Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I was speaking to two of my italian friends asking them to recommend me a ski resort in Italy thats both good for snow conditions and night life, they both recommended cortina... what do you guys think? im thinking of a December trip... im not a beginner but i think i'll need further lessons to try red runs etc...

What was your overal experience of the place like?

Cheers
Hamed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow cover is a bit iffy in the Dolomites, especially that early. Cortina is a fun town, certainly, though some of the skiing is not too easy to get at - it's not one easily lift-linked area like many in France. I've only done a very little skiing there, but I enjoyed it. No experience of ski school, but I'm sure it would be fine, and fun. The mountain scenery is beautiful around the region - ours was not really a ski trip and we drove around the region for several days. I'd like to go back, but having bought an apartment in a small French resort we are not likely to be skiing much in Italy in the future. Sad Different attitude there. You enjoy the whole experience, especially eating, and parading through Cortina apres-ski with the ladies in the mink coats, and have fun. The Italians seemed to holiday as whole multi generational families (at least in the small hotel we stayed in) and all day blasting round the pistes is just not a priority. Not as important as cutting it in your finery on the "passegiata", anyway. With a party of friends, especially if some of them were Italian or spoke Italian, you'd have a ball. I had learnt a few bits of Italian from a BBC tape, before the trip, and despite only speaking a few words was hailed as a great linguist - it's a feel-good place. Not cheap; some of the shops in Cortina a hyper-expensive. Good window shopping though, fantastic clothes, works of art, cakes to die for. And the theatre of the apres ski fashion parade through the streets! We stayed in a very small family hotel some miles south of Cortina, as it was a busy period (March) and all the hotels in Cortina were full. I sent a desperate email to the Cortina ski school asking for recommendations and was put in touch with an amazing little family hotel where they spoke not one word of English and all the other guests were Italian. The proprietor was probably a cousin of one of the ski instructors. My most complicated sentence in spoken Italian, after the proprietor asked me how we had chosen his hotel, was "man in ski school says try this hotel!". Big smiles and laughs - we were their first English visitors. At least, I think that was what they said!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would go for Cortina - it's a fabulous place if you're not long off the nursery slopes. You'll have them mostly to yourself and the fur coats are not as all-pervasive as others would have you believe. It's quite inconvenient to get around, but that is compensated for by the many plus points.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads, robertsnerys snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks guys for your responce Smile i think i might have to check it out now definatly soon... an idea came to my mind was to possibly take a week to see venice and then go there for a weekend to first get a feel of the place...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hamed, I think I would do a weekend in Venice and a week in/around Cortina to get the feel for it Toofy Grin Cortina is as described but is only part of a wonderfully scenic part of the world. The Dolomites are just spectacular, apart from Cortina there are some great small areas to ski nearby ( Lagazoui and Cinque Torres for example ) also within strcking distance you have the Sella Ronda circuit and all its satellite resorts - of which I prefer Arabba.

Snow cover of the natural variety can be a problem but there is an awful lot of man made capability which does help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

take a week to see venice and then go there for a weekend to first get a feel of the place

good idea, it's a really easy drive
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone got any thoughts about a good hotel to recommend? I like the idea of combining with a weekend in Venice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy