Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on ski length for beginner

Poster: A snowHead
My friend is a beginner skier.
is a very large man 6ft 5 tall and about 17 stone.
Didn't find skiing the easiest the first week he went but perservered with private lessons and was skiing most blues by end of week.
Came with us again last year but had totally lost it despite a few lessons.
He thinks it was due to the length of his skies? Could this be the case. Because he was so big and said he'd skied before hire shop gave him really long skis about 190 i think or high 180s
The question is. Would he benefit from much shorter skis whilst he's learning or does he need that size skis because of his size. He's worried about coming again this year because of bad experience last year. Advice please

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-10-06 22:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where did you go last week? I'd say go with a 170 for dryslope or indooor.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oops meant last year. let me edit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
with the technology in modern skis he n should be fine on 170-175 there is no need for anything longer
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with CEM, that should be about shoulder/chin height and about right for a novice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He'll be happy now if he knows he can have smaller skis. Now all i got to do is stop him drinking till 6 in morning or at least ensure he gets up for skiing the next day!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Problem with some ski hire shops is convincing them that he should have shorter skis. I had terrible trouble trying to get skis changed in Sierra Nevada last March for a friend who was 6ft 1 and about 15 stone, and who had never skied before. I was trying to get them changed for skis that were his chin height max. They seemed to think he would break the shorter skis Confused and I had to agree that we would pay for the skis if he managed to snap them in half. Not a lot of chance of that happening as he was having lessons on the gentle green slopes and hadn't yet quite progressed to cliff drops Very Happy When he tried the shorter skis he did of course then progress much better, but I was quite shocked at the attitude of the hire shop.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with chin height for a beginner/nervous 2nd weeker. Don't know what that translates out to tho' but if its chin height on him, it doesn't so much matter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garethjomo, As easiski, CEM, say - shoulder/chin height. Remember tho' that he doesn't have to stay on them all week.... so if they are too short/long.... go back and change them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best bet will be to probably tell the hire shop its his first time skiing. If i say its his third they may expect him to be doing more adventurous skiing than he will be doing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
garethjomo, And insist on the length you want. I find a lot of Ski techs are really behind the times when it comes to ski lengths.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski (and others, e.g. SMALLZOOKEEPER) I am just about to buy a pair of Rossignol 9S Ti's (I really enjoyed skiing on them last year in Tignes). I have skied for about 15 weeks over 20+years but mostly ski on-piste, though not always. I am medium-build (not a lardy so I don't know who I'll ski with at the EOSB wink ) and fairly fit for a 49yr old git. What length should I be looking for - chin-length, nose-length?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
garethjomo, I have 175s, am about same height and a bit heavier. I would have thought 170s would be fine for him.

Quote:

What length should I be looking for - chin-length, nose-length?

Nick L, Thank goodness you stopped there!!.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Smile Blush Little Angel Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick L,

Quote:

What length should I be looking for - chin-length, nose-length

If you are going to buy - test a couple of lengths. You don't say how tall you are, but (I may be wrong) - this is slalom ski. Slalom skis are 165 cms, if you want the ski to be longer than this, then you are probably looking at the wrong ski.

I'm 5'3", and a about 9 1/2 stone. rolling eyes The next pair of slalom skis I buy will be 155s. Very Happy They will provide me fantastic grip, acceleration and speed on the piste (and the plastic). If there's soft fluffy stuff, they'll be tolerable - i.e. they won't stop me having a good time whilst I ski down to get some phatties wink

So I think I'd say ski them quite short....but if you enjoyed skiing a longer pair, do that instead !
snow conditions
Nick L, 165 if going for Slalom. Around 180 in GS. I don't know the range too well sorry. Little Angel
ski holidays
Thanks SMALLZOOKEEPER, 165 it is then.
snow report
ski, I couldn't remember if I had skied on 158s or 165s in April - but the concensus seems to be 165 (I am 177.5cm tall - ie about 5'10")
snow conditions
Nick L, Try them both snowHead My preference would be to go for the shorter ones, but it won't be me skiing them wink
latest report
I have a pair of Rossi 9S WC (different construction but I think similar geometry). I'm a bit more than medium-build and happily ski on 165cm.
snow report
garethjomo, quote - Now all i got to do is stop him drinking till 6 in morning

NO ! thats a requirement for snowheads Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Nick L, 165 is the WC length for men's slalom skis - if you're not a better skier than Mr Raich & Mr Maier, then it should be fine for you! Very Happy Ladies length is 155, which is what ski, is going to move to, but as he's shorter than many ladies and lighter, that's not a surprise. wink
snow conditions
Thanks easiski, I have bought the 165s from Ski Billek via e-bay. I have paid approx £250 all-in - the cheapest price I could find in the UK was >£500.
Just waiting for them to arrive now.
ski holidays
Nick L, those should be fine for a piste ski, but people of our sort of size (I'm a bit bigger at 181cm tall and 14+ stone), shouldn't expect to do anything much off-piste with them. I have 160cm slalom skis and 184cm everything else skis. The shorter you go the tighter and faster they will turn - the 165 WC size is an artificial limit imposed because the skiers were going even shorter, and the forces were blowing their knees (but there's no lower limit for racing on plastic). The problem when going too short though is that the skis will bind on soft/slow patches and pitch you out the front. I also notice this on plastic if any two of a) the slope being a bit dry b) the bases getting low on wax, or c) skiing on just one ski. I did take some 160cm skis on a little hardish off-piste last year and it was of course possible, but a bit precarious, and I had a total nightmare with some 170cm touring skis a few years ago - I really had to sit on the heels hugely to avoid pitching out the front on every patch of deeper snow.
snow report
GrahamN, when you're properly balanced that doesn't happen! Laughing Laughing

Nick L, While it is more difficult to ski in deep snow on a stiff ski (I don't think short is a problem personally), it's perfectly possible - some of us have been doing it for years, as you must have as an experienced skier. My slalom skis just bury themselves and slice through whatever's in their path. It is much harder in crust though. Shocked
snow report
easiski, I'm sorry but I don't believe that, as it just doesn't make sense. You're continual (mostly fair) criticism of my skiing is that I'm too far back, but when skiing too short or too dry it's the front of the ski that binds (just under or in front of the toe), and the only way to avoid that is to get even further back. Remember I'm probably 50% heavier that you, so to get the same pressure on the snow/plastic as you on 155cm skis I should be on 230cm skis.

Edit: Put it another way, I'd be far more inclined to believe you if you were saying you're perfectly happy in soft/cruddy/unpredictable snow, or one-footed on a dry dry slope, while skiing on 110cm 64mm wide skis.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 19-10-06 12:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Shoulders and nose infront of your toes. Cool
latest report
GrahamN and easiski, thanks for your advice. It's very nice that Charlotte assumes that I can handle "deep snow" as an experienced skiier - but actually I struggle with it.

Prehaps this is something that I will be able to sort out at the EOSB - with a little help from certain snowHead s
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy