you get an idea how they reached the decision:

"In an effort to narrow the list to 10 of the continent's best resorts, we polled six influential members of the ski community."

I would think that a few more than 6 people need to be asked to get a definitive answer even if they are influential members of the ski community (Fox are you one of them)!
latest report
Sherlock Chalets, Probably put a thread on Epic and then wrote up the posts rolling eyes
snow report
My wife is Canadian and has only ever skied at Whistler. I was attempting to watch "Lex Bronzes Font du Ski" (basically a French version of a Carry On film, centered around skiing) with her and there was a shot of people sitting out on deck-chairs at the end of the day, enjoying a little apres ski. She could hardly believe her eyes being used to huddling in the Longhorn, trying not to get dripped on

Having said that, I really enjoy Whistler. The only real negative for me is that it's a bit of a victim of its own success - too many people chasing the freshies
ski holidays
As this is turned into a bit of a thread on Whistler I'll add a few comments. The last time I went I had probably what is the single most memorable run of my life - first shot straightline in waisthigh fresh down Sun Bowl (Harmony Bowl had already been a bit tracked by access from th T bar) off about the third chair on Harmony. This was after about 3 days of upper mountain closure and a further 1.5 hours waiting for patrol clearance. The next day the peak opened and that was mighty fine too.

My parents who I was visiting were at the same time complaining about the miserable wet snow, overcrowded runs and ridiculous lift lines on Emerald. They are cruisers who like North American resorts for the quality of the grooming, the service, reliable natural snow and uncrowded slopes. They are not inclined to go back. I suspect they spend more on resort incidentals than me.
snow conditions
fatbob, discovered sun bowl on my last trip - it's a lot of fun. but there's so much fun skiing at whistler. i do think it tries to be all things to all people and it isn't, really. if you're early advanced or below in ability (ie you'll try black diamonds but won't go near double blacks) it isn't all that great. for the most part that terrain is below the treeline and pretty dull IMO.
ski holidays
Arno, I don't think that's true. There's plenty of terrain around Harmony for early advanced without doing scary double blacks. e.g. Low Roll and some of the other horseshoes are certainly do-able by an early advanced if the snow is good. If you're with someone who can show you around then there are endless opportunities to try out some of these areas without having to do scary bits.
latest report
geetee, maybe i haven't investigated enough, but the lines below the treeline just don't get my heart pumping. but my last post was attempting to speak for early advanced skiers so you probably have a point
latest report
Arno, how about IN the trees? I loved Club 21 last season and Unsanctioned was open too and good fun. Seppos is pretty good too and when we had a big dump we did the Garbanzo lift line - not sure I'd be that fussed about doing that one if it was hardpacked though.
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
geetee, maybe i haven't investigated enough, but the lines below the treeline just don't get my heart pumping.

Maybe we should go skiing in Whistler sometime - I can think of a few that might wink

-Whistler mountain
VD trees/ho chi minh trail
International trees
Garbanzo lift line/Seppos
Gun barrels
Kyber pass
Ratfink/Chunkies/Blue line
Upper (and lower if there's lots of snow) Insanity
etc

-Blackcomb
Cancer man
Fraggle rock
Outer limits/Arthurs
Raptors ride etc
The bite/Overbite/Heavenely basin/etc
etc

wink snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Cancer man

oooh - where's that one??
snow report
It's a secret! wink Razz
latest report
Don't worry - I'll find out next season NehNeh
ski holidays
stuarth, maybe you're the man to convince the that tree skiing is all that snowHead

doubt i'll be in Whistler this season, but probably will be next so maybe we'll hook up then. always keen to be shown new places away from the crowds
snow conditions
Does that sit ski guy still nail things like chunky's faster than most people on 2 legs?
ski holidays
stuarth, you forgot Big Timber on Whistler snowHead
snow report
Sounds like a Whistler party brewing
ski holidays
JT, yep and only 78 sleeps to go..... Very Happy
snow report
Whistler for the 3rd time for me this January..can't wait Very Happy
snow report
As this seems to have turned into a bit of a whistler thread thought i'd just post to say if you're heading out there let me know and we can meet up for skiing/beers. Hels
ski holidays
Well we fly out on Jan 12th for 3 weeks Very Happy
ski holidays
Geetee
We fly out on Jan 13th for a week!
Very Happy

Hels
Beers sounds good! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy