Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does skiing get cheaper than this?

Poster: A snowHead
Received this deal by email last night [I've no interest]:
£135 for 7 days self-catering, Brides Les Bains, Eurostar overnight or Saturday service It's being offered as a special, in advance of the Ski Show.

The small print includes (or rather excludes) unavoidable tourist tax, water and electricity (which add 37 Euros to the price). Strangely, bed linen seems to be included but not towels.

Is this as cheap as it gets for a self-catering deal? I guess it could be a foretaste of low-season ski trips being heavily discounted this winter.

Bear in mind that the apartment above is 28 sq metres, for four people, apparently with no bedroom. I think the accommodation was built for the 1992 Winter Olympics - anyone know?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-10-06 10:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith wrote:
the apartment above is 28 sq metres, for four people, apparently with no bedroom.

Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Could an administrator please delete the E'star automatic hyperlink? It ought to be possible to type the word without generating the hyperlink.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, it is just type it with some extra spaces as below or indeed use a € symbol in place of the E Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 17-10-06 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
e urostar

Euro star

€urostar
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's easy...

Eurostar
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, but I'd have thought it would be better for snowHeads to have no automatic hyperlinks.

By the way, closer examination reveals that bed linen is included. More interestingly "access to swimming pool" is included ...

... but I've just realised that the transfer from the station to Brides Les Bains isn't mentioned. That would cost a significant amount, wouldn't it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:
... but I've just realised that the transfer from the station to Brides Les Bains isn't mentioned. That would cost a significant amount, wouldn't it?

It's only about 7km from Moutiers station to Brides
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, the interesting thing is that transfers aren't mentioned at all in the holiday description, though they're very thorough and seemingly quite honest about the rest of the deal. It's unusual for a ski package tour not to include the transfer - maybe they just forgot to mention it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess so, worst case, you could get the bus.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

It's only about 7km from Moutiers station to Brides
True, if that - it takes longer to get from Brides to the snow than it does to get from Moutiers to Brides.
It's not bad as a price for Eurostar tickets though. I think I'd probably leave the accommodation empty and rent something up the mountain, personally.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Eurostar may have a deal with admin? Bearing in mind carbon footprint, perhaps no bad thing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stopped there earlier this year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
28 sq m !! That's 7 sq m each... 3.5 x 2 m each and that needs to include a bed. Then you've got 4 x a week's worth of gear, crates of cheap beer, a few baguettes and... at the end of each day 4 x mayhem. I'd consider it if the other 3 were nymphomaniac triplets (female) but but otherwise no ta!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't it what we call a 4 bed hotel room? Ignore the cooking facilites.
latest report
Swiller, you're ignoring the fact that one bed is on top of another. Please revise the calculation.

Also, if you're willing to live there for a week without using water or electricity you could make a worthwhile saving.
snow report
David Goldsmith, wonder what athletes used it for the Olympics... the skeleton? You're right though, this isn't just a floor plan, there's height to consider as well. So, assuming a 2 metre ceiling you're looking at 56 cubic metres. Take out cookers, cupboards, chairs and beds and all that gear you're probably left with about 8 cubic metres of air each. So, you'd need to use up less than around 1 cubic metre of air each per hour through the night... you're all going to die. Is it worth it to save a few bob?
latest report
I ,d check with the lcoal city/fire department to weather that is legal? In alot of mainland EU countries that would not be possible probably contravening the Apartments owners third party liability Insurance.
latest report
David Goldsmith, I've done this deal although I paid £180 as I opted to fly which also included free transfers. This was my 2nd time in the Alps and I had a fantastic time. I much prefered staying down in Brides as it meant I got to drink the much cheaper beer with the locals in the evening (I also won the local pool competition!). The gondola is about 20mins up to Meribel, but no great hardship really. If anyone is looking for a cheap deal, go for it.
snow report
A real consumer report! Thank you! What's the swimming pool like?

Swiller, there's absolutely no reason why fresh air couldn't be hosed in to a face mask during the night.
snow conditions
As I recollect the swiming pool was out of action, but as it was across the car park I didn't fancy wandering across in my Speedos much anyway. In terms of apartment space it was fine. Two bunkbeds near the door, two singles in the main living space and kitchenette (sp) in the corner. The Spar store on the corner near the gondola is well stocked but it is probably worth dedicating some bag space to staples as it is rather pricey. No TV though so it's worth taking a laptop and a handful of DVDs.
snow report
P.S. Brides has its own train station on the Lyon to Bourg line.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, It is cheap for the train alone( that is around £200 on the Estar all the way). I would consider just using that element and booking better accommodation.

Would you consider going as it is cheap then ?

I know it is none of my business, so you are entitled to tell me to f*** off - but someone is bound to ask sooner or later.
snow conditions
saxabar, The pool was working fine while I was there! The changing cubicles were a little dodgy... I ended up getting changed in the toilet!
My only gripe with the room was that the bath wasn't big enough and the shower didn't work. To get my head under the water, I had to manouver my legs up the bathroom wall.
latest report
Paul Holland,
Quote:

To get my head under the water, I had to manouver my legs up the bathroom wall.
... and what were the other 3 doing at the time? What a fantastic vision... a guy half starved of oxygen trying to do a headstand in the bath. Brilliant.
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:
David Goldsmith, Would you consider going as it is cheap then ?

It certainly sounds better than those overnight Eurostar* trips that gave you no accommodation, a day on the Saturday slopes, and a return the same evening. Those trips were clearly designed to force you into taking a holiday - did anyone actually take up that deal last year?

Quote:
I know it is none of my business, so you are entitled to tell me to f*** off - but someone is bound to ask sooner or later.

Fish off

---------
* Not the poster's hyperlink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy