Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for teaching on the artificial slope

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have just started teaching on the artificial slope and am currently using Crossmax 10's. They are a great ski for going round the mountain like a bat out of hell but i don't find them great for teaching and doing demo's. I think they are too stiff.

Has anyone got any advice on a good pair of ski's for teaching? I am 6'4 and about 16 stone.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads Roy Burridge, snowHead

I've no experience of teaching but, sticking to the range, the lower numbers on Salomons are softer so the Crossmax 8's might do the job?

Anyway, there are quite a few dry slope instructors knocking around snowHeads, I'm sure u wont see one for ages then 3 will turn up at once Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dry slope? What is this dry that you speak of?

Hey - you can ski anything on a dry slope - but to do a good demo your technique needs to be spot on, eg; hips over heels at turn initiation etc.

At 16 stone I doubt very much that you are overpowering the Crossmax 10's.

But length has more influence over stiffness on a dry slope for slow speed demonstrations. Go shorter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Burridge, I haven't skied on a dry slope in thankfully a few years but I'd echo veeeight's advice - go shorter. For a start, you don't have the space for any long radius (sp.) turns.

I'd be slightly tempted to have very blunt edges - as I don't recall Dendix (I assume you're not on one of the new materials) being particularly useful for carving. I will temper that by admitting I haven't been on plastic since 1998 so never reallly used shaped skis.

And I'd want something with a really tight radius - an old pair of Slalom skis or the like.

As admin, says there are many SHs out there with experience - including many who race (?) on plastic so I'm sure the day will bring more informed advice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 24-10-06 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What a great Response, i did not expect that many answers so quick.

The Crossmax 10's are great. Even on the dry slope they are good and veeeight is right that at 16 stone i am not overpowering them. On the mainslope they are not a problem. The time i do find them to stiff is teaching level 1 - 4 (up to improving snowplough turns). As i said before they are great at speed but not very slow on the nursery slope.

Obviously i don't want an expensive new pair. I was going to look on e-bay for a second hand pair.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Roy Burridge, I have been teaching on plastic for about 8 years and I have generally tended to use slope skis (albeit the better ones) for teaching rather than wreck my own skis. I weigh 15 st and generally tend to use 165/170 to teach on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roy Burridge, What standard of group are you teaching ? If I'm with beginners, I'll use slope skis - no point in wrecking my edges snowploughing wink

As the standard of the group increases, I'll use sharper skis... but...I'll also pay attention to the skis that my group have. There is no point in me trying to demonstrate or teach something that the group's skis (and boots) won't do Shocked

Remember that some of the skidded demos, snowploughs, plough parrallels (basic swings rolling eyes ) work better without sharp edges.

If you do use your own skis, Polar-X will prevent too much damage.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roy Burridge, I only use the slope skis what ever. I somethimes wonder if instructors should also wear the slope boots now and again to see what the clients have to put up with . . . .

I'm with David Murdoch and veeeight, shorter is good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Down at my local dry slope quite a few instructors use twin-tip freestyle skis. I suspect it's because they have a softer flex Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always used to use the slopes own gear - it's not like you need a pro tuned ski to demo a snowplough. If you can't do a good demo in the slopes eqpmt then how would you expect the clients to manage it Smile aj xx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much. Great advice from many people. I will give the slopes ski's a go and see what they are like.

Roy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The instructors at Xscape tend to use twin tipped ski's, suppose it's advantageous when skiing backwards and teaching the person in front of you.

They also tend to go with Salomons because they're a bit more flexible (I think.)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roy Burridge, I use anything except my newest skis as dendix does tend to quickly destroy skis. It is quite good fun teaching on old 2M planks (beginners and early plough parallel) makes you realise how much ski technology has progressed. Off to MK Xscape tomorrow (thurs) to test my new skis ( https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/4-1-2006.jpg ) will not use them on plastic for a season or two.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

They also tend to go with Salomons because

......... they don't know any better. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
or they dont like wood cores lol
snow report
Nothing works well at low speeds on artificial slopes. Going shorter is about all you can do to help. I never found that edge sharpness made any difference skiing on bristles!
latest report
Roy Burridge, You could buy my old pair currently on ebay here Very Happy

I'm a bit shorter than you, but about the same weight (i.e. lardy Very Happy) So I think they'd be fine for just scuzzing about on a dry slope.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy