Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A good multi-tool...

Poster: A snowHead
I'd like a good multi-tool for the backpack to adjust bindings, etc on the hill. I've got a Leatherman, but find that it doesn't give enough leverage to change the DIN setting.

Any recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, I have a Victorinox version of the leatherman. It's quite beefy, and good enough to adjust bindings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any snowboard ratchet driver will do the job.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Leatherman Juice S2 Multi-tool gets a good review here. There are many more reviews in this area of the same site.

I have a Gerber, model unknown, not sure where it is at the moment. It is a great device for general use and I have kept it in my skiing back pack for several years. If mine also had a corkscrew then it would be wonderful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
Any snowboard ratchet driver will do the job.

Yes, they come with #3 Phillips driver, not the smaller #2 that the leatherman has. This may provide the added traction you need to change your DIN settings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Phil, Leatherman Wave c/w bit kit. No contest.
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=227401&highlight=leatherman+wave#227401
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got the Charge ti - fantastic tool and even has a diamond file for the odd edge touch up. Has socket driver too for a multitude of bits.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Phil, Leatherman Wave c/w bit kit. No contest.
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=227401&highlight=leatherman+wave#227401

And no problem changing the DIN's on my Atomics with the No.3 Pozi bit installed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa wrote:
I've got the Charge ti - fantastic tool and even has a diamond file for the odd edge touch up. Has socket driver too for a multitude of bits.

Diamond file on the Wave model also NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, But does the wave have a one hand rapid opening locking blade to stab queue pushers in the buttocks whilst still holding your poles in the other hand? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow, that's nice to have a pozi drive and diamond file and lots of other nice stuff, but that Wave tool with bits costs £82 on sale according to the linked thread. A snowboard mini tool with #3 phillips admittedly not as great but about 1/10th the price.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They are a lot cheaper from the States. I use mine in work a lot though, also handy to take on climbing trips for tool maintenance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DCGaper, I bought my Wave & bit kit from this ebay seller:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-Leatherman-Wave-Multi-Tool-w-Nylon-Sheath_W0QQitemZ180038553741QQihZ008QQcategoryZ72047QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Total cost was £50 for the two items fully inclusive. If interested email Shana Baker at shopsalota@aol.com You pay via Paypal to the same email address.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But never use a certain carrier from the states - they charge you on receipt and make sure that you also pay full import duty. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to jump in on this thread with this question but....

Is there a beginers guide to altering bindings.

ie for a slightly larger boot.
latest report
Renry, What make & model bindings do you have?
snow report
Salomon C611
snow conditions
Renry, Sorry but I'm not familiar with the C611 binding. I've checked my Sallie list & only the C609 & C610 are listed.
snow conditions
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The toe part of my bindings is able to slide forward and backwards when a 'clip' is moved (is this the same with all bindings)? Puzzled If so what is its purpose? It has a series of numbers on 220 230 etc.I dont have the skiis with me at the moment so i am guessing, so those numbers may not be entirley accurate, I have had the skis set but they have been set for a boot slightly smaller then mine. However by moving the toe binding out my boot fits perfectly (i think) Embarassed Embarassed

Yes I know these realy need looking at by a proper ski techie' but I would like to know the workings of them anyway, can you help
ski holidays
Renry, From memory the C610 toe & heel pieces are mounted on a rail. The series of numbers you refer to is the boot length scale which you set to match the boot length dimension that's stamped on the side of your boot sole.

You will need to have the DIN release settings checked as, although they have already been set for you, one of the components of the calculation is your boot length & as that has been changed if could mean your DIN's need tweaking.

The other critical adjustment is what's known as the forward pressure & must be adjusted if the boot length is altered. This adjustment is in the rear of the heel piece & is either a screw that is adjusted in/out so that the end of it's head is flush with it's housing when the boot is installed OR it's a metal tab/lever that's lifted with a screwdriver & adjusted so that the arrows on the adjustment tab line up within the scribed area at the end of the heel housing.

Other possible adjustments on Sallie bindings are to set the toe height & wings but on the C610 these are automatically set.
ski holidays
Thanks spyderjon, I would have no problem letting you loose on my skis if the time ever came. For now thanks for the info'.

Excuse me from being a nooobe wink

my god thats 400 posts up for me, how time flies when your having fun. Cool
snow report
Reviving an old thread - what is currently the multi-tool of choice for ski touring 13 years on?
snow conditions
It is still basically the same balance of weight vs function. I carry a Leatherman Charge TI (the old version), but there are plenty lighter ones, as long as it has posidrive bits with enough reach for bindings and is good quality, you should be good.
ski holidays
These aren't bad , meant you can pair with any plier multi tool, not a bit driver one
https://pocketpozi.com/
ski holidays
I've an older version of this one https://www.ktm-parts.com/141473.html

Can be bought either with pointed pliers or flat depending on preference, cross screwdriver fits common ski type, has large flat screwdriver blade that copes with din adjust too.

It's been pretty useful over years I've owned one, never corroded either, one of the most durable amongst friend's alternatives.
latest report
CK Tools 6-in-1 tool set with custom bits – incl #3 pozi (86g/3.0oz):

Plus Victorinox Mountaineers penknife that includes blade and scissors (82g/2.9oz):

But I leave behind my Gerber Suspension multi-tool. Despite being sold as 'light weight', at 255g (9oz) it's far too heavy:

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 9-01-20 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hi, I'm the guy behind the Pocket Pozi - I hope the mods don't crucify me for this post, I'm only commenting because @SBP's post drew some traffic to the site and I wanted to check out the forum. The Pocket Pozi is designed to have all the fittings of a Dynafit radical 2.0 (T10/T20 + Pozi and 2 sizes of flat head), as well as give enough torque for adjustments in the field. Also because I thought all of the magnetic bit drivers that attached to skeletools and other drivers were too short and easily lost to do anything with. It's really a passion project for me because the tool I wanted didn't exist before.
ski holidays
Looks an ideal tool for ski touring, nice!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the shipping to France/UK please?
ski holidays
A very similar tool is/was available from Aldi for £2.99:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-socket-screwdriver-set/p/098932316775401

Over 200g IIRC - I’ll weigh it when I get home.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 9-01-20 18:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
altis wrote:

No longer available... Sad
snow report
Dakine offer a couple of small tool kits which I assume are specifically designed for adjusting bindings on snowboards/skate boards.

https://www.theski-shop.co.uk/195101/products/dakine-torque-mini-driver-and-bits-set-in-green.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=10001554&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78Dqu7P25gIVAuDtCh09UgEzEAQYAiABEgJdw_D_BwE

https://www.skatepro.uk/103-31254.htm?stockcode=10001557&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78Dqu7P25gIVAuDtCh09UgEzEAQYASABEgI0ovD_BwE
snow conditions
altis wrote:

I've had one of those at work for a bit.

Its okay as long as it gets a bit of TLC every now and then (tightening up the cross bolts)and a bit of black and nasty goes over the sockets bits

Also no Hex or torx

I ended up using a TSA friendly stand alone bit driver which stacks a selected assortment of bits flat side by side in the handle.

One issue I've had is going through foreign airport checks and my hand luggage bag being taken apart looking for the "pistol magazine"... Embarassed
snow report
KenX wrote:
What's the shipping to France/UK please?

Seems they don't (currently) ship to the UK (I tried to buy one - using Amazon Pay)
latest report
https://www.theski-shop.co.uk/195101/products/dakine-torque-mini-driver-and-bits-set-in-green.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=10001554&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78Dqu7P25gIVAuDtCh09UgEzEAQYAiABEgJdw_D_BwE

The one above isn't that good I've had it for a few years but didn't know any better until my friend gave me this

https://www.snowboard-asylum.com/one-ball-jay-ratcheting-fist-driver-804818

Much better, more comfortable and easier to put the heads away.
snow conditions
That Aldi tool is 242g (8.5oz) with the 4 sockets and 192g (6.8oz) without - still quite heavy.
latest report
jimPocketPozi wrote:
Hi, I'm the guy behind the Pocket Pozi - I hope the mods don't crucify me for this post, I'm only commenting because @SBP's post drew some traffic to the site and I wanted to check out the forum. The Pocket Pozi is designed to have all the fittings of a Dynafit radical 2.0 (T10/T20 + Pozi and 2 sizes of flat head), as well as give enough torque for adjustments in the field. Also because I thought all of the magnetic bit drivers that attached to skeletools and other drivers were too short and easily lost to do anything with. It's really a passion project for me because the tool I wanted didn't exist before.

I really like the look of this tool, and when carried along with a Leatherman Skeletool, some duct tape, and a couple of small cable ties, I think it’d cover pretty much every base I need covered and some.

However it seems it is not available in Europe ☹️☹️

Please ship to Switzerland, and I’ll buy one!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy