Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail Ski magazine to be relaunched as 'Metro Ski'

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone who's following the scene will know that this year's Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Show is renamed as 'Metro Ski and Snowboard Show'.

Metro is a freeebie newspaper distributed by the Daily Mail (Associated Newspapers) group in London.

The Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine (they really go in for snappy titles, these guys) has a new website called:
http://www.skiandsnowboardonline.com

What hasn't been announced, because it's being kept a secret, is that the magazine will shortly be renamed and relaunched as 'Metro Ski'. This came in as a leak, believed to be based on an internal memo:

"We're going for a more hip lifestyle-focused reader, with a metropolitan attitude to skiing. Out go the anoraks, and in come the scene-setters. Let's define 'metro skiing' - what's new from the underground, the stuff that really makes the 'ski city' tick. A little bit of Paris, maybe. People may think this is a joke but let's take a look at underground funicular railways. Maybe a season-closing issue in April covering trick skiing and how to fool your friends that you can huck cliffs."
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So nothing about real skiing and real skiers then, just style over content?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Too early to say, and I'm not sure when the relaunch will take place. Maybe they're delaying it to April. I'll see what else I can find out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely this is taking the pi$$. While the DM in the title may be an immediate turn off to many potential readers an attempt to get "down with the kids" would be even more risible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Abominable snowHead wrote:

We're going for a more hip lifestyle-focused reader, with a metropolitan attitude to skiing. Out go the anoraks, and in come the scene-setters. Let's define 'metro skiing' - what's new from the underground, the stuff that really makes the 'ski city' tick. A little bit of Paris, maybe.

Hmmmm... I've always found the ski season in Paris so short.

Smells like utter desperation, anyone know their sales figures, they were about 20K last time I saw anything.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Who cares about leaked memos, or even the DMSS magazine? I don't Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, sensational photo!

And the Montmartre has a handy funicular, as I recall.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting (if true!) because they certainly need to do something to liven things up a bit. Rebranded show, rebranded mag next: makes sense to me. All the mags need to change... can't they just tell us stuff we can't easily find out online or know already. A bit more vitriolic content and never mind the advertisers. If a resort stinks (and I'm thinking Les Manures here) say so. We need less of the cheesy "everything is fab" then we might buy more of 'em.

sales fig is down to around 14k I think and I suspect there's bulk distribution hidden in there to make it look better. Pants performance when you consider the 1m or so sliders out there who can easily afford £3.50 for a mag.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

So nothing about real skiing and real skiers then, just style over content?

Quite. Pretty much sums up the Daily Mail.
Will they have a section about Holiday home price inflation as well ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dont live in london, Paris or even a city - does that mean Im not allowed to ski any more ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
will it be free like the Metro newspaper? i'd probably get it if it was Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting question. The paper is free, their ski show isn't. The magazine isn't free at the moment, though I think you get a free copy if you go to the show, which you have to pay for.

Clearly if the public equate the word 'Metro' with 'freebie' this could be tricky for the publishers.

I'm told they're heavily into the word 'Metro' as being hip, edgy etc. They're also really keen to link this underground funicular thing with their image. 'Catch the Metro .. get to the summit', 'feel the rush', 'take the tube', and so on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Metro - Hip ? Edgy ? no its not its a 26 year old tram in Newcastle that is mostly above ground OR a large shopping centre on a fomer Coke Works snowHead

Fall Line is the hip ski mag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S,
Quote:

Maybe, trouble is you can't find it anywhere. I've been to numerous WHSmiths in airports, train stations, high streets on my travels but not seen it once this year. I've seen Daily Mail, Ski&VeryBored, Good Ski Guide (with their fantastic free lip balm offer!) and that's it. I'm darn sarf but my mate in Newcastle says he sees all the titles there however.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, there you go. The further north you go the more seriously they take this sport. I've also got a ski friend in Newcastle (who doesn't just read ski magazines) - we skied Glencoe one day with 25 ft of snow burying the top t-bar.

They don't just read magazines up there, you know.
ski holidays
That would be an interesting turn if it did turn out to be free. There is still a perception out there that free means low quality when it comes to magazines, and that is something we have been working hard to change. If another ski magazine moves to free distribution that would have quite an effect on the industry.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
davidof, sensational photo!

And the Montmartre has a handy funicular, as I recall.

Yes you could get a few runs in. The photo is of my friend Vanessa on the day Paris was paralyzed by 2cm of snow. She walked up though but it would seem to fit in the DMSM image. I couldn't find the photo she too on the Metro with her skis... but it would make a good photoshoot for MetroSkiMag.

I'm not sure where the DMSM sits really. Ski and Board seems to have the "real skier" end of the market covered with some serious and interesting articles and at the "hip" end you've got Fall Line and Dark Summer. Is sounds like they want to do a kind of ski version of "Stuff" which I suppose could work.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
... sounds like they want to do a kind of ski version of "Stuff" which I suppose could work.

Not a bad idea. Maybe it could be called 'Skuff' or 'Skiff'
latest report
I managed to stumble upon the magazine in W H Smith's recently and thought it was utterly risible. They even padded it out with some sort of brochure which was more interesting than the mag itself. They really need some genuine creative input, the like of which Arnie Wilson is able to do. There is so much that could be done but for some reason, it's the same old articles trotted out each season with a resort review at the back.

This attempt at a New Labour stylised approach to the magazine, with its London focus, is laughable. To have what is essentially the Daily Mail adopting a cool, hip and pseudo-libreal approach is contemptuous of any half sentient being.

Whilst we all have a go (and rightly too) at the Ski Club as being an Edwardian anachronism, it has to be said its magazine is light years better than the DMG one.

I wont (and haven't) be buying it.
snow report
You're clearly not an avid reader of Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazine, kevin.

I've just had a personal email from the editor, Henry, with lots of news about the show and an invitation to enjoy a "free sample of wine" on the "Crystal Ice Climbing Wall". Does anyone know the size of this sample, and what influence it might have on my ice climbing?

Henry makes no mention of the new title of his magazine. He must be chomping at the bit to pick up the phone and say "Hello, Metro Ski", instead of "Hello, Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine". How much longer before the big announcement?
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Surely this is taking the pi$$. While the DM in the title may be an immediate turn off to many potential readers an attempt to get "down with the kids" would be even more risible.

LOL, there's nothing like a bit of patronising the punters eh!? Wink

True though that for many the image of the DM is not something particularly positive so they are well advised to change the name, doesn't mean I'll buy it though if it stays the same as now!
kevin mcclean wrote:
This attempt at a New Labour stylised approach to the magazine, with its London focus, is laughable. To have what is essentially the Daily Mail adopting a cool, hip and pseudo-libreal approach is contemptuous of any half sentient being.

I think the Daily Mail doing cool, hip and pseudo-liberal is a contradiction in terms and if they spot you accusing them of a New Labour approach they'll be suing Wink
Quote:
Whilst we all have a go (and rightly too) at the Ski Club as being an Edwardian anachronism, it has to be said its magazine is light years better than the DMG one.

Agreed but surely the Daily Mail upholds Victorian values, none of that namby pamby leftie Edwardian nonsense Wink

Personally I'll stick to Fall Line and Dark Summer which IMHO are the best mags I've seen.
snow conditions
Quote:

"We're going for a more hip lifestyle-focused reader, with a metropolitan attitude to skiing. Out go the anoraks, and in come the scene-setters. Let's define 'metro skiing' - what's new from the underground, the stuff that really makes the 'ski city' tick. A little bit of Paris, maybe. People may think this is a joke but let's take a look at underground funicular railways. Maybe a season-closing issue in April covering trick skiing and how to fool your friends that you can huck cliffs."

<projectile-vomits across room, narrowly missing cat>
ski holidays
Any other snowHeads who've NEVER bought any kind of skiing magazine?

Lizzard, you're not only the only who cringes at meaningless verbiage from marketing types who think they're oh-so f***ing "creative".
latest report
So other than fall line can anyone recommend other good ski mags to read?
latest report
DMS&S is my favourite ski mag Embarassed

But then again I don't have any problem with the 'Daily Mail' tag. A deplorable newspaper, but I'm not daft enough to tar a whole publishing house with the same brush. Ski&Board is too boring, Fall Line - which I do buy, and enjoy - is a bit too gnarly for me. I don't often huck 1080s off 80ft high backcountry booters. I wonder how many of its readers actually do?
ski holidays
Oh and Fall Line/Document's typesetting and layout is the worst thing I've ever seen. At least I can read DMS&S without blood pouring out of my eyes.
ski holidays
Blimey, this thread is a blast from the past but it's reminded me that the Daily Mail Ski magazine *hasn't* been relaunched as 'Metro Ski'!

Anyway, other mags.... depends what you want but I've never been a fan of ski mags that are just glorified printed holiday guides, I'm more interested in the general scene and the gnarlier bits - probably the result of growing up near the Cairngorms and regularly skiing there rather than being a once a year holiday skier.

To be honest at the moment I'd say Fall Line is it in the UK (although I have to admit I did buy the latest issue of the DM mag for the 'free' Canadian ski calendar and I get the Ski Club offering as a member but not sure I'm taking full advantage of the discounts these days so may cancel my membership).

Other than UK mags Powder and Freeskier are good 'uns from the USA (the latter has issues viewable online). Another US mag, Ski, seems to be regularly available in WH Smiths and elsewhere this season so you could have a look at that too.

Not sure about European ones because unfortunately neither my French or German is good enough to enjoy a 'relaxing' read of their mags.
latest report
Oh yeah, hadn't spotted how old it was. Curse you, adance...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Peter S, Quote:

Maybe, trouble is you can't find it anywhere. I've been to numerous WHSmiths in airports, train stations, high streets on my travels but not seen it once this year. I've seen Daily Mail, Ski&VeryBored, Good Ski Guide (with their fantastic free lip balm offer!) and that's it. I'm darn sarf but my mate in Newcastle says he sees all the titles there however.

Or that they dont deliver your subscription or Free gift Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
DMS&S is my favourite ski mag Embarassed

LOL, cats out the bag now paulio Wink
Quote:
But then again I don't have any problem with the 'Daily Mail' tag. A deplorable newspaper, but I'm not daft enough to tar a whole publishing house with the same brush.

LOL, I'm completely daft Razz
Quote:
Ski&Board is too boring, Fall Line - which I do buy, and enjoy - is a bit too gnarly for me. I don't often huck 1080s off 80ft high backcountry booters. I wonder how many of its readers actually do?

As you'll have noticed at Nevis I was continually doing 180s off anything I could find Wink
ski holidays
I don't suppose a head plant counts as a 180...

Ordhan, the free Goggles are really good... NehNeh
latest report
Apologies for pulling up a couple of quotes from a couple of years ago...
Quote:
Out go the anoraks,

Quote:
People may think this is a joke but let's take a look at underground funicular railways.

Am I the only person that this doesn't quite equate for. Get rid of the anoraks, and then start doing articles on railways... Laughing
snow conditions
skisimon, LOL. Seriously though, as a scene-setter myself I don't see what you losers are all whinging about.

davidof, Any idiot would know that when they suggest including
Quote:
A little bit of Paris, maybe.
they are referring to my NFB http://img.actressarchives.com/paris/SocialitePar_Mazur_16175778.jpg

Anyways,

Laters!
latest report
stoatsbrother, So is the Magazine if it would ever arrive Evil or Very Mad The goggles will be donated once received but that is not the point!!!! I am like a bold child I want my Magazine.
latest report
Quote:

Any other snowHeads who've NEVER bought any kind of skiing magazine?

Any other Snowheads who use the excellent (ahem) free library facilities of WH Smith etc to keep up to date with ski mags, mountain bike mags, outdoor pursuit mags and the type of mags featuring musicians like Miles Davis (er, that'll be jazz mags....Embarassed) ??

Reader's tip: It'll save you pounds - which you can then spend on expensive euros.....
ski holidays
I once got told off as a boy in WHS for excitedly thumbing through a copy of Health & Efficiency.
snow report
Quote:

sounds just like the typical daily mail reader to me Laughing
latest report
Having been phoned by snowHeads Reader Relations Desk this morning I should explain (2+ years on) that my sauce (a revolting Holandaise, whipped up by a Parisian Metro driver) turned out to be totally unreliable. The quote above and in the original post should be ignored.

The latest and equally dubious information, from the boardroom (sic) of Associated Newspapers, is as follows:

1. The Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine will continue to be branded as such, to reflect the distinguished journalism of its mother paper, the Daily Mail.
2. The Metro Ski and Snowboard Show will continue to be branded to reflect the 'racy, disposable' quality of its mother paper, the Metro.
3. To avoid any further confusion the Daily Mail and the Metro will shortly be merged to produce the Daily Metro Ski and Snowboard Show and Magazine. 'Olympia in your newsagents'
snow conditions
Seems I was only half joking, for a change:

http://www.metrosnow.co.uk/index.php?id=0

So, the dynamic and progressive re-branding continues. www.skiandsnowboardonline.com (see opening post) is now the more snappy www.metrosnow.co.uk

In defiance of this trend The Abominable snowHead will shortly be re-branded as The Abominable skiandboardMetrohead
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
1. The Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine will continue to be branded as such, to reflect the distinguished journalism of its mother paper, the Daily Mail.
Thank you, that was funnier than the anoraks/railway piece! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy