Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best way to get from Munich Airport to Ellamu

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I have just registered and found the site very useful, but I cannot find exactly the answer I'm looking for.

I have not been skiing for 9 years, but have booked to go to Ellmau in Feb next year. I arrive at Munich Airport at approx 10:30 AM and would like some adivse on which is the best way of getting to Ellmau - private taxi or train, how close is the station to the airport?

On reading many of the other posts many have said the train is very easy, but I don't even use the train here in the UK, so I'm a bit apprehensive.
Can you advise - I've looked on www.bahn.co.uk, but am unsure which is the closest train station to Ellamu. Also would you advise that we book tickets in advance (if using the train) or allowing for delays, just turn up at the station.

Any other useful info would be very gratefully received. Little Angel

Many thanks
*ermintrude*
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
*ermintrude*, welcome to snowHead
I don't have an answer, but I'm sure that someone will be along soon!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*ermintrude*, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I've not done the journey myself but this is the Austrian railways website (in english):
http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/

It has a route planner that knows about both Munich airport and Ellmau. The railway only gets you to Worgl or St Johann im Tirol but the site gives you bus links for the "final mile". I know the SkiWelt a bit - we've been to Westendorf a few times. My mum has taken a taxi from Munich airport to Westendorf - I think it was about £50, but it's a bit of an awkward journey.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
p.s. Worgl and St Johann im Tirol are pretty close to Ellmau.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
*ermintrude*, firstly, that's an excellent name.

Fairly regularly I do Munich to Kitzbuhel (just along the way from Ellmau) and the answer depends on how many in your party. If you're alone then the train is probably best... I go into Munich Hauptbahnhof (takes around 40 mins), then out to Kufstein (a few hours) then a short cab ride. Bit of a faff frankly but trains very clean and efficient. A car is quite useful in the Ski Welt so that's another option. Finally, if there's say 6 in the party, I sometimes just walk out to the cab rank, pick one of the people carrier types and negotiate a price... from memory I think it's around £200 - £220. Then for the home journey I use a local taxi (same price). Try the web for transfers... there are a few companies doing it. A-T-S let me down at the last minute last year (because they were worried about a dump of snow that had just happened!) but the Munich Airport taxi came to the rescue and got us there without fuss.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hoppo, I said Kufstein but, now you mention it, I probably mean Worgl (was heading for Soll on that occasion)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mmmm...my taxi pricing seems to be a bit out - might do a bit better than £200 if you book in advance.

We too have had problems with A-T-S, they took our booking then decided they couldn't fulfil it...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoppo, interesting... A-T-S called me early on the day I was flying to say that the transfer was cancelled due to heavy snow! They told me the airport was closed, Kitzbuhel was cut off, the autobahn was closed and even the trains weren't running. They even advised me not to bother fly! So, after the inevitable argument, I called Munich Airport, called a contact in Austria and found the opposite to be true. Of course we travelled and the very first people carrier on the taxi rank agreed to take us (at a lower price than A-T-S) and got us there in 90 mins flat. So, I really don't know what was going on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your posts. Very Happy

There are 3 of us and I have just put Worgl into www.bahn.co.uk and it gives a price of E27.60 each, which seems very reasonable. Do you know if the station is at the airport terminal and also how far is it from Worgl to Ellamu.

I have been told by someone who has been before (but on a package) that the Kaiserblick Hotel have a courtesy bus and they will collect you from the local station.

Bode Swiller - my name is just my son's favorite toy - he's 10 now, but still I find her under the quilt each time I make his bed!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, our experience was a bit different - I checked out the A-T-S website for Geneva to Val Thorens and it offered me a price and allowed me to make a booking including taking my credit card details then after I'd booked they rang up to say they couldn't do it. "Bummer" as the Australian chap from A-T-S said... ended up using www.3vt.co.uk , who were very good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
*ermintrude*, Worgl to Ellmau is 20km, according to multimap - sounds right to me... You can still get ermintrude toys? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*ermintrude*, have a read of these 2 threads:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12828
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=15583

Looks like S-Bahn to Munich station then train to Worgl and then either bus & taxi or taxi straight to hotel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did this exact trip a few years ago. Munich Airport to Munich Ost Station, on to Rosenheim, then Kufstein. 30-40 minute taxi to Ellmau. The trip from Munich to Kufstein, even on the non-intercity trains, whilst requiring two changes, was nothing like the "few hours" mentioned above. More like one and a half or two hours tops.

The benefit of going using the non-ice trains is that you get phenomenal group discounts if there are 6 (I think) or more of you. Something like 70% off ticket prices was what we managed.

If you're not confident on the bahn.de site, call the uk office (number is on the bahn.co.uk site) and speak to them - they're very helpful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello all, many thanks for all you replies.

I have found www.bahn.co.uk very useful (although you cannot book for nesxt Feb yet). I have also just looked at the hotel website and they offer a free collection service from Kufstein (not Worgl) so I think it will be the train.

Many thanks once again
*ermintrude*
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This may also help (ÖBB is the Austrian national rail service) .....

http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp
snow conditions
*ermintrude*, DB have a London office which is very helpful about family discounts and that sort of thing, if that's of interest. If the train doesn't work out, driving is fine.
ski holidays
If you decide on a taxi I have used the Steiner's taxi in Ellmau in the past for transfers from/to Munich. The cost has been Euro 200 each way. You can contact them on - info@appartement-eden.at . Elke (Frau Steiner) speaks excellent English. The Kaiserblick is a lovely hotel btw - we stayed there a few years ago.
snow report
Another transfer service is http://www.airport-transfer.com/index2_e.htm

Edited to link to the English version of the web site.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-10-06 15:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I know it is off the point but like Hoppo, Bode Swiller, they did the same to me. I will give them another chance. Will be interesting to know how they perform this year! It is a shame as we have used them many times and they are probably getting too comfortable and couldn't care less about the customers requirements and more about their money!!!! Rant over, Promise.

*ermintrude*, Welcome to snowHead 's
snow conditions
AndyR37, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy