Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First DIY trip to Austria any tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there all,

Have booked flights to Salzburg for me and a mate Jan 6th for along weekend and have my eye on saalbach/hinterglemm (snow permitting).

Having only organised DIY trips from geneva I am a bit in the dark in terms of car hire (do you get chains/winter tyres automatically like switzerland, how easy is the drive, any other time saving tips to get on the slopes as early as possible would be appreciated)

Have been looking at accom options and there seems to be plenty of cheap B&B type digs available for short trips... However they all seem to be doubles, is this the norm? or is there a translation for 'twin beds' I am missing on these websites?

thanks in advance any Austria experts
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you really need a car (i.e. you are visiting multiple ski resorts) then a transfer from the airport is normally cheaper.

Two single beds = "Zwei Einsel Betten"

Separate = "getrennt"

Probably best to contact the local tourist office of the resorts you are considering for two single beds in one room.

...... the best tip I can give for getting to the slopes early is to drink loads of water / non-alcoholic drinks (with the odd beer here and there) during early Apres ski and get to bed early. Prepare all your kit before going to bed so you are not faffing about in the morning, be the first down to breakfast and aim to be at the lifts before they start running.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winter tyres are rare on hire cars in Austria and you have to request & pay extra for chains, unlike Switzerland. (I think .. actually just realized I've never hired in Austria before as usually fly to Munich or Friedrichshafen so I'm assuming it's the same as Germany)

This outfit do transfers from Salzburg airport to most resorts in the area (incl Saalbach) for 99€ each way for up to 8 people .. bit of a bargain if you ask me especially if there's load of you.

http://www.transferservice.at/index_en.php

Used them last season for a weekend in Schladming and they were excellent ... nice modern minibus with ski rack on the back .... means you can have a few beers on the plane and no need to worry about driving.
Gonna use them again to Saalback at the end of Jan. Just a shame they don't operate in the Tyrol.

wrt the beds .. I've found in B&B's the standard is the 'Austrian Twin' which is basically a large double bed that may be made up of two single mattresses but it's rare you can separate them .. have to hope your buddy don't snore too bad !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the bus and rail system is fantastic - shoudn't need a car oebb.at is the adress I think? Postbus is coaches, trains are zug Happy If you want to try different resorts then a car is handy and you would *probably* only need winter tyres as resorts often low and on main valley roads. Our taxi didn't have chains and was fine even in quite a bit of snow last year.

Went last year to schladming and it was the easiest trip I've done yet. b&b through the tourist office (dead cheap, loads of choice) taxi from the airport list (arrived to late for the bus/train) and train back where a very helpful station assitant gave me a buy one get one free ticket deal that worked out at about £10 each for a 2 1//2 hour rail journey. step out of rail station and into a bus/taxi to the airport, which is small and very fast - no queues Happy

However the austrians seem to hate credit cards? take lots of cash!

The doubles might be two singles side by side but clipped together - but it is a bit cosy for two guys to share I think. Tourist office can probably advise.

hope above makes sense - at work!

aj xx
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found collecting and depositing your car and driving to and from the airport a lot easier at saltzburg than geneva.Saalbach is nearly 2 hours from memory.With a car and only 3 or 4 days, have you considered the ski amade area which is only a 40 min drive and would give you loads to ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow chains are rarely if ever needed in Austria unless the place you stay is up the mountain on some road that the local council does not clear. There are also strict controls on the use of them on public highways otherwise you may find yourself a bill for highway repairs Sad They are forbidden on the Motorways.

Only on Mountain Passes (when posted) are snow tyres compulsory or chains need to be carried. FernPass from Germany to Austria is always kept a clear nowadays.

Just on driving in Austria. Make sure you have good lights and replacemnt bulbs ALLWAYS.

Lights must be on (compulsory) at all times on the Motorways.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajhainey wrote:

However the austrians seem to hate credit cards? take lots of cash!
aj xx

The reason being, the vast majority are small family busineses and it cost them too much to take cards.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
Lights must be on (compulsory) at all times on the Motorways.

Not just on the motorways, on all roads at all times.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RichA wrote:
Winter tyres are rare on hire cars in Austria and you have to request & pay extra for chains, unlike Switzerland. (I think .. actually just realized I've never hired in Austria before as usually fly to Munich or Friedrichshafen so I'm assuming it's the same as Germany)

It's not obvious that you will be driving from Munich on a skiing holiday, hence the reason winter tyres are not the norm. It is however highly likely that rental cars from Salzburg Airport will be travelling to ski resorts. The vast majority of cars in Austria also have winter tyres and insurance problems arise if not, so winter tyres are fitted and are included in the price. Just spoke to the guy at Budget rent-a-car, Salzburg airport - he said they are in the process of changing over to winter tyres now and snow-chains cost €38 to hire (one off charge).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

All the cars hire at Salzburg airport have a winter pack which includes snow tyres. However you have to hire snow chains.

With regard to snow chains you can use them on any roads in Austria but if there is no snow on the roads or not much they will damage the tyres and you have to drive very slowly.

in bad conditions the police will stop everyone and ask them to put snow chains on if you don't have them you will not be able to continue driving.

This does not happen very often. It happened the year before on the autobahn between Salzburg and this area but that was after very heavy snowfall !!!

We only used them about 3 times last year.

Nigel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't bother with a car, you can get a train to Saalbach from Salzburg.
I went for a long weekend in Kitzbuhel last March,cheap flight to Salzburg then train the next morning to Kitzbuhel,easy! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The last ime I used snow chains in Austria was in 1985 Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all those that have replied...

Good to know snow tyres are included, we are definitely driving as it means we can leave as late as possible on our last day
Looking forward to broadening my skiing horizons away from around Geneva snowHead

which is the best village to base yourself if we try the ski amade? (up for a bit of this famous austrian apres ski I read about)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wrongsideof30,

With a taxi from Ski Amade you will be able set off later as you don't have to drop the hire car off. One of the advantages of having a car however is that you can take cheaper accomodation outside the resort if required.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shades wrote:
I wouldn't bother with a car, you can get a train to Saalbach from Salzburg.
I went for a long weekend in Kitzbuhel last March,cheap flight to Salzburg then train the next morning to Kitzbuhel,easy! Very Happy

A car maximises time on slopes as esp to Salzburg can get early morning flight in, ski same day, and then ski last day, late flight out home.
latest report
I always found tiscover.at very helpful for booking accommodation so if you're still looking try them ....
snow conditions
When we went to Ellmau last March we found that there were trains about every hour so getting back for a late flight (which we did) was no problem at all. I'd assume Salzburg would be the same. I'd definitely look into taking the train again, they even do discounts for larger groups, it was so much more relaxing!
snow conditions
Don't forget to get a Vignette sticker for your car while you're driving on the motorway!!
snow report
wrongsideof30, Take sick bags
ski holidays
wrongsideof30, Saalbach is 80km from Salzburg and is about 75 minutes in a mini-bus, and probably an hour if you're driving in a car in good conditions. By public transport you can get a train from Salzbug to Zell am See (about every 2 hours and only £5 each way), and from Zell there's a cheap bus that runs from Zell to Saalbach, or you can get a taxi (I think its about £25 for a taxi Zell->Saalbach). To get from Salzburg airport to station, take the tram (#1 if memory serves) from outside the airport direct to the main station (hauptbahnhoff). Bus in Zell leaves from near the post office. With just 2 of you, I'd recommend that you consider the regular busses that run from Salzburg airpot directly to Saalbach (€35 each way). See http://www.holiday-shuttle.at/
If you're only going for 3-4 days, then you might want to also consider Zell am See itself. For a long weekend, I think it's a great place to go.
In terms of hotel rooms, in Austria most small hotels will only offer doppelzimmer (double rooms), although some will have zweibettzimmer (literally two bed rooms). However, the double rooms are normally 'austrian twins' in that they are a double bed, with two single matresses and two single duvets.
Roads to Zell and Saalbach are reasonably good, but I prob wouldn't drive. Winter-tyres are standard on almost all vehicles hired from Salzburg, I'd be surprised if you needed chains.
I know both Saalbach and Zell reasonably well, and I think I've done DIY ski-trips into Salzburg airport about 7 times in the last 3 years. If you need any advice, then let me know.
snow report
Oh - one other point. Everyone thinks of flying from with Ryanair from Stansted to Salzburg, but ThomsonFly fly Gatwick to Salzburg, and it's
a) Generally cheaper
b) They offer 20KG of hold luggage (rather than Ryanair's 15KG)
c) They carry hold bags for free (rather than £3.50 per checked bag, per flight leg - or double that if you pay at the ticket desk)

For comparison Sunday 14th->Sunday 21st flights were £40 return with ThomsonFly and about £67 with Ryanair (for 1 checked bag). Both prices include all taxes.
snow conditions
aarondc wrote:
Don't forget to get a Vignette sticker for your car while you're driving on the motorway!!

Every time I've hired a car from Salzburg it has come with the Vignette sticker, so I wouldn't worry about this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy