Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting wide skis into gondala ski slots

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from a general point raised in the scgb forum - I have been wondering how would Mission skis would fit in gondola ski rack slots? I suspect the answer may be "badly". I remember B3s being tricky to fit last season into some Alpe D'Huez gondola slots. Anybody have thoughts about this problem of getting broad skis up the mountain?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, i would think your chances are slim to none, unlike the skis Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bring them in the cabin with you, or use the snowboard slots? I've had the same problem with B2s because of their twin tip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, snowboard slots are a thought. Hav you been able to bring skis in with you? I can think of gondolas where the clamshell like outer would not close.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowboard slots is one option, although I've had a couple of nervous moments when the skis have slipped sideways in the snowboard slot (which obviously is much wider) and I thought that my skis might fall out. Twin tips can also be a problem as they can be difficult to fit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I monoskied back in the late 1970s to mid 1980s all gondolas had narrow slots - there were only a handful of monoskiers across the Alps. Snowboarding didn't take off until the mid-1980s, and didn't boom until about 1990. So, on every ride, I'd take the mono inside and have the tip poking out of the window.

I'm surprised if some gondolas still haven't been converted - it's not ideal to have big hardware in a little cabin.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, even fairly modern gondolas (eg the new cabins of the Ariondaz bubble out of Courchevel 1650) have slots on them too narrow for fat skis or twin tips.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, I've normally found some way of folding myself around my skis inside the gondola.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It not really an issue - load them individually if the tein is the problem, otherwise in snowboard slot or in the cabin.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, exactly one each slot, put in diagonally
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found no problem with my B3's in the La Plagne domain in March April last year.
Very Happy So therefore my Sweet Daddys Very Happy : shouldn't be a problem either Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I took my snowboard inside the gondola onto the Bellcote glacier in La Plagne, one look at the ones in the slots shaking everywhere was enough to make me put up with the discomfort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only once had a problem with my Seths - normally I just put them in one slot each.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly wrote:
I took my snowboard inside the gondola onto the Bellcote glacier in La Plagne, one look at the ones in the slots shaking everywhere was enough to make me put up with the discomfort.

I've had trouble with gondola as well. Skis inside can be a bit of a squeeze though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always have a giggle at my mate trying to force his 1080s into gondola slots and see his face go white when they start wobbling in a slight breeze Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks, guys. The B3s gave me some exciting moments getting them out of the slots at ADH. But reading through this, I think I will go ahead and buy the Missions.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Only once had a problem with my Seths - normally I just put them in one slot each.

which also reduces the number of unwelcome people in the gondola Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I struggled to get my Public Enemies in a gondola, and by the time you realise this, all the spots inside are taken so you either have to wait or fight for a spot.

I demo'd some Missions today, not my type of ski, but I can see them being a big hit for people wanting an all round piste ski.
snow conditions
As you can imagine I have some problems with the tails on my Prophets. Snowboard buckets are fine.
snow report
CEM, true.
I do find it hard to believe that if seths will fit in, that B3s won't.
snow report
lots in 3v's won't fit my 1080's so I seperate them and put one ski in each slot.
snow report
Jono, I could not get on with Public Enemies on hard steep piste - whereas the Missions I tried worked wonderfully on piste, yet appeared to have the with for good off-piste work as well. Mind you, The PEs I tried were long - 181 IIRC.
latest report
achilles,

I think there might be a few reviews of these skis in a few weeks time...but then again, if you know you like them what will it matter..!!
What size did you ski...?
ski holidays
1st post here on snowheads, im going to Vars and will my fujatives fit be alright on the gondala?

Stuart
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads stuart_5! snowHead Although I have no idea about your question - if they don't fit in you'll just have to take them in with you Toofy Grin
snow report
stuart_5, dunno. But at Les 2 Alpes they seemed to have addressed the issue. No problem with my Missions.
ski holidays
no probs with my missions in Engelberg in Jan 07........
snow report
stuart_5, you'll be fine with the fujatifs. worst case, you split them and put one one in each slot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How deep is a hole?
snow report
Carosello gondola in livigno wouldn't fit my rossi scratch so I just took them in with me. It meant I had to take up two seats as I couldnt squeeze the skis and me into one. Not that difficult, but a bit annoying. Some lady's front bottom gave me a particularly violent "thanks a lot mate! Evil or Very Mad " when he realised that I was taking up two seats after he had just put his skis in the empty slot on the gondola at mid station. God forbid he had to wait 10 seconds for the very next empty gondola.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, twice as deep as when you're half way in it.
snow conditions
thanks for that, ill let you know how i get on! and has any one been to Vars before?

Stuart
ski holidays
Me and my guns have no problem (twin tip and fat), usually split them up, sorted!
latest report
DG,

you monoskied for what 8 years?

that's important information that I'll need to use to calibrate your opinions on... pretty much anything

Very Happy
ski holidays
My motherships either go in the snowboard slots or in the cabin.

They go separately in the slots, which is fine as the fat brakes I have on them don't click together so carrying them as a pair is a pain anyway.
ski holidays
My husband skis on K2 Seth's 189cm - they are monsters! He has problems on the older bubble style lifts. In Meribel the lift attendant rammed his skis in hard and at the top he struggled to get them out again, they very nearly went back down without him Shocked His skis are just too long to get inside the cabin...
snow report
I struggled on some gondola's with my Missions last week. If they didnt fit - I used the snowboard slots snowHead
ski holidays
I've had this problem, to the extent that my skis got frozen into the slots and I had to chase the gondola round at the top of the mountain trying to pull them out King Arthur style. Now I take them in the gondola. The other gondola on my mountain has bigger slots but I still have to use one for each ski - damn these twin tips!
ski holidays
the fujatives were alright in vars, cause everyone takes there skis inside the cabin.

anyway thanks for the help!
Stuart
latest report
Never mind the skis, have you tried getting IN the Plattieres gondola in Mottaret Shocked Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy