Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Custom footbed BEFORE ski boot?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been in the market for some new ski boots, and have tried on a number of pairs, narrowing down the field of contenders. However, the boot fitters I've spoken to so far have always only mentioned the process of choosing a boot, and subsequently tweaking the boot and footbed if possible/necessary.

But I can't help but think that it would make more sense to try different boots with a footbed that already supports my foot properly? After all, having flat feet, a footbed would lift my arches and shorten my feet and such a footbed would affect the fit of any boot I end up trying/buying in terms of length, volume and placement of ankle bone etc...

Maybe this is an obvious question for some, but having only ridden hire and low-end boots so far, I'm just wondering if this makes sense. Does it make sense to get a proper insole BEFORE deciding on the right ski boot? Do people do this, or people that already have a pair and go for new boots, do they take them to the shop for the fittings?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skibomb, A custom footbed will support your foot correctly and conditions the shape and position of your foot inside the boot, so it is preferable to choose the boot whilst using the footbed. Due to different boot shapes it will be necessary to fine tune the footbed once the boot is chosen for perfect adaptation.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skibomb, I had a custom footbed made for my old boots, and I used it when choosing new boots. As they were both Salomon, the old footbed fitted perfectly into the new boot with a minimum of trimming (as the new one was half a size smaller). I'm not sure it made that much difference when I was choosing, as I was mostly worried about the feel of the boot around the ankles and shins, but it seemed a sensible way round to choose a new boot with a footbed already moulded.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Thanks for that - it seemed obvious somehow, but I don't understand therefore why the footbed issue seems almost an afterthought in most bootfitting scenarios I've experienced: you choose a boot that seems to be a snug fit for the shape of your feet, after which you change the shape of your feet with a foot bed Puzzled

docsquid, For my own feet, for example, I know that a supported arch would shorten my foot by about half a mondo size, which could certainly make a difference between choosing a shell that's 10-12 mm too long or one that is just right!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting point Skibomb et al - do a quality bootfitters like Lockwoods thus select a footbed for their customers before getting into the ski boot fit deliberations?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
White Gold, As soon as the sock comes off and the foot is naked the analysis begins. Certain symptoms being obvious as this point. After there are resistance tests to presure(a squeeze in the hand), elongation measurements and flex tests. This, in my case, is all being processed similtainiously. Bootshape and foot type can be chosen simply by looking at the client when they walk in. A short stocky person will more often than not, require a wide high instep shoe, thus reducing the selection on contact. Equally, a tall skinny person, a narrow thinner shell. Each time you see a client there is new information available, constant re-assesment as to average parameters, what is a medium width foot/ medium height instep. This for me is what make the difference between a good bootfitter and an exceptional one, their ability to assess and process the information before them quickly and correctly. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your comments Smallzookeeper Very Happy I understand the collective pool of bootfitting skill to which you refer, filled over many years of hand-squeezing the fruits of your labours...

So, like a dentist must fear with regard to unbrushed teeth, do you fear the client that shows up with unwashed feet Shocked

If I were to go to a ski boot shop in search of buying new ski boots, should I expect to choose a footbed first and then get on to buying the right pair of boots, or does a skilled bootfitter's 'simultaneous processing' mean that it can be done in either order?

Cheers me snowies snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
White Gold, Feet, footbeds, shells, liners, socks, beer, home, bed. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely it should be:

beer, feet, beer, footbeds, beer, socks, beer, shells, beer, liners, beer, home, beer, bed, beer, for the most enjoyable bootfitting day out!?!? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
White Gold, the skill of the bootfitter (and, ideally, his/her ability to properly and accurately get you balanced well in the boot, as well) will likely lead to them knowing by looking what boots are best for you. The basic shell fit usually happens with and without the footbed. However, any real fit tweaks happen after the footbed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Odd you should put it like that White Gold, but there was a fridge full of beer involved as part of the footbed making process.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssh wrote:
White Gold, the skill of the bootfitter (and, ideally, his/her ability to properly and accurately get you balanced well in the boot, as well) will likely lead to them knowing by looking what boots are best for you. The basic shell fit usually happens with and without the footbed. However, any real fit tweaks happen after the footbed.

That denies the need for a footbed. You're suggesting that the footbed has no effect on foot form. rolling eyes Laughing Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As a newbie, I must admit I thought along the same lines as ski bomb; I have already had a pair of footbeds made even though I have yet to find boots that fit (off to Lockwoods tomorrow to hopefully rectify that). It seemed logical to me that the footbed would affect both the shape and the volume used inside the boot, so as I was aware I would need footbeds for my flat feet, I went ahead and had them made to help get a better fit when trying boots on.

One point though White Gold, as the beer comes before the feet, were you drinking in the womb? Good man!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy