Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski backwards? And how to learn to do that little jump to get there and back?

Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin OK. I would be over the moon if this year I could learn that little trick where you ski along at a moderate speed, do a little standing jump, land backwards and carry on skiing backwards.

And to be able to get back round again.
Without pain.

Any ideas on how to train for this? Are there any exercises away from the snow that might possibly help too?

Youth is not on my side anymore, so I'm going to have to learn by technique rather than sheer hung-ho....

< waits for lots of off-topic replies >
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you jump through 180 standing still (on or off ski's) ?

When I taught myself on snow I started by doing 'flat spins' where (staying on the ground) I leaned to spin around and ski backwards. It's probably best be comfortable doing flat spins and skiing backwards before taking any air. It's then a question of finding the right jump to play with. I favoured something small and slow that popped me up, maybe from the piste onto the off piste. That way I didn't have to cope with a fast landing when it all went £$%"£$^£.

It all worked after a few goes. I've got some video of one that didn't go so well if I can dig it out.

It's partly a head game and having the confidence to try. But choosing your spot and speed will help eliminate things going badly wrong.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/U4Sh7YzDbh4

Almost . . .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TJon, I suppose you mean a switch, small jump, rotate skis 180, they do not have to go the full 180 around before you land the key is to be looking over your shoulder when you have rotated. Keep your head still, rotate your body. Most people will be able to rotate one way much better than the other.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dunk, ????? Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/U4Sh7YzDbh4

Almost . . .

Smile I like it- it all looks too familiar! Blush
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I undrstood what I meant... too many chips not enough fishes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Starting on snowblades is a good idea - far easier. Do a 360 first, blades absolutely flat (whilst proceeding at slowish speed on flattish slope). Even I can do a 360 on blades. My trouble is that my age the old head starts spinning- never mastered that ballet dancer head flick thing. I went up a button lift last year behind a couple of French lads showing off, flipping round and going up the lift backwards, then flipping back. Flat skis the whole time. I pretended to be unimpressed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
there was a sequence for doing a 180 in last months Fall Line
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good tip I learnt last year for making skiing backwards easier - if you push the outside ski back a bit (well I suppose forwards to the direction you are going if you're going backwards!) it makes turning much easier. Also make sure you keep your hands by your pockets and poles sticking out kind of sideways so you look like a proper jibber boy Razz
Braquage (sp!) is a good exercise for the flat spin without leaving the ground (amongst other things) as it teaches subtle edge control which you need to butter the flat turn.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd go along with pam w, even I can 360 on the snow on Snowblades. It is much easier than on long skis, and particularly than on carving skis. It is also a very good edge control exercise, as well as being fun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
-

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 27-10-06 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
>>Ok, its much easier to do on snow than on dry slope. Plus you certainly wont get me trying it with carving ski's on a dryslope!

For sure - snow is the best place to play with this. It's gona hurt on the plastic Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A 180 flat spin is achieved by either:

1. getting a tiny amount of air off of a bump etc...

or

2. jumping your whole body weight up, not easy if your tall or heavy.

The best way to find out in pictorial format is as someone else said, Fall-Line did a whole feature on it!

NOTE - A flat spin or d-spin (dead) is not necessarily without air, it just means your skis are flat instead of invert! can be with or without air, as I do at Gloucester, and better at Tamworth!

And finally, yes I do have Mad Steez when I'm jibbin with my hands down by my sides and poles sticking out, that way I can pretend I'm cool with the park rats!

A

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 27-10-06 11:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
- Removed -

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 27-10-06 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Adam

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-10-06 9:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If your'e ever at CAS I could try and teach you?

Going up the lift backwards is the best part of skiing at Xscape, watching everyones faces as they're expecting you to fall off Laughing
snow report
Actually you cannot consider yourself to be a backward skier, until you can do it on a pair of 220cm DH boards with flat tails. snowHead
latest report
Anyone got a link to the fall-line article. I had a look on www.fall-line.co.uk but could not find anything for a 180. Only serious stuff like 720 tail-grabs ( waaaaaay out of my league !)
snow report
When I have a mo i will scan the article in for you

A
snow report
pistemeister, you forgot to say skinny freeheel:

http://www.whitegrass.com/downloads/octskiMorgan.wmv

Warning: long download . Best to right click and Save.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy