Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently researched the resort and one worry is potentially poor snow cover at lower stations. I this a genuine concern or has snowmaking facilities now alleviated this problem (if it was a problem).

The resort-of-all-resorts Ischgl will have to wait until next season as some in our group are on a budget for very good reasons. So Kitz is on the menu for 2007.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really don't get the poor snow cover propaganda. Kitzbuhel is low compared to most French resorts admittedly but it is also a lot further inland and there's pasture under that snow, not rock (so you need a lot less of the stuff and snowmaking is more effective). I've been going to that region for decades and it's really rare not to have good cover (ski opening mid December til end of March). Can't say I've always had the same good experience further west in France.

Prices though have certainly crept up, especially for accommodation. I'm not sure Ischgl will be more expensive like-for-like. Try emailing a selection of hotels for a quote and I think you'll be surprised how close it will be.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbuhel doesn't have to be expensive - I got B&B in Kitzbuhel end of Jan for £250 each, including flights & transfer. Bargain I reckon!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most of the Austrian resorts have good snowmaking in place, so even if snowfall is poor, they can keep most of the runs open.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philip Prior, when are you thinking of going? I've never (well in the last 8 years) had a problem skiing in the Tirol and Salzburg regions in peak season, e.g. Jan to early March. If you are going outside of that then the snow lower down may be less reliable but they use the snowmaking to keep the runs topped up so they should be open. I visited Kitz a few years ago in early March and the only run affected by a lack of snow was the ski safari link to Jochberg. There is now a lift in place so that won't be an issue any more.

I would email the tourist office in Ischgl as I looked at both Kitz and Ischgl for next season and found the hotel rates were similar. The lift pass was a bit more for Ischgl though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hayley t wrote:
Philip Prior, when are you thinking of going? I've never (well in the last 8 years) had a problem skiing in the Tirol and Salzburg regions in peak season, e.g. Jan to early March. If you are going outside of that then the snow lower down may be less reliable but they use the snowmaking to keep the runs topped up so they should be open. I visited Kitz a few years ago in early March and the only run affected by a lack of snow was the ski safari link to Jochberg. There is now a lift in place so that won't be an issue any more.

I would email the tourist office in Ischgl as I looked at both Kitz and Ischgl for next season and found the hotel rates were similar. The lift pass was a bit more for Ischgl though.

1st weekend in March. Thanks for the info.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Philip Prior, I'ts over rated because of ski sunday and that's the nice way to say it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiingfool wrote:
Philip Prior, It's over rated because of ski sunday and that's the nice way to say it.

Go on, do elaborate! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Philip Prior, then snow wise you should be fine. I wouldn't call Kitz over rated. I will say that if you've been to Saalbach, then the skiing and infrastructure isn't as good, but the town is really nice with a good choice of bars and restaurants and some of the mountain restaurants were excellent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Philip Prior, sure its over rated if you are looking for tough skiing but there's plenty of milage to cover and the lift system is now much improved from what it was. Personally I don't think you would have a problem with snow cover early march, the problem is more likely how warm it is that particular week. Saying that I have encountered slush in january in kitz but last march the conditions were some of the best I have encountered anywhere in the alps. The town itself is fantastic and there are some great bars from early on until very very late. Plenty of accomodation either through tour ops or independant, we booked a b&b through tourist office and it was superb value, central location with easy walk to lift and great location for stagger home from the pub. Prices in resort are not expensive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiingfool wrote:
I'ts over rated

By whom? I've never heard Kitzbuhel held up as a shining example of a ski resort. It has a particular character, and if that's what you want it's great. It's pretty, has good restaurants, a reasonably extensive and varied ski area, a decent enough lift system. If you want hundreds of kms, tricky blacks, dirt cheap bars, ski in, ski out, it's not the place.

Philip Prior snow cover has been fine in my experience, all, I think, in Jan or Feb. The bottom of the resort runs can get worn, especially the Streif runs, but it's no big deal; one wouldn't normally be sking them except at the end of the day. There are plenty of cannons, although I've rarely seen them in use. Bear in mind that on the lower slopes, the (general) absence of rocks means that less snow cover is needed to render them skiable.

Kitzbuhel might not be the obvious choice if you're on a tight budget, but it's never struck me as being particularly expensive unless you deliberately push the boat out.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 18-10-06 18:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Philip Prior, over priced over rateed i don't know where these other peaple live. How does five pound a pint sound not to bad well were i'm from thats over the top and i live in london
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy