Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When do the Scottish Ski Centre's usually open?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

We're off to Canada in January but just wondered when the Scottish centre's usually open? What's in been like the past few years?

I lived in Aberdeen about 10 years ago and went to the Lecht as often as I could but can't remember if it was Dec, Jan, Feb +.

Another quick question, where is the absolute cheapest place to go Skiing in December for a long weekend?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead Greig, are you thinking of anywhere in particular in December (or even any particular weekend in Dec) or could you leave it 'til the last minute and take a late booking somewhere?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, I'm not really bothered about where I go, its just really to get back into it for a few days before we go away in January. It can be any weekend or even 2/3 weekdays.

Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Greig, As said above, I bet there are some cracking late deals for w/c 14/15th december
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
>> We're off to Canada in January but just wondered when the Scottish centre's usually open

When there is enough snow, anytime from now until there is sufficient snow! Recently someone post some shots from this time a few years back when Cairngorm was open and looked fantastic!

Good luck!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Greig, back in the 1960s and 1970s when Scottish skiing got its first burst of serious lifts, the ski season often started in the first week of December. Nowadays, with the climate change, it's anybody's guess. You can get a freak early dump (as happened in recent years) as early as October, with enough depth to ski, but it's impossible to put a reliable date on the lifts working.

The Lecht often capitalises on snow when the other centres are lacking it, and they seem to have a pretty flexible and proactive operation. Cairngorm now has the advantage of the year-round funicular, so it's possible to ski it even if the tows aren't working.

I think it's just a question of 'wait and ski'.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going by my experience in the last few years I've always had decent skiing in Scotland between Christmas and New Year except last year (when AFAIR only the Lecht offered any skiing).

Looking at my ski diary:
05/06 Iskiid 17/11/05, 27/11/05, 4/12/05 and 18/12/05 some was xc in the forests
04/05 28/12/04 Cairngorm down as far as the top of the Day lodge run and to the Mid station
03/04 23/12/03 touring 30 and 31/12/03 at Glenshee
02/03 4 and 5th jan recorded as first skiing
01/02 29dec-2nd jan skiied evert day at Glenshee

Year Days skiing in Scotland
01/02 16
02/03 11
03/04 14
04/05 15
05/06 29
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Greig, It's pretty hit and miss at Cairngorm/Lecht, as Dave says. I'd keep an eye on the resorts web site sometime in late December. The big problem isn't always having enough snow often when they do the high winds keep the resorts closed and the Cairngorm Mountain Compant are poor at keeping the road open
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the resort websites are the best source for up to date info. last year the nevis range didn't get a decent dump until the end of february. managed to ski virtually every weekend from late feb to first weekin april between nevis range and fort william. this was our first year skiing so i don't know about previous years
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Greig, Note that the resort websites have been known to occasionally 'embellish' their reports. For the best, unbiased information, www.winterhighland.info is the place to keep an eye on.
latest report
 brian
brian
Greig, don't listen to Mr "I had a season on Cairngorm once" Goldsmith, I grew up during the halcyon snow cover of the 80s and I remember seasons then when there was no skiing until well after New Year.

04/05 - short and sweet, big dump early Feb, great skiing and weather until Mid March when unfortunately mega thaw more or less wiped things out.

05/06 - early doors dump gave good skiing for 3 weeks late Nov early Dec in the East, then sketchy conditions until good mid Feb dump in the West opened up glencoe and Nevis. Everywhere was excellent by early March and we had a great late season through April and early May when things closed due to lack of skiers before lack of snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy