Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Geneva-Annecy motorway to reduce transfer time to Savoie resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is new news or old news, but I've just found a website (in French) which provides details of a new section of autoroute which will significantly reduce the travel time between Geneva and Annecy. It's due to open in December 2008. It will be a toll road, so not sure whether tour operators' small budgets for transfers will mean this road is used by those on low-cost packages.

Also due to be completed in a similar time frame is the Albertville bypass (the new RN212, I think), which will ease one of the major Saturday-transfer bottlenecks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, my impression was that Geneva to Annecy wasn't the problem - it was Annecy, as far as I can tell traffic heading towards Moutier is bound to go through Annecy and it's in Annecy itself the congestion occurs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoppo, there is the option to avoid Annecy altogether by keeping on the A41 and go via Chambery if you think you might get caught in congestion (although I've only once got caught in bad traffic through Annecy once, because I try to avoid Saturday travel). The new Geneva-Annecy autoroute will apparently reduce that part of the journey to 20 minutes - I normally do that part of the drive in an hour, so a big time saving for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hoppo, In a car, driving at the speed limits, it is quicker to use the autoroutes via Chambery even without the new bit. I don't see the tour companies changing anything.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Since we will be doing this route in the next few weeks, we can update this ..although it will not involve winter traffic as such and we will be turning off for Chambery to get down to Grenoble etc.

I always thought it a nice drive anyway
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, I used this new road at the weekend, the satnav obviously thought I was in a field, and it was much quicker than the old way. As for driving to the 3 vallees from Geneva, I would normally use the motorway to Grenoble and avoid Annecy, it just gets really frustrating when it is busy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SwissJules, welcome to snowHeads! Any idea how much time the new bit of road saved you?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its much better than going through that small village (Cruseilles I think), and round by the old bridge. Coming through Annecy you can miss out most of the town centre, coming down a hill almost opposite the old swimming baths by the lake... (poor description of the Annecy bit sorry)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
SwissJules, welcome to snowHeads! Any idea how much time the new bit of road saved you?

The new road saves around 10-15 minutes at peak periods (5pm - 7pm).

The old road will be closed from April to early 2010.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:

Is that all? I was hoping for a saving of at least 20 minutes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did mottaret to GVA in about 2 1/4 hours, sticking to speed limits, using the motorway route including the new bit - very simple route finding both ways. My trip was 5.30 am to 7.45 on a saturday morning, so traffic was obviously sparse...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:

Is that all? I was hoping for a saving of at least 20 minutes.

it will save half an hour compared to the old road before the new road was built wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It absolutely does save 30 mins - we have now used the new road 6 times at different times of the day, and it is so easy and stress free in comparison to the old. However no longer any chance to stop at that nice boulangerie to get your breakfast!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
it will save half an hour compared to the old road before the new road was built wink

Excellent - that makes me feel a bit better Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy