Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, well me and my partner are thinking about going to Banff.
we are two beginner snowboarders, hoping to improve alot out there!
We have been looking at the two weeks leaving on the 20th of Jan.
Our main concern lies with the weather...I've tried to look it up, but can't find any information on the hisorical temperatures at this time. From what I've read the snow would appear not to be a concern! Although it will be nothing like the snow I experienced in Fernie!! Lol. But should be a darn sight better than the poor conditions experienced in Sauze last season.
Anyone who has been, did you find the trek up to the mountain from resort a problem? Especially when going over to Lake Louise or Sunshine...How are the shuttle buses?
The hotel we are looking at is The Aspen Lodge, on a B&B basis. Any views on it?
We have found a price of £1999 for the two of us including area lift pass for 10days, and snowboard hire, going with crsytal. Is this a good deal? The under occ kinda cripples ya!
Any info would be greatly recieved. It is obviously alot of money to shell out, and we don't want to make the wrong decision!
Thanks all! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jopo, Probably cold, very cold Have a look on Inghams site for prices though before you book. You may get a bargain waiting for a late deal though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jopo, it could well be very cold at that time of year - be prepared! But it may not be. I'd agree with Helen's comments re Inghams - they've always turned out to be the cheapest but I guess a price of £1,000 each including lift pass & board hire is reasonable. I haven't stayed in the Aspen Lodge & can't even think where it is.

The ski bus is a very good service - runs to a timetable and highly organised with lots of walki talkie communication to ensure everyone gets a seat - they have coaches waiting to be called up if needed & they will keep coming. Skis & boards go in the luggage compartments under the bus & no standing on the coach. Times - it takes about 20 mins to Sunshine then about another 20 mins up in the gondola to the ski area. Lake Louise about 45 mins.

If you do a search on Banff you'll find lots of info written about restaurants & bars etc. Our favourite restaurant is Saltliks mmmmmm. But the Keg is good for reasonably priced steak meals etc.

Be sure to get tuition when you're out there. Club Ski is the usual programme most people take (me included!) - 3 days, 1 day each in Lake Louise, Sunshine & Norquay. It is good but I've also heard very good reports about the ski school in Sunshine & think their instruction may be better than Club Ski, which is a bit more based on showing you round the different areas rather than just concentrating on the tuition.

Have fun! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jopo, I think it's on Banff Avenue, so you're pretty central. Website for hotel is http://www.banffaspenlodge.com/index.shtml
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jopo,

I was in Lake Louise in November 2004. The one thing I say to everyone is to consider a night in the Sunshine Inn. It's the only ski in/out hotel in the area. Sheer isolation and they have a 40 person hot tub.

I think your price sounds OK. I think we paid about the same for our 10 day trip. Have you tried Ski Independence?

It will be cold though
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Independence are very good but not cheap. I doubt they'd be able to beat that price.

Ah yes, Aspen Lodge is ringing a bell thanks to Helen's link. I think its pretty close to the main hub of Banff so a good location. We've stayed in the Caribou Lodge & the Ptarmigan Inn. Caribou Lodge was the nicer hotel but a bit of a trek out if you can't be bothered to wait for the city bus. Ptarmigan Inn was fine, very close to the shops, restaurants etc & a very handy bar! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info...So it's probably gonna be coooooold. Would you guys advise booking later and paying the extra for the warmer weather? Or just take a couple of extra layers? Argh! I just don't know. Could go a week later, so we will be looking at end of Jan thru to early Feb. That doesn't alter the cost greatly. But then your getting into kiddies holidays, and want to avoid that like the plague, for costs and business of the slopes. Then your getting into march...And well I'm not sure if I can wait that long! Laughing

The hotel was mostly picked because, a/its central location b/it is B&B and we didn't wanna faff around with getting breakfast every morning c/ the overall saving, it costs about £70 for the two weeks for the two of us, which works out at £5 per day for two for breakfast. Which I don't think is bad at all! and d/ I reeeeeally wanted an outdoor hot tub, last time I was in Canda our hotel had one and i loved it! Its probably a bit silly. But I want to have one again....

I know we can probably get a better price booking last minute. But then we are left with the unknown, of not knowing if we will be able to get a hotel that is right, and the date etc...But it is a big holiday, two weeks in Canada, so I think I want to have something booked well in advance so we can be best prepared, and book the time off work well in advance etc...I would hate to leave it to the luck of whats left.

Thanks again all! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As you know, there's no guarantees with weather. But if you can I would book for even just a week later. Don't worry about getting into Feb and all the kids - you don't get the hordes in the school hols that you do in France/Europe. Weekends are a bit busy with the skiers coming up from Calgary but it's still not in the Europe league of busy.

I think your price is fine - the lift passes are pretty expensive & you can't avoid that! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jopo, you can get great breakfasts all over Banff, and on the mountain, for next to nothing. Go to Melissa's on Lynx Street for a change if you're having a day off skiing. Steak and eggs, eggs benedict, etc. You'll not need lunch!!! IF you fancy a real treat go dog-sledding . Now I want to go!!!! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
2 weeks for under a grand with lift pass is not too bad as I'd guess lift passes are C$70+ a day by now. I wouldn't worry about the cold -its what facemasks are for. Don't assume you'll get Fernie like snow (or rain) but I can't think of many better places for skiers & snowboarders with a couple of weeks under their belt. Look when Alberta, Saskatchewan & Ontario school holidays are if you are worried about Feb.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Really wanna get over there sometime.

The wife has some family in Calgary and they keep on inviting us over, but other things always seem to happen and we never make it.

I think we'll go over for some skiing in '08.

So what sort of stupidly low temperatures are normal for January?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have heard reports of -35! Eeep Shocked
But Im pretty sure that isn't a constant...I hope Shocked Puzzled
I've got a quote for the 27th, it's only an extra £74 for the 2 of us. So may well go with that one.
Thanks muchly again all. I have checked Canadian school holidays in that area, they don't seem to have any in Feb! So thats good. Obv I know that at weekends the slopes will get busier with the locals and such...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jopo, Have a look at Neilson's prices. at first glance they look more expensive but they quote for 2 in a room not 4 and for Air Canada flights. I was really worried about the temperature, we went for New Year which can be horrifically cold I believe, but it was fine last year. Coaches to slopes are fine, we were in the Inns of Banff which is the first stop, an advantage. Hotel to slope is around 45 mins for LL and for Sunshine (coach + gondola), Norquay far shorter. It's a great place I shall definitely return.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The weather can be a real mish-mash, I'm always in the area at that time of jan (no effing school holidays etc) and I've had variations from minus 50 with wind chill (everyone gets frostbite and only the foolish british ski) to +5! It seems it's not as predictable as it was 10 years ago. However if you keep moving you won't notice.

Edit: I'm the only person in my group who's never had frostbite, I put this down to a fine circulation from fags & coffee & I also smear vaseline over my face when it's really cold + balaclava.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jopo, there's a Family Holiday around the middle of Feb, about the same time as US presidents weekend, but you should miss that, it was quite crowded around then.
ski holidays
jopo, it'll probably be bloody freezing for at least some of the time, but that shouldn't be a huge problem in itself. I like Banff a lot; it's a decent sized, if rather touristy, town in a stunningly beautiful place. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars; people on here will go on about them endlessly if you give us the chance. I highly recommend the buffet dinner (and/or brekkie and/or brunch, but not on the same day) in the Bow Valley Grill at the Banff Springs Hotel. It's a buffet, which is a bit uncivilised for dinner, but it is the best buffet you're ever likely to see, and v. good vfm. The Lake Lousie Station should not be missed; the food is good, but the atmos is great. I've never been disappointed with a meal in Banff SFAICR.

I'd seriously consider hiring a car. The shuttle buses are pretty good as buses go, and they're thrown in with the Tri area (Banff, LL, Mt Norquay) lift pass, but the convenience of a car does it for me. It would allow you to go a bit further afield if you wanted to (Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Fortress) and of course you avoid the ghastliness that is a TO transfer. The drive up to Mt Norquay (well worth a visit) is about 10 mins, Sunshine about 20 mins, LL about 30/40 mins (the old 1A highway is a pleasant way of getting from Banff to LL, very scenic, and quiet).

I don't know the Aspen Lodge. £1000 a head including passes doesn't sound too bad (the passes probably cost about £250 each) ; it's 10 years + since we went without the kids, so we haven't paid under occ charges for a long while. You may find that some of the posher hotels have double rooms (as opposed to quads), in which case although you won't pay less, you might get a bit more hotel for your money. If you want an outdoor tub, look at the Inns of Banff (among others). Breakfast is easily and cheaply obtained anywhere, so I shouldn't worry about that; we found that eating up at Sunshine was best, there's a cheap and cheerful buffet at the car park cafe and a self service place at the ski base), as we found it easier to get the kids into ski school on time that way. Hotel brekkies (with the exception of the Banff Springs buffet) tend to be the least inspiring, in my limited experience of them.
snow report
I was in Banff last week of January last year it was no colder than a bad day in the Alps but it was not normal temperatures. In late December and early January it can be unpleasant -40 degrees. As you get later in January and into February things warm up to what you would expect in Europe. So be prepared for some cold. Banff is a great place and staying on Banff Avenue is ideal, the ski buses are very efficient and getting to the ski areas is no problem at all as a snow boarder Lake Louise and Sunshine are probably better suited to you especially if your beginners because terrain is more varied.

I love Banff and have been twice even though I destroyed my knee in Sunshine last year I will go back

For me the only bad thing was I couldn't finish all my meals because the portion sizes are so big.
snow conditions
We went to Lake Louise for Christmas 1998 and it was -34c or thereabouts for most of our ten days! Even the instructors were suffering from frostbite. Had masques, handwarmers, toe warmers, you name it, no flesh showing! Of course, the day we left it warmed up to -5 and beautiful clear skies. We had a lot of snow. If I went again I would go in March, April .. apparently it warms up by then.
snow conditions
There are nearly always good late deals to Banff.

The Shuttle buses we didn't use but spoke to a few people who said they were very good. All the travel is a pain though, esp. for Lake Louise which is the best area.

Sunshine is also a bit of a pain for Boarders, as there are quite a few flat spots, it can even be a pain when on skis depending on the type/temp. of snow.

When it is cold it is f. cold.

Banff is a cracking night out.
snow report
If you don't need the night life, you can stay at Lake Louise, at a variety of hotels, the cheapest option being the the Lake Louise inn, which is reasonable and convenient and a 5 minute bus ride from the hill, and 45 minutes nearer Kicking Horse (the bus stops in the forecourt), and you can still get to Banff/Sunshine on the coach. Crystal look to have some pretty cheap deals for there ...
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
.....you can stay at Lake Louise ....... and you can still get to Banff/Sunshine on the coach.

You need to be careful with this as I'm pretty sure there's only something like one bus a day going to Sunshine from Lake Louise. Everything is geared up to buses between Banff/LL or Banff/Sunshine. I've tried to find a timetable but can only find the timetable for buses from Banff http://www.skibig3.com/onmountain/banffshuttles.cfm and the website for LL only has the timetables for buses up to LL ski area http://www.skilouise.com/gettinghere/lakelouise_area_express.asp
snow report
cathy, I think you may be right there. I'd definitely choose Banff.
latest report
Just looking at the Banff bus timetable in the link above - that is the very low season one from mid-April, there will be many more buses than that running during the peak ski season, roughly every 20 mins/half hour
snow report
cathy, You are right about direct LL> Sunshine services. I guess my point is if you mainly want to ski LL, (and many people think that is the better hill_, and for a beginner boarder, hitting every run in each local area may not be as important to you, the best way of being very close to a hill is to be in LL. BUT - if you want to be close to lots of shops and nightlife, banff is the option for you. LL is scenic but quiet...
latest report
I think LL will be too quiet. We are only in our mid and late twenties, and even though we are not big on going out too much, I do think LL will be too quiet. But thanks for the info! LL does look beautiful.
I was hoping with two weeks my boarding will progress sufficiantly enough for me to want to do more exploring...But I am not holding out many hopes...And well there is always skiing to fall back on. Laughing
ski holidays
jopo, I'll be leaving Banff the day you arrive! I'm going on the 10th January for 10 days, I'm in your age group so I can safely say you won't be disapointed with the nightlife (although I never got to see much of it due to a cold! Mad).

It may well be very cold, it was -5 to -10 when I went last January and this was considered mild!
snow report
Banff may well be the better option for you, from Banff there are lots of buses every day to LL, but at that time of year it's only twice a week from LL to Sunshine.

Edit: to be honest, Kicking Horse would be a pretty much wasted trip for novices unless you want to pay for a lift ticket just to ride a gondola to the top to go to the restaurant. It is an advanced hill and although there are easier runs on the bottom half of the hill unless you've a massive desire for a coach trip day out you won't really have too much fun. At least at Louise and Sunshine nothing is "out of bounds" really for novices. Although if you can do the summit platter drag lift on a snowboard then KH is not out of your league! snowHead
snow conditions
Well its all done and booked 27th Jan we will be there! Shocked Very Happy
Now I just have to somehow wait the three and a half months till we go! Madeye-Smiley
And hopefully get some practice and a couple more lessons in at the dome before we go, to get our boarding up to a half decent standard. But I guess tuition out there will be very good, if I'm still not confident enough...
Thanks again for all the advice, it was very much appreciated!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Which hotel are you staying at? I fly out 26th I think.
ski holidays
Alexandra, we are staying at the Aspen Lodge, where are you staying?
latest report
Also, we have been trying to figure out how much spending money to take...I know the exchange rate is strong...And that eating out is quite good value.
But we have booked B&B, and we want to be comfortable...We are thinking about £1000 for two weeks. But we don't know if that is way to much, or way to little! Last time I was in Canada was 7 years ago, and it was a different resort! So nothing i can compare it too! and our last trip was Europe...We also want to be able to do some non-boarding type activities...Maybe dog sledding, or skidooing, and maybe a trip to Calgary.
Any info again would be much appreciated!
Thanks again! Smile
snow report
I think I'm at the Rundlestone, I just book where my mates have booked.

Don't know about spending money, I usually spend faaaahsands but then I do tend to go on a shopping binge.

Dog-sledding and skidoo activities are really expensive (say 100 quid per person minimum), a trip to Calgary will probably only be 50 dollars each on the bus return but then there will be tempting shops... Wink Eating out is fairly cheap but beers & alcohol are not!
snow conditions
jopo, personally I'd say that would be fine. You can always take take cash out of cash machines over there if you need it or use credit card. I think we normally spend about £400 each on normal eats/drinks/little purchases. Things like dog-sledding, expensive meals or larger purchases go on credit card.
snow conditions
jopo, if you open a Nationwide FlexAccount or credit card, you don't get stung for charges.
snow conditions
jopo, I took £550 (over $1000) for my trip last year and came back with enough to place a deposit on my next trip and an upgrade to premium economy on my flight! I found that I only need around $60 a day to cover meals and drinks so I'm only taking about $650 this time! Cool

B&B can be incovenient if you want to get to the slopes of Lake Louise early! wink
snow conditions
They do a nice breakfast buffet in the restaurant at the bottoms of the slopes though.
ski holidays
RichardB wrote:
jopo, I'll be leaving Banff the day you arrive!

Charming.

jopo, £1000 for 2 weeks should be OK, depending on your tastes. It's not really a cash economy; everywhere takes cards, so you only need cash for cabs (which you might not need anyway).

There's dogsledding in LL and in Canmore; the Canmore effort is significantly better value and more fun. Snowmobiling near Golden, about 1/1.5 hours (?) away; they run a coach there. Good fun, absolutely knackering. Ice skating on the lake at LL and at Banff Springs Hotel. Cross country skiing at LL (and no doubt elsewhere). Snowshoe walks and a stroll up Johnson's Canyon to see frozen waterfalls etc etc (organised trips; you can do it on your own but you need some sort of studded footwear as its icy, icy, icy). Swimming at the hot springs just outside Banff. Lake Minnewanka (not very exciting, but good for a snigger or two).

I'd rather disembowel myself with a rusty nail than go into Calgary, but if you do, have lunch in the revolving restaurant up the Calgary Tower.
snow report
I didn't think drinks were dear at all in Banff but then I didn't really go to any of the trendier places. I know when I payed my bill in the hotel at the end of 10 days for about 3 bar meals for 1 adult and 1 child and a few beers on those and other nights it only came to about $250 I think. The hot ticket in Calgary then was the evening trip to see the ice hockey. After putting her through a baseball game the previous summer my daughter was not to be persuaded Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I can't speak for Banff, but elsewhere in the Canadian Rockies prices are generally low. Last year we found that food, coffee, etc was incredibly cheap - £2-3 for a substantial cooked breakfast including drinks in resort-owned, slopeside eateries with no independent competition. Some things are expensive, though - lessons, passes and equipment hire are usually all more expensive than Europe.

But the best thing about Canada is the people. It starts when you disembark at Calgary airport where you'll find people who seem to have no other role in life than to say 'Welcome to Canada' to eveyone who walks past. Unlike almost every other country, Canadian immigration officials actually smile at you and wish you a good holiday. And it just doesn't stop - almost everyone you meet - lift attendants, waiting staff, fellow skiers - will be friendly and polite.

I know that's my anecdotal evidence based on a just a few trips but everyone I know who's been to Canada says the same thing. It's a great place - enjoy.
latest report
Jonny Jones, whilst lessons might be expensive on paper, personally I find that a canadian lesson outclasses the european equivalent in every single way, PLUS when it's really cold the instructors can get you free hot chocolates! snowHead

Last year you could get an early bird for 119 dollars, which is 90 minutes (before the lifts open to the public) private lesson with an instructor of your choice - bargain!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy