Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Austria's best kept secret from the brits (majority of)?

Anyone been? How do you rate it? Done Saalbach (great), St Anton (you have to go at least once) and Schaldming (OK-not great). Can't decide for next year yet.

Heard the apres is crazy!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wuz there, ohhhhhw, 10 years or so ago.

Great skiing I recall. Good piste side powder runs in good conditions (i.e. lift served). Apres is OK if you like whole pubs singing along to crap music.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Going there for the first time this Christmas - I'll let you know snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Philip, I skied Ischgl in 1968, though we were based (as a schoolgroup) just up the valley at Galtur.

The skiing was great then ... so I guess it's terrific now!

I've also skied St Anton, numerous times, Saalbach twice and Schladming once ... but those trips were mainly a lot more recent. I don't think anywhere in Austria matches St Anton for off-piste. I'd estimate that Schladming and Saalbach both rank about equal to Ischgl for piste skiing. Ischgl, of course, has the interest of the Swiss link.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philip Prior, go for it.

Great resort for boarders (even though there aren't many there).

Loads of untracked powder by the side of the piste, no flat bits, great park.

PS - I love being in pubs singing to crap music - it's not something you get in the UK.
You could of course go to France and stand in a bar full of brits, close your eyes and imagine you are in London.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worked the 85/86 season Very Happy Been back a few times over the years for day trips. Unfortunatly Ischgl has sold out. Nearly all of the Off-Piste has been serrvice with new lifts. Apres is great but its allways been.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was there for the first time in Feb 06 - great place, excellent lift service for on and off piste runs, and best apres I've ever experienced...and without blowing my own trumpet, I know a thing or two about apres... wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was there for the first time in Feb 06 - great place, excellent lift service for on and off piste runs, and best apres I've ever experienced...and without blowing my own trumpet, I know a thing or two about apres... wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Philip,
I've Skied Ischgl 4 times. It is one of the best. Skiing is high end intermediate, Apres superb. the only aspect that is less than grat is the run back from Idalp in the evening.
Give it a go you will enjoy it enormously, and remember to go up to Galtur on one day, Sunday is usually best.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Philip Prior, I was in Iscghl last year, and I thought it was a better overall resort than the 3V or Zermatt that I did in the same year. The infastructure is absolutely first class (last year Reuters 'Where to ski & snowboard' voted it as the best infrastructure in Europe (or possibly the world). There's fast detachable 6/8 seater chairs everywhere. The ski area isn't as large as somewhere like the 3V, but it's varied, accessible and well layed out. As for Apres-Ski, then it's top class Austrian dancing-on-tabels at 5pm in the afternoon. The village itself though is also attractive and very pleasant. Accomodation wasn't cheap, but both prices on the mountain and resort were reasonable (e.g. London pub prices)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going there last week of Jan next year... Heard lots of good things about it so looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be full of piste skiers... leave all the lovely powder to me Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Diarmuid, We are going to Ischgl January 20th with Inghams and staying at the Jagerhof Hotel as it looks very central and right next to the moving walkway to the lifts.
http://www.jaegerhof-ischgl.at/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Diarmuid wrote:
Hopefully it will be full of piste skiers... leave all the lovely powder to me Toofy Grin

I've found it to be better off piste than St Anton cos it's not so full of powderhounds and everythings not tracked out by lunchtime.

There are a lot of families and a lot of pi$$heads and less serious skiers .. works out well cos it leaves the slopes quieter and by the time you get to the bar everyone's been drinking for at least a couple of hours and the atmosphere's nice and lively .. also they tend not be out and about quite so early in the morning.

Top resort ... a few years ago you very rarely heard an English voice but that seems to be changing rapidly .. just hope it doesn't change the atmosphere too much cos the apres is something special.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody used a guide in Ischgl for offpiste skiing who they would recommend?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:

I'd be interested in this request too...

surfski Thanks for that but I think my budget will be in the 50-60 E range. ischgl.com seems to have quite a bit there.
ski holidays
Which is the best route to get there on a diy basis?
ski holidays
Quote:

DB wrote:

What follows is entirely subjective....When we were there last April looking in the shops we saw very little off-piste gear in the shops, and we didn't find see the guides office. Maybe the local ski school/tourist office would be a good place to start ?

Just up the valley (Heidelburger hut) has some great touring country.. it's about 2 hours on skins, and would be worth staying for a couple of days at least Very Happy
latest report
ski,

As I said before nearly all of the Off-Piste (within the bounds of the Ski Area) has been serviced with new lifts and Pistes so there not much left IMHO.

When I was there in 85 we would take a Helicopter from Galtur and go Off-Piste above Matun (Just up the road from Ischgl). Unfortunatly HeloSkiing is Forbidden in the Tirol now. The main man (Mountain guide then ) was Manfred Lorenz. He is now alot older & the Director of the Avalanche Centre in Galtur . The Lorenz family virutally own Galtur.

You need to get over to the Swiss Side in Ischgl, here you have more Off-Piste opportunities. So I reconmend finding a Swiss Guide out of Samnaum.
ski holidays
tessaventer, Ischgl is only an hour or so from Innsbruck if you hire a car, a direct bus or a train to the bottom of the valley (can't remember the name of the town off hand...). All in all, it's not difficult to get too....
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
(can't remember the name of the town off hand...).
Landeck.

It's driveable from Munich, Friedrichshafen & Zurich as well ... there don't seem to be that many flights to Innsbruck unfortunately.
snow conditions
apparnetly ischgl is the gay skiing capital of the world or something?!

so if youre after apres you may want to reconsider!
snow report
marctimms, Didn't see anything to confirm that rumour when I visited....but there was some fabulous decor and everybody had immaculate hair
snow conditions
Guvnor, i'm not speaking from personal experience - i've just read it in a couple of places! i think its a quite recent thing...
ski holidays
As far as I know many large Austrian ski resorts (like other countries) have gay weeks (male and female). The whole resort isn't taken over it's just that the gay population increases and they are more outgoing. There's a gay week in St Anton and Ischgl had a gay week in 2005 (this might be a annual event too).
ski holidays
tessaventer wrote: Which is the best route to get there on a diy basis?

Tessaventer, we drive to Ischgl every year and have been doing so for the past 23 years. I'm not suggesting that the road route we use is the best route, period - but as far as we are concerned, it's the best route for us. Anyway, you got to get to Calais first. We always allow ourselves 14 hours with plenty of breaks.
From Calais we would first turn off at Reims and head for Strasbourg and then on to Mulhouse. From Mulhouse we would head on to Basel and then head toward Zurich. From Zurich we would head on toward Feldkirk to hit on the Innsbruck road to Ischgl. Passing through 3 sister ski resorts.. See, Diss, Kappl, and through 3 short tunnels before being greeted with open arms by Ischgl's scaly mascot- the giant green alligator!.
There a no visible off piste ski school that I know of, but 7 years ago we got chatting to a couple of off duty ski instructors and they proudly pointed out to us that Ischgl has a number of long itinerary runs and invited us to join them skiing a few of them after lunch.
Even these days Ischgl still retains a somewhat uncompromising stance with their first language. I suppose that's what makes Ischgl stand out against a cosmopolitan ski resort like St Anton.
ski holidays
Can someone confirm that:

They take Swiss Francs in the Austrian half of the ski area
They take Euro in the Swiss half of the ski area

Staying in Samnaun and would like to know how many currencies I'll need!
ski holidays
Over the last few days I've been looking at going at Christmas, but the accommodation in brochures and advertised on web seems extraordinarily expensive. Has anybody any recommendations for a good three star hotel which isn't going to cost an arm or a leg?
ski holidays
JUST BOOKED HOTEL GARNI-IDA FOR A WEEK IN MARCH B&B 4STAR WITH INGHAMS @ 533PP INC FLIGHTS AND TRANSFERS SEEMED GOOD TO ME snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hobbiteater, you should be OK with Euros. The swiss are not picky about the origins of their money, as long as it's real money. The Austrians are like minded. I always used to be able to pay with Deutschmarks in Austria, so at a guess I'd say they won't reject your Francs either.
snow report
NEILSKI, the difference in prices between Xmas and March is what you might call substantial... plus add your evening meal, another £250 a week probably, and it starts not looking so good!
snow conditions
STILL CHEAPER THAN HALFBOARD OPTIONS AT SOME HOTELS WITH A ABILITY TO CHOOSE YOUR DINING TASTES AND TIMES
snow conditions
hobbiteater, Although Swissland is not a member of the European Community, Samnaun will still accept euro currency as well as swiss francs. It is unlikely that Ischgl will readily accept swiss francs, you'll probably have to twist their arm a bit. What's wrong with Euros?
Enjoy, Samnaun.
ski holidays
NEILSKI Switch off the CAPS LOCK please, not good etiquette wink
latest report
hobbiteater,
It is quite a while since I last visited Ischgl (Back in the days of Schillings) but in my experience most x border ski currency areas will happily accept each others currency but you stand to lose quite a bit on the exchange rate compared with buying at the bank.
I am off to Samnaun myself this year and intend taking both currencies but paying for as much as possible by credit card as this usually works out cheapest.
ski holidays
If you eat in Samnaun you will be asked before it is rung up on the till if you are using Swiss Francs or Euros. Everything is priced in both currencies. Switzerland accepts everything, on the last day earlier this year we paid the first part of the food bill in CHF and the balance in Euros - not a problem and the till handled it easily.
snow conditions
Jane L,

In Switzerland they accept any legal currency Very Happy
latest report
Jane L, any other handy hints about Samnaun?
snow report
Because of Duty Free Status Swiss Products about 25% cheaper than in the EU. Very Happy
Swiss Watches much cheaper & the Family Zegg (they virtually own the town) are very negotiable Very Happy
Just do a search on google.ch Samnaun,uhren,zegg
snow conditions
hobbiteater wrote:
Jane L, any other handy hints about Samnaun?

don't go there .. it's deathly boring and you've a massive punt or bus to get to the cable car .... oh yeah, and it's got a cable car ( i hate them)
ski holidays
Anybody been skiing at Ischgl around Easter time?

Was thinking of going there this season but am a bit unsure of the quality of the snow around that time - How does is it compare to the snow elsewhere at this time of the year (last two Easter were spent at Solden and the Stubai glacier)?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy