Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Setting appropriate goals

Poster: A snowHead
I'd be interested in the opinions of Snowheads about how to set appropriate goals for skiing for the forthcoming season. I really don't know whether it is better to be ambitious or relatively conservative and incremental about my approach.

When I look back over what I have achieved over the last 2 years of skiing (5 weeks plus regular trips to the Snowdome), then I have made a huge amount of progress. When I started my goals were simply to be able to ski nice green and blue pistes with Mr Docsquid at a sufficient speed that he didn't get bored. These gradually expanded, leading me to want to be able to ski red pistes (because you can get further and see more) and then blacks, and then attempt moguls. I've managed all these, although clearly need to improve.

My goals for the coming season will probably be fairly conservative i.e.

1. Improve my technique, particularly carving technique
2. Learn to ski gates
3. Improve my bumps skiing
4. Improve my speed (with this goes confidence)
5. Get better at on-snow 360's and little tricks

But looking at them they look a bit conservative, really. The problem is that if I set myself a goal of doing a lot of off-piste, or skiing the biggest most kamikaze black run I can find - well, I don't actually really want to do those things, probably because I don't actually think my technique is up to it yet (there is a difference between "getting down" something and "skiing down" something and I want to do the latter). I'm not that fussed at present about off-piste - maybe that will change as I progress and want a new challenge.

So, should goals be ambitious (maybe not even things you want to do), or just incremental as mine are? I think I tend to be an incremental person, as my cycling goals for the coming year look similarly un-ambitious!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid wrote:

2. Learn to ski gates

Sounds a bit like hard work Puzzled

My goals are:

1. ski to put a smile on my face Very Happy

err....thats it realy snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Ski new resorts.
2. Ski a run that I found difficult last year, and make a better job of it.
3. Smile/laugh/sing more.
4. Maximise my ski time with people who want to have fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
docsquid, Consider doing a Warren Smith or Phi Smith course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid
I have always set mine with my ski instructors - but then i ski with the same 2-3 instructors for 50-70 lessons a season so that helps...

so my first thought is have you been using an instructor regularly at the snowdome and could they help?

I also have both long term and short term goals... short term may be seasonal goals... long term are things I'd like to do one day... It may take me YEARS of work both on and off snow to have a snowflakes hope in hell of achieving the long term goals... it does not matter... I'm more interested in the journey than the destination...

the thing is - with sufficient determination almost anything is within grasp...
My skiing is proof of this... the resort doctor (a friend of my dead brother) tried to stop me from learning to ski because he thought it too dangerous for me... all the instructors from my home resort that remember how I started out are still confused as to how I can now ski as I do... but they also want me to be an instructor because they understand what sort of work it required to make that journey...
My life has been turned upside down... I do things we never thought it possible for me to do... I have control of my body as I could never imagine I would.... and I love it all to bits.
Even the hard parts that are nasty to live through at the time end up resulting in some good - often simply by strengthening my resolve to ignore the stupid, ill mannered, and ignorant sods who make my life hell for being devoted to learning something that is incredibly hard for me and for NOT being a ski god (as they imagine they are in their tiny insular brains)

You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however.
Richard Bach

The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.
Richard Bach
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
II wrote:
docsquid wrote:

2. Learn to ski gates

Sounds a bit like hard work Puzzled

My goals are:

1. ski to put a smile on my face Very Happy

err....thats it realy snowHead

I'd like to steal II's list and add to it
2-Catch a bit more air
3-Meet and ski with some SnowHeads, Bears and SkiDivas

Tracy on EpicSki has a signature I like:
What is the highest technique you hope to achieve? To have no technique.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not a ski god, but Tracy makes a good point!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
II has a good point Wink

Why set yourself goals, for what is meant to be a holiday!! Fair enough if you are wanting to compete or somesuch, but enjoy it!!

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, yeah, I like II's one, after that it's about getting out there, and discovering new places and new things, and having a good time doing it (even if I don't do it well)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
docsquid, Consider doing a Warren Smith or Phi Smith course.

She's on the Phil Smith race course in November. Good choice Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, disagree, I like having goals. If you don't have goals, how do you ever know you've achoeved them? But that's just my POV, no wish to impose upon anyone else.

docsquid, maybe, as referred to above, you could have 3 sets of goals.

Short term - what you want to achieve (?) this holiday, how you think you'll go about it, how you'll know you've achieved it - small steps, well defined, definited measures. Maybe "I will ski the run that I 'got down' laast year withgrace and elegance". You may need external judging on that one...

Mid term - pick an area of skiing you want to really improve and set a suitable time scale. This is where I stick bigger goals and objectives, typically 1-2 seasons - and whihc may include real stretches - such as committing to racing (or something. Randonnee anyone?)

The big one are the longer term ones - 2-5 years (or more) and possibly involving other life decisions (don't try and tell me you don't take skiing that seriously?) - like relocating to Switzerland.

And of course as you go along, you update them.

Theory naturally easier than practise. It is mentioned above, get a good instructor (/coach). Start with what you want to achieve, agree a reasonable expectation of progress over the hour/day/week/month and away you go. Much, much more effective with external assistance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeh each to his own, but I do view it as a holiday when all is said and done.

However it gets to a point where if I set serious goals that I wanted and could acheive, it would be at the detriment of my marriage, family, wallet and probably job!

Cheers.

Greg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, I'm with you for the most part. I want my technique to be good enough to embrace the sport, but I don't want to concentrate on it so much that it spoils my FUN!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, You could check your goals against the 'SMARTER' approach (as borrowed from http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plan.htm ) :

* S - goals must be Specific
* M - training targets should be Measurable
* A - goals should be Adjustable
* R - goals must be Realistic
* T - training targets should be Time based
* E - goals should be challenging and Exciting
* R - goals should be Recorded

But having fun is a good test too Very Happy !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
Yeh each to his own, but I do view it as a holiday when all is said and done.

However it gets to a point where if I set serious goals that I wanted and could acheive, it would be at the detriment of my marriage, family, wallet and probably job!

Cheers.

Greg

greg that is simply PRIORITIES... ie you have other goals that are higher than the skiing ones... My skiing has had to take a second place the last couple of years... in order that other non-skiing goals be met so that my longer term skiing goals can be met....

Ditto my poor surfing has suffered due to being here.... while there was a spell where the off-season ski training took a back seat to my surf lessons/training....

there is nothing wrong with skiing not being your top priority... you just factor THAT fact into the goal setting... it is part of the realistic goal setting thing.... what sacrifices etc are you going to make to get there.... what other things are higher in the pecking order...

In my case much time and money, almost all dignity (you have to see the video of my first season on snow to understand that part) and much sweat and tears and brain power required... plus an outstanding amount of care and support from a huge bunch of top people back home.... unfortunately while many can still watch the progression some have been lost from the info chain....
snow report
I definitely think improving your skills will make the sport funner. But I also think that there are some who over think, and over analyze to a point of forgetting that they are supposed to be "smiling" while they are going down the hill, not concentrating to a point of looking like they are constipated.
latest report
yeah - there are those so intent on "ticking off runs" that they forget to stop and smell the roses (or explore the different snow or views)... I find it painful skiing with run ticker-offers... I like to sometimes ski the same area repeatedly checking out the variable snow conditions etc etc... focusing on the trail map so you can say you "did" these runs or lifts takes all the enjoyment out of the process...

These sorts of folks get no enjoyment from "limited" areas... whilst I enjoy myself no matter what as long as I have some white stuff to slide on...
ski holidays
I must admit that skiing is the most fun I can have inside my own head (rather than out of it Happy ) complete absorbtion, engagement of senses, focus on what I'm up to, etc. On a good day I'm just always trying to make the next turn just a little more fluid, controlled, effortless, etc.

Am I so weird? I can multi task, honest, so I do get to smell the pretty little flowers on the way down too!!
latest report
David Murdoch, you're not weird - unless I am too Wink

SnowHot, I agree about the over analyzers. There's a time to think, a time to have lessons, and a time to go out there and put your thoughts and lessons into practice in skiing freely, without others telling you where to go or what to do, but just enjoying yourself.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Am I so weird? I can multi task...

Sorry, DM, that definitely makes you weird. You know that male genetics limit us to:
The Haynes Manual of Blokes wrote:
Life support plus one other activity.

It's a good swap for always being right wink

I'm with the goal setters. I've written elsewhere on here that my 'umble ambition is to still be able to ski when I'm old and wrinkley - and to do that I want to get my technique sorted now.

little tiger - what you've written is very inspiring. Cool
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:
Am I so weird? I can multi task...

Sorry, DM, that definitely makes you weird. You know that male genetics limit us to:
The Haynes Manual of Blokes wrote:
Life support plus one other activity.

It's a good swap for always being right wink

I'm with the goal setters. I've written elsewhere on here that my 'umble ambition is to still be able to ski when I'm old and wrinkley - and to do that I want to get my technique sorted now.

little tiger - what you've written is very inspiring. Cool

That's fantastic! Goals are good for all of us!

The question is this:
When does a skier take their goals so seriously, that he/she forgets to "just enjoy"?
ski holidays
David Murdoch,
me too... I'm the one obsessed with improving remember - everyone else thinks that my skiing cannot possibly be fun because i want to improve...

PhillipStanton,

I have great instructors and "supporters from the sidelines" ....
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
When does a skier take their goals so seriously, that he/she forgets to "just enjoy"?

In my case, when I forget to "whoop"!

little tiger - "little tiger"..."little tiger"..."little tiger"... (the sound of supporting - i'm not sure how to make a football rattle sound though!)
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

In my case, when I forget to "whoop"!

Meeeeee Toooooo!
I tend to say Whoooooo Hoooooo!
an awful lot.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
little tiger - "little tiger"..."little tiger"..."little tiger"... (the sound of supporting - i'm not sure how to make a football rattle sound though!)

thankyou.... NehNeh
latest report
Great thread docsquid,

Fantastic inspiration little tiger,

This thread made me realise that I hadn't consciously set goals for skiing although I had in all other aspects of my life, such as get qualified, learn to fly, learn a language. Indeed my job insists on goal setting. But with skiing I had just stuck it on a mental hook of do as much skiing as I can and I managed 3 skiing trips last year. Progression was coming with experience and practice.

What this thread has made me do, most of all, is think about what I what to do next, and where I want to be. Is 45 to old to think about packing in engineering and becoming a seasonairre?

I might have to pop down the dry slope tonight!
snow report
WayneC wrote:
Is 45 to old to think about packing in engineering and becoming a seasonairre?

One of our local chalet companies employs a lovely retired couple as their seasonaires. The only problem? They don't put up with any s**t from the chalet company!
snow report
spyderjon, we're doing the Phil Smith race course in Tignes in a few weeks' time, and I'm really looking forward to that.

The points about short and long-term goals are important - mine are all rather short-term.

SnowHot, yes, skiing should definitely be fun. I just don't have much fun if I can't do what the other people I'm skiing with can do, so there is a need to improve as well as a need to have fun. I enjoy drifting down greens and blues and going to the cafe, and taking time to look at the scenery as well as hammering down as fast as I can on the edges as much as I can be. I agree also with little tiger, I'm also very lucky just to be able to ski at all, given the injuries I have had, and also the problems I have with my chest and breathing. For me, it is a pleasure to slide down white stuff no matter where - the Snowdome included. Your story is inspirational.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, Very Happy

too right!
snow report
My goal has always simply been to be able to ski anywhere on the mountain that I want to and not have to look at the piste map to navigate around bits I don't yet feel up to. I'm not there yet though - at least mentally. That's why I try and think things through off snow so that when I get on snow the mechanics/theory are settled in my brain and I can concentrate on feel. Technique is my tool for not getting injured and therefore being able to continue to ski for as long and as often as my body and real life will allow
snow report
I really can't see any conflict between goal setting (as in wanting to improve your skiing) and having fun. For some people just doing the work on your skiing is fun. OTOH, if you see improvement as a chore, then clearly you won't improve and thus will miss out on the best fun. If you want to improve it actually won't take the whole day (indeed this is destructive). Half an hour to warm up first thing in the morning, and practise whatever exercises your instructor gave you is all it takes. Skiing around all day trying to make small improvements doesn't work until you get to the level of a David Murdoch - and you won't get there without goals! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

1. Ski new resorts.
2. Ski a run that I found difficult last year, and make a better job of it.
3. Smile/laugh/sing more.
4. Maximise my ski time with people who want to have fun.

Wear The Fox Hat, I like your Goal no. 2. My goal last season was to ski runs that I hadn't dared set a ski on before. This season I want to improve on those runs as long as the conditions are right and my nerves don't get the better of me.

Quote:

I really can't see any conflict between goal setting (as in wanting to improve your skiing) and having fun. For some people just doing the work on your skiing is fun.

easiski, yes, you would say that given your profession wink but I do agree with you. I didn't used to set myself any goals until Mr geetee and I started taking lessons in Whistler. We went on a Ski Esprit programme and neither of us had had lessons in some time so we didn't quite know what to expect. The instructor was great and took us to all sorts of places we probably wouldn't have strayed to if we'd been on our own. We also spent some time doing tree runs on luge track type runs laughing our backsides off. I'd never skiied in trees until then. The other thing is that pre lessons in Whistler I would have hated to ski in anything deeper than my ankle. I hated it because I couldn't do it but I was determined to get better at it and improve my skiing overall. Now I love skiing in deeper stuff, although I still have plenty of room for improvement! Since then we've become lesson junkies. We spent 3 months over there last season and had plenty of lessons. My main goal though was to try some of the 'scary' runs. Well I think I did that and I can now say that I've been down pretty much all the marked runs on the Whistler piste map (still have a few to do on Blackcomb). I admit that my legs were like jelly when we did the first part of The Couloir on Whistler but I did it! So as I said to WTFH, one of my goals for next season is now to improve how I get down these runs and another one is to try catskiing. Oh and last but not least have more fun. snowHead
latest report
I forgot to add 'improve my bump skiing' rolling eyes
snow report
My goals this season are to improve my telemarking from novice/low intermediate level, improve my skiing in sketchy snow and stay injury free. The last may be the biggest challenge.
snow conditions
geetee, I would say that, because I've put in the effort (and I'm not suggesting any snowheads put in enough effort to become a Grade 1) and can now reap the results. Although I've skied all my life, I've also had lessons and reace training etc. and it's all paid off, but what's made the biggest difference is doing all these silly little wierd exercises repeatedly. I feel my own skiing has improved more in the last 2 years than the previous 10. I do rather resent the implication that I would say you should seek to improve your technique just to sell lessons, because anyone who actually knows me will know this is not true. this is genuine advice, genuinely given.

At any rate, I shall still be skiing when I can barely walk because I have reasonable technique, while others are forced to give up at my current age!
snow report
Quote:

I do rather resent the implication that I would say you should seek to improve your technique just to sell lessons

easiski, apologies, there was no intended implication of that I just meant that as an instructor you'd be one of the most keen of us to see people improve (and let's face it most of us probably have room for that) and setting goals is a way of doing that. I'm sure all the instructors that I've met would say the same thing. In addition, all the ones I've met in recent years have wanted us to have fun while we've been learning too.

I hope I'll be skiing for a long time too! Smile
snow report
geetee, OK sorry I misunderstood you, been a bit sensitive lately! Tired probably. Embarassed
snow report
easiski, no worries. I hope the PSB goes well. Looks like you're going to be verrrrry busy next week. snowHead
ski holidays
Interesting thoughts in this thread... a couple open questions:

Do you think that improving your skills leads to more or less enjoyment?

Are there better ways of focusing on those skills than setting some goals or objectives?
ski holidays
ssh, less, ignorance is bliss! I wasn't worried about technique or off piste as a newbie because it looked like it was for pro's and experts.

Now I've learnt a little and sampled a bit of it I'm aware of how bad a skier I am and what I need to do to sort it all out, I'm at that frustrating bit in the middle where I'm unhappy with how bad I am rather than appreciating how good I am (if you get my drift).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy