Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need Help! Atomic M10 or Fischer AMC 76

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK I really need some help here. Last year was my first time on the slopes in 15 years, did 17 days last season.

I'm 6’ 2”, 205 lbs. male who skis only out in Western part of the U.S. and Canada (ie: Cali , Colorado , BC).

I enjoy solid blue and blue/blacks with 30-40% of the time off trail. Could care less about flying down the mountain, just like to go out and have fun.

So I have narrowed it down the following skis, both of which are brand new and the prices include the taxes and shipping:

05/06 Atomic Metron M10 Puls, size 171 with 06/07 Neox 4.12 bindings for $460

05/06 Fisher's AMC 76, size 170 with FX12 Railflext2 bindings for $480

I was really leaning towards the Fischer's because I hear they take less work, overall an easier ski to work, but I also heard because of their light weight the AMC’s tend to get thrown around in the heavy non-groomed wet snow.

Really looking for something that I can use out here in California and back in Colorado that will not kill me at the end of the day.

I am just not sure what to go with so any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't really help you but personally if I was to spend all my time skiing where you say I'd go a bit fatter than your choices.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied on the M10 a few days this past year. It is a heavy ski, but you can truly rip on the groomers with it. It is a very turny ski with its large sidecut. Great on the groomers. I am an expert and aggressive skier, so for me they were great, but for someone looking for a bit of an easier more relaxed ride I would not recommend them. I also got the chance to try them on some backcountry steeps in about a foot of powder. Here they were not quite as good, but they were managable. The best way to decide which one you truly want would be to give both of them a few test runs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A Random Skier wrote:
I skied on the M10 a few days this past year. It is a heavy ski, but you can truly rip on the groomers with it. It is a very turny ski with its large sidecut. Great on the groomers. I am an expert and aggressive skier, so for me they were great, but for someone looking for a bit of an easier more relaxed ride I would not recommend them. I also got the chance to try them on some backcountry steeps in about a foot of powder. Here they were not quite as good, but they were managable. The best way to decide which one you truly want would be to give both of them a few test runs.
I hear what you're saying and thanks for the advice... except I can't find any place that demos the M10 or AMC 76. Do you know anyone who has used the Fisher's and what they think of them? I hear they take less work. Thanks again, Robert
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robert_in_ca, Welcome to snowHead

There appears to be a big difference between US and European thinking bout the lenght of skis.

You are a big guy at 6'2 and 205lbs and I can't see any benefit from a 170 GS type ski for you. And if you want to take it off-piste
then you'll drown it at 170.... I'd be thinking 180 plus.
If you said you ski boilerplate all day everyday, I'd be tempted to get a SL race ski around 174 but not for what you want to do, IMV
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
robert_in_ca, Welcome to snowHead

There appears to be a big difference between US and European thinking bout the lenght of skis.

You are a big guy at 6'2 and 205lbs and I can't see any benefit from a 170 GS type ski for you. And if you want to take it off-piste
then you'll drown it at 170.... I'd be thinking 180 plus.
If you said you ski boilerplate all day everyday, I'd be tempted to get a SL race ski around 174 but not for what you want to do, IMV
Actually I skied last year on 170's in all types of conditions, inlcuding deep powder (2 feet) and 170 were fine. However I agree with you that if I were more into speed I would want to go 176 at min.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy