Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekender in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking into the possibilities of doing a long weekend in La Plagne but haven't had much luck getting accommodation. Has anybody got any tips/advice ? Cheers

Redowl
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redowl, have you tried the Hotel Ancolie in Champagny-en-Vanoise? We stayed there a couple of years ago, and they were flexible about dates even over new Year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No I havent but thanks for the tip, much appreciated.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some mates of mine who have done lots of weekends swear by the resorts that are easy from Milan/Turin. I'd mainly skiied the large french domains previously including Les Arcs & LPx2, AdH, 3v etc, but for a weekend I felt that Cervinia was wicked. 90 minutes transfer (self-drive hire car) , flights with sleezy jet and a range of hotels that seemed resonably happy to take long weekend bookings over easter. Great terrain, good food and bars WIHOUT SMOKERS!!! (how nice was that!!)

I think LP is very 'week to week' and you might struggle to find weekend spots as it doesn't have an obvious catchment source, and therefore perhaps doesn't cater to weekending in the same way.. have you tried here http://thermique74.nuxit.net/phpBB2/index.php which is the forum from our friends in perso-laplagne, as they might have an inside view.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't but thanks for the link. I wouldn't normally choose LP but a group of mates are also out there for the week but i cant get the time off for the whole week so thouht I would look into a weekend trip. Once again thanks for the tip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen,

How did you find getting to and from Hotel Ancolie particulary in the evenings. Friends are staying in LP 1800 and I am guessing we will spend the majority of nights in LP-centre.

Thanks Redowl
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redowl, Getting from Champagny to La Plagne in the evening would be a no go as they are on other sides of valley. Fine to meet up and ski during day but not for the evening. This would not work for you. If your friends are in Plagne 1800 then your best bet is staying in Plagne centre, Plagne soleil, Bellecote or Belle Plagne as there are buses that run between the resorts.

Check out the La Plagne webiste for possible accomodation as some will do short breaks - www.la-plagne.com
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouth wrote:
redowl, Getting from Champagny to La Plagne in the evening would be a no go as they are on other sides of valley.

I think a better description would be that they are on opposite sides of the La Plagne massif. Wouldn't you have to drive from Champagny down to Moutiers then all the way up to La Plagne; about a 90 minute drive?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the responses.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar, unless you had an AT setup and a headtorch, yep Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar,

And that would a pig of a drive... Aime to LP is bad enough for me not to want to rush to do it again...

redowl,

Try Smittenbysnow..google them.. they might be interested in ad-hoc if the dates are low season....they run out of Belleplan
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
rob@rar,

And that would a pig of a drive... Aime to LP is bad enough for me not to want to rush to do it again...

Yup, that road up is awful. More hairpin turns than any other resort road that I've driven up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice one JT just given them a shout - looks promising.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redowl,

Hope it works out... Nice chalet apartment, good location, virtually ski-in, ski-out and the walk down to the centre isn't a problem at night..altho LP struggles with night-life like a lot of French places. Nice couple who run it as well
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
JT wrote:
rob@rar,

Yup, that road up is awful. More hairpin turns than any other resort road that I've driven up.

Hence building the new chair at La Roche to save you some of the Drive wink Toofy Grin But
surely the road up to Tignes is worse Sad
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
But surely the road up to Tignes is worse Sad

You think? There's a few switchbacks in the middle section, but generally I find that quite an enjoyable drive (providing I'm not stuck behind a couple of fully laden lorries), but the road up to LP seems to go on forever without a single stretch of road that is straight for any length of time!
snow conditions
I find the drive upto VT terminally boring...almost as bad as Aime-LP. L2A is very twisty but not too long, ditto DH and besides, its a classic Tour de France route, although it is hard to relate to in winter. The only saving graces for these very twisty roads that achieve very good vertical in a short space of time is that they can quickly change their snow pattern. I did enjoy arriving in Abbertville in rain as we knew there was a good chance of snow on the way up... and thats always a pleasure to drive through in a perverse way...!!!!

Tignes is a doddle by comparison, IMV
ski holidays
rob@rar, There is a very nice road up to a very nice village that links into La Plagne but we try not to advertise the area too much Toofy Grin
Seriously, when we were property hunting (a year ago this week Toofy Grin) one of the selection critetria was the time /distance/road up from the valley. We discounted Tignes and Val Thorens because although great for the ski season they are both very much dead ends in the summer and a long drive back down to go elsewhere for day trips etc Very Happy
We are exactly 10 mins from Aime (clear road driving like a local Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
redowl, Ancolie no good for getting to PLagne 1800, easier to get to Courchevel than Plagne Centre (by road anyway).
snow report
rob@rar, About 1986 we had a transfer in a local taxi from Plagne Villages into the valley, where the operator (probably Ski West) was consolidating groups onto a coach for Geneva. We we set off at 5:30 a.m. The windscreen was covered in ice, and though the driver had the wipers on continuously it didn't clear until just above Aime. After the first 10 minutes I looked at the driver, and he seemed (a) about 45, (b) not obviously in the grips of drugs, alcohol, or despair, and (c) awake and alert. So I just relaxed and thought about something else (my wife had very sensibly gone back to sleep). I still don't know how he did it. Motor memory? Peripheral vision? Luck? Feedback from the camber? Homing instinct? Deeply impressive, in any case.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-10-06 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Anybody know if the free shuttle bus around LP goes to Belle Plagne ?
snow report
redowl,

We always walked it from Belleplan to Bellcote altho'in the morning I just stepped out of the Aprt complex and skied down.
At night we used to get down through the walk ways between buildings - its almost all undercover and it really wasn't a hassle- so we never looked at a bus. I believe the bus goes between the villages as does a late lift, but hopefully someone else can confirm this. 1800 is a bit further down, of course and it would take someone local to explain that link.
latest report
The gondola runs between Belle Plagne and Plagne Bellecote and I think it runs back up until 0100.
latest report
Thanks everybody for the advice. Have bitten the bullet and booked a SC 4 person studio in LP1800, which for the price is guaranteed to be god awful. Just need to get there from Geneva airport now...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy