Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon X Wave 10 Boots

Poster: A snowHead
what are peoples opinion on the X-Wave 10 boot from Salomon, am considering making a purchase if i am satisfied with the fit. Are they stiff enough for a competent, heavy and aggressive skier? Does anyone have them/tried them and have any opinions? As always all info appreciated

Mark
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski in these. Its not the stiffest boot on the market but it suits my needs. I am 80kg's and spend about 80% off piste. I dont particularly like farming tracks as my usual style is GS turns in pow and i find these boots give me enough support. The only time i find them on the soft side is when i occasionally try to run some GS gates when a stiffer boot with more support would be welcome. I have had mine now for three seasons (+- 90 ski days) and they are still holding up fine although the liner has packed down quite significantly. I think the newer models with honey combe design may be a little stiffer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a pair of XWave 8's, I know it's not the same but I don't think there's much difference, and I love them to pieces, when I push them hard they still remain quite stiff, better than most other boots I've owned.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers PP,

I was also wondering how they compare to say the Nordica Speed Machine 14s.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark2010, how can you be considering purchasing them when you've not tried them for fit? rolling eyes

Find a good bootfitter & buy what they recommend for fit & function.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunatley I managed to break my old (very old) boots the other day. Time constraints mean I wont be able to get away this year, so I'm limited to what the domestic shops offer, which is really only Nordica and Salomon. I'm going in to try them on tomorrow so I thought I'd canvas a little opinion on them first. I've mainly worn salomon in the past and been quite happy with them, but I'm pretty desperate at this point!

I had a brief chat with the guy in the shop today and he seemed to know his stuff and some friends have used them and liked them, but I like to get info from as many sources as possible before I make any decision...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark2010, where do you live?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in Dublin Jon, I hope you havent forgotten me already! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark2010, Sorry Mark but just got in from an early doors session at the pub Embarassed. Anyway once I've taken money from someone my memory just goes blank. BTW, your parcel should hopefully be off to you in just a few days as soon as my irons delivery arrives.

I presume you want the boots to race in? As they're their top boots(?) I would have thought either would be stiff enough. I've had X-Wave 9's but they were too narrow/low volume for me. Profeet then suggested the Tecnica Diablo or the Nordica Speedmachine's & both fitted great so I would think from that that the Speedmachine is a higher volume boot than the Sallie. I eventually opted for the Diablo as it had a bit more toe room than the Speedmachine.

I'd suggest asking CEM for advice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Jon

I have feet that I feel are a little narrow for Nordicas, I tried on a Speed machine 10 that i felt was too soft for me, which I am assuming on ignorance is largely the same fit as the 14, and it felt a little wide across the ball of my foot when buckled up to the mid point, a limit i rarely go past on my salomons. The salomons usually feel nice and snug there, which gives me a more solid, confident feeling in my boot.

Im still only gathering intelligence at this point, I've also toyed with the idea of a racing boot, the sal. falcon or nord. Doberman, but in the past have found them (racing boots in general) less comfortable if you are in them for longer periods. Plus despite my lofty aims of getting back into a bit of racing, recreational skiing represents most of my slope time.

The furthest I am likely to have time to go for the foreseeable future would be MacSki in Belfast who I have heard good things about, so if all else fails I may give them a ring to see what they have, but a local purchase would make life a lot easier.

I look forward to getting my bits and bobs in the post, my handy edge file really isnt getting the job done anymore!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I feel the Nordica Speedmachine and the Tecnica Diablo series offer better flexes... relating to better transmission through the ski.

Don't like x waves, the last or mould is still living in the 90's, not the best for modern skiing, but all this is opinion right.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought a pair of Salomon Pro Model Guns last season and found them plenty stiff enough for recreational use. I'm a big strong 88kg skier and previously raced on super stiff Nordica 980s and Raichle F1s. I much prefer the Pro Guns for all day use on and off-piste. I've got pretty wide feet and find them very comfortable. A much better compromise than all out race boots. I've got a feeling the X-wave 10 is a very similar boot, but I may be mistaken.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
getoutsideandplay wrote:
I feel the Nordica Speedmachine and the Tecnica Diablo series offer better flexes... relating to better transmission through the ski.

Don't like x waves, the last or mould is still living in the 90's, not the best for modern skiing, but all this is opinion right.

Not sure I agree with you there buddy, the X wave mould was and is still very popular and many of today's boots have been heavily influenced by it. Although quite roomy it is still fairly anatomical compared with some of today's boots. Unless you're thinking specifically of the Diabolo race boots, flex is more progressive on the X wave series than on many other boots. Just because a last is old, it doesn't mean it doesn't work, ex. most race boots are still somewhat based on the original Grand Prix
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
Although quite roomy it is still fairly anatomical compared with some of today's boots.

Ahem. Some of us roomy fellows consider that anatomical.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just an update, I bought the X Wave 10's have used them on the dry slope several times now, both messing about and running gates, and thus far i am very happy with them. They fit my foot very nicely and feel more than stiff enough for me when i push them a bit harder through the gates. I cant imagine being any happier than i am with these boots. Also to my pleasant suprise i was able to get custom footbeds made for them on the spot, I would never have believed the difference they make!
ski holidays
I just bought the X Wave 8's in the Great Outdoors, surprisingly good service. Tried the 10's but they felt way too tight across the top of my foot whereas the 8's were like a glove. Mark 2010 where did you get the footbeds made?
ski holidays
killian, This is a perfect example of why trying boots on can get you into trouble. the tightness over the instep is caused by higher density, moudable foam. Once throught the fitting process, the boot would have felt snug and secure, with the high density foam offering better hold for a longer period. Otherwise there is no difference between 8 or 10, except for the flex and a couple of bolts. Sad
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, my comments about flex and last are more refering to the carbon spine and how the boot tends to bellow around the mid foot rather than flexing at the ankle bone. I don't think this is clever design for modern skiing about the ankle especially for people who like to ski the whole mountain. Compared to perhaps how the Falcon 1080 may function etc.

The proof will be I suppose in what we see sitting in the range for Salomon over the next few seasons. wink

As long as Mark is happy though it all seems pretty good!
latest report
getoutsideandplay, This will only occur if the space around the instep is empty, therefore a choice depending on foot shape, as for the carbon link, try taking the boot to pieces to see exactly what it does. Nothing. Little Angel
snow report
For what it is worth I am about to start my 5th season in X wave 10's, First season was hell, a 6 hour session with a good bootfitter helped for the 2nd season and since then I have gradually moulded my feet to the dam boots. I know that boots can be comfortable I had 2 pair of Rachlie Flexon comps that didn't need undoing until the end of the day, not after each run. They, Xwave 10's are very good running gates with the clips done up beyond the first notch, but I can't wait to unclip them and that is after just one run. I ski about 10 weeks a season, so am too busy/knackered to spend hours in the shops getting them fine tuned. I shall devote some time this season though to changing them. Glad that Mark is happy he must have a Salomon shaped foot wink
ski holidays
Dypcdiver wrote:
.........he must have a Salomon shaped foot wink

I think there's a lot to that. I've X-Wave 10's, totally unaltered and have had a few Xscape blasts on them (say 30 hours) and two weeks in resort. No comfort/fit problems to report and four seperate fitters have confirmed they are sized correctly, if perhaps erring on the side of comfort by a smidgen.

However, the liners packed out pretty quickly so I've replaced then with Zipfits and chucked some footbeds in at the same time. Now more "snug" than before, but still not uncomfortable.

My old Nordi 981's though - ouch Confused
snow conditions
I have a new (10 days skiing) pair of these things, so far so good. I'm heavy, intermediate, but not especially aggressive (on skis). The boots they replaced were too stiff for me. I reckon if I was a better and more aggressive skier, I'd want a stiffer boot (or two).
snow report
I do not think they have replaceable heels or toepieces.
snow report
Latchigo, they're not made with them now - but mine have been added as an extra Little Angel
ski holidays
marc gledhill, It's just something I always look for in a boot. Some boots still have them.
latest report
Latchigo, perhaps the boots are made of a softer material that wears quicker and thus need them?
latest report
comprex, Perhaps.

Perhaps replaceable bits add to manufacturing costs and worn heels and toes give an added incentive to buy a completely new pair of boots ?
ski holidays
killian wrote:
Mark 2010 where did you get the footbeds made?

I got them made in the great outdoors, the bootfitter there did them for me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy