Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Howdy - new here... and a boot sizing question.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy,

i'm new here, just thought i'd say hello before bombarding you will idiotic questions and silly statements!

Anyway, i used to ski a few years ago (10 Puzzled ) and was quite a competent intermediate - advanced skier. Then i discovered kayaking and mountain biking and couldn't afford to do it all. So, this season i'm going on my first ski holiday for years (Montgenevre) and am well excited Very Happy Now that i don't kayak so much anymore, i'm going to get back into skiing so am looking for a new pair of boots to see me through the years ahead. I've been sized up by a couple of different shops and have been pushed towards getting something along the lines of the Nordica Speedmachine 10. I'm 6'4" and weigh around 14st. My feet are size 10, kind of wide and flat but i have kind of small ankles and (aparantly) have one foot a whole size smaller/bigger than the other. The sales person in one of the stores tried to get me to buy 290 sized boots and use footbeds to make my smaller foot fit. I've had a word with a mate who suggests going for something slightly smaller as as my feet bed in to my boots they'll open up more room and i'll end up wearing a boot at least 1 whole size too big on one foot. Anyone got any advice on this. I don't want to end up with a boot that fits ok when i leave the shop but ends up being too big and loose after a few weeks of skiing. I'd settle for something a bit tighter now, if i know my feet will bed into them through time. Is this the right way to think?

and... I'm thinking i might buy my boots from Freeze in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh rather than going to one of the big companies like EB or Nevis Sport. Better to help the wee guys to survive imo.

Cheers for any help/info.

oh, and is there a ski show in Scotland in the coming weeks/months?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly, hello and welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
I have short/wide feet so my boots are sized for length and blown out to fit sideways - works for me.

The boot experts will be along soon . . .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads shoogly.

We've got some good bootfitters on the forum - so I'll defer to them (one will almost be along shortly) wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, They're all in Leamington Spa breathing Snowfoot fungus and drinking some soft southern-jessie chardonay today, so they'll probably not be in till very late or over the next day or two . . . don't panic, they're not ignoring you Very Happy ... and welcome. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome shoogly to snowHead ,

If you've got feet that are anything slightly away from average, I suggest you get a professional bootfitter to have a look. My mate with his short fat girly feet had some painful experiences with his first pair he bought in bulgaria. They gave him slightly larger boots for a bit of width but which pinched. He is due to go back for a final refitting of the new ones as the shop is loosening them progressively.

HTH
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
WayneC, oi, less of the short and fat girlie thanks!!! wink . my feet certainly aren't.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, spent an hour or so with a lad at Ellis Brigham at Xscape in Glasgow and after trying on 4 different boots, i found the Atomic M80 or M90 is the way i'm going with my boot choice. Will go back in on a week on sunday to try them on again and hopefully buy them. I had been into a couple of ski shops in Edinburgh and found the service and more friendly service at EB much more accommodating. Just need to figure out if i need footbeds now. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont wrote:
WayneC, oi, less of the short and fat girlie thanks!!! wink . my feet certainly aren't.

Sorry Helen but I'm sure you know that I didn't mean all girls are short or f.... heavy boned.

I'll try again... my friend has feet that are not as long, and are wider, than than the average chap of his height and has to buy boots designed for ladies. Luckily the boots are not in girlie colours.

Hope that's better? Very Happy

Shoogly Footbeds make loads of difference, they're welll worth it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly, footbeds do make a difference to cumfort and skiing. We have a pair of boots from a couple of years back and had new footbeds fitted this year in Andorra. They were so cumfortable that we could ski all day without a problem and I think they improved my limited abilities. We used them in Canada a couple of weeks later and again they were perfect.

When we were trying to find a pair of boots we tried loads on were really surprised at the difference between suppliers. Rob

PS welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting thread - I've just bought some new boots from Snow and Rock, got Tecnica Diabolo Flames partly because my feet are blooming small and there was little choice but I believe they're decent boots. I'm still going to need some more fitting but want to give the boots a few hours at Tamworth over the weekend to bed them in and see what specific problems there are. I suspect it'll be the same as it's always been, namely a slightly larger and wider right foot which, as a consequence, tends to get more uncomfortable than the left. I'm hoping that for the first time ever I'll be able to solve the problems with some extra fitting. I did get footbeds in the boots mainly because I've been using them in my old boots and found they cut down on discomfort considerably (as well as making my boots/skis work more effectively) but I'm not sure if using them to make a boot that's too big fit is a good idea, mindyou I don't know what you'd do if one foot is considerably bigger/smaller than the other.

What I would say is that boot fiting has come on a long way since 10/15 years ago when, as I recall, there was little extra effort put into fitting boots with the odd exception - these days shops should be willing to heat/stretch inner boots as well as doing the same as a last resort to outer shells. I think lampbus' experience is fairly common and I half expect to end up getting my right boot stretched as he descibes. Unlike my boot buying experience of 10+ years ago I fully expect to be able to go back to the shop for extra fitting as many times as it takes to get the boot correct and that's part of the service you should expect so even if they're not exactly right when you buy them you should with time, and the help of a decent boot fitter, be able to get them right for your feet.

Best of luck Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cool. I'm going to go and buy them and ski with them on sunday at Xscape glasgow so i guess i'll find out sooner rather than later. will let you know how it goes.

I'm getting quite excited about the whole prospect of getting back into skiing again after all this time. Very Happy

Also, i sent Atomic an email about footbeds and they responded within 10 minutes with a good answer. very good service from them. I hope they don't mind me posting their reply...

"Its good to hear that you have found our M-tech boots so comfortable. A footbed is certainly a good idea and I would recommend them in any type of ski boot as they hold the foot in a neutral, stable position and improve precision and comfort. The type of footbed you should look for really depends on your foot type, there are a number of different routes to go down. The first is a “trim to fit” off the shelf supportive footbed, these are generally the cheaper option and are available from brands such as Boot Doc, Conformable and Superfeet. Even though these are a less expensive type of footbed they all still do exactly the same job as a more expensive variety. The other option is to go for a custom made footbed which is formed to the shape of your foot in a neutral position, these are a little more money but they are shaped for your specific foot.

The best way of finding out which of these types is best for you is by going to your local Atomic dealer and speaking to their boot technicians, they will then be able to advise you on which type of footbed is going to work best for you.

Regarding the boots themselves, they are both a very good choice and as you say, flex wise there is a small difference of 10. The M90 comes with a slightly more aggressive liner to hold around the foot better and give you more precision down to the edges of your skis, it also has an uprated buckle system, they are CNC milled aluminum on the 90 so they are a little lighter and aesthetically more appealing. At 90kg and with your height you should have no problem in flexing the M90 and if you are an aggressive skier I would say it would be the better one to go for as after a while you may find the 80 just a touch too soft."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy