Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For quality of slopes and large terrain the French have it pretty much sorted. Most resorts Apres is weak (bar a few which rock) which leads to Austria with the traditional euro-disco partying and pretty villages and smaller ski areas. Switzerland fills that slightly more exclusive niche and Andorra and Bulgaria fill the budget section whilst continually striving to improve.

Where does that leave italy? Once the budget choice. I have been to Sauze and Canazai (Val di fassa) and had a great time in both but I find over the last few years (and which brought me to raise this question) I have not considered Italy as a destination.

Any thoughts.....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go back to Monterosa and Cervinia. But my next stop will probably be based around Courmayer taking in excursions/routes to the Rutour Glacier, Pre St Didier and therfore La Thuile.

But you are right that the skiing is less well thought out...maybe maintaining village-life over sheer skiing convenience,
for good or bad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Philip Prior, AS JT, mentions, La Thuile was a great resort for us - wonderful conditions, good variety, convenient (we stayed in the Planibel - you can ski in but not out). We also had two good trips to Bardonecchia, finding the Jafferau side of the resort even better. That was uncrowded, with great snow in March, blue skies, sunshine, Italian coffee! Be warned though, the trip up from the base at Jafferau took place on a single person chair that was probably the oldest lift I have ever been on - worth the white knuckle ride when you get there though
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alagna is, of course, famous with off-piste buffs. And the Dolomites have possibly the most spectacular mountains (for those who didn't see these the last time I put this url on here).See the later photos.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philip Prior, I found Cervinia got a bit dull although the scenery is great, but Monterosa was a spectacular with even better scenery, with wonderful empty long runs, some interesting off piste (guide recommended), nice refugios, but quiet night life compared to Cervinia.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Philip Prior, I found Cervinia got a bit dull although the scenery is great, but Monterosa was a spectacular with even better scenery, with wonderful empty long runs, some interesting off piste (guide recommended), nice refugios, but quiet night life compared to Cervinia.

There is one of those single chairs on the Sauze link to Sestriere. Very interesting experience!! Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In good snow...but this can apply to an awful lot of places, Cervinia has lots of bits and pieces to be worth the visit. There have a cheap-ish heli-option to 3 or 4 peaks.
This part of Italy appears to be fed with snow from the south and therefore needs/gets a different weather system.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philip Prior, I am looking at going to Canazei this year do not know too much about it. A friend said that the skiing although extensive is not very challenging. For me it is the scenery. For the rest of the group I know that apres ski will be a factor. Can you give me any lowdown on the resort in relation to Apres and nightlife?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Italy... my favourite place to ski. They make skiing fun, the food's the best in europe, the people are great, their pistes are well groomed and during the week not all at crowded, and the scenery (esp. in the Dolomites) is fantastic. What more can I say?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally, I tend to find the main differences are between resorts than countries - aside from certain things like Swiss railways, etc. that may influence aspects of the holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Funny I had never thought of Dolomites until I realised I could get very cheap flights now very tempted
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, from memory of about 10 years ago, there is a good bar for apres at the base of the gondola; otherwise the resort is quite spread out along the main road. Our hotel was 2 miles out of town via bus or a v. long walk. We managed to escape from our hotel one evening and walked into town to eat and found a very good restaurant on the road into town (they checked we weren't German before they'd let us in!) In the main, I'd say that apres in Canazei probably isn't that great. In most of Italy it tends to get a bit quiet in the evenings after the passagiata finishes about 7.30.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really like Italy, for much the same reasons as tessaventer, especially the food, oh my goodness the food...and they do make it fun - there always seems to be a good atmosphere in Italy, they love to have a good time. We got given free pizzas in the bars all the time, too Smile

Philip Prior, I know exactly the chair you mean! Shocked I've been wondering if it's still there after the Olympic face-lift. Sauze is a beautiful place though, some of the prettiest slopes I've ever seen. I also like Courmayeur - a great standby when Chamonix has bad weather, too.

Finally, no other country that I've been to does the fluorescent romper ski suit quite like Italy. I've seen people wearing stuff that looks like Bridget Riley dreamt it after having too much fondue - truly spectacular!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy