Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
Here's that photo of the Ciste I mentioned above (note the two chairs still on the 'reduntant' chairlift - I believe they're sometimes used to take staff up the hill!):

As said above, larger piccy and a load more on Winterhighland, there are also reports and photos on Highland instinct.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very tempting.......how much is laying up top, looks like a good few inches snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's some more pics from around the Scottish Areas on Saturday - click the image to view more photos.

CairnGorm Mountain:

Nevis Range:

Glencoe:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stunning shots Alan. Fingers crossed for next w/e.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like there is a good base forming. I was up in Glencoe at the weekend and there was plenty of snow about. Don't know how ready the resort is though - they haven't put all the chairs back on the bottom lift yet.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
looks like heavy snow again on the 'gorm top cam Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going to get/remain very windy this week. Looks like there'll be more to come, though the possibility of some warmer air at the weekend. As it's rPM though it might remain cold enough (not looked at any temp charts).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
'gorm top cam still all snowed up, daylodge cam shows "consolidation" lower down, and looking like a nice cover mid station upwards.

Any snowheads planning a slide this weekend? 'Gorm are saying on their website that it's marginal but they hope to open this weekend if they can with Ciste, M1 and funicular, and that they will update the info early Friday

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, I'm watching the forecasts but given I'd have to take at least one child with me, I'd say it's looking more unlikely at the moment. Weather conditions look somewhat marginal with a potential washout on the cards late Saturday Sad

Sunday currently looks like a decent day if any snow survives.

If that LP would just shift a couple of hundred miles East on Saturday's chart we could be in business, still time for things to move around a fair bit ....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still enough uncertainty about anything after tomorrow's LP (that is now developing nicely on the satellite pictures) to warrant not making any plans for this weekend (both positive or negative). It still looks like it could get very windy again though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sunday might be your best bet...though it might be warm. I'm sure that picture will change though (atm I'd follow ECMWF, UKMO & perhaps GEM most closely, though never ignore the other models).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is from skiclub website

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/webcams/webcams.asp

click on the link on the page

also predicted light rain for thursday which doesnt look good. i think that the picture is only showing the lower station though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom Lowe,

The link is to the Ptarmigan cam. which can be found here:
http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image2.jpg

the daylodge cam at the base is found here:
http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image.jpg

but isn't working as I write this.

Temperature at the summit is -1C at the moment so is probably snowing down to about half way down the White Lady.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a bit of a whiteout at the top!
latest report
The forecast is for quite a bit of snow over the next few days over 700m. The only problem is that there will be gale force winds along with it.

For anyone who doesn't have the link Mountain Weather Information Service has some of the best forecasts for mountain weather in the UK.

snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
A deeply uncertain weekend in prospect, where small details (tiny where global weather models are concerned) will have big consequences ....

either this Sad

LP centred on Kintyre, horrible warm wet air dragged right across the Highlands, no snow by Sunday Shocked

... or this Very Happy

LP centred on Edinburgh, warm wet air out in the North Sea, potentially blizzards across the Highlands.

Who'd be a forecaster ?
latest report
TBH GFS operational has not been the better of the models in handling this week's situation up to now, so I'd err on the side of the UKMO (and others).

Interestingly, GFS had this LP too shallow, whereas the one for Saturday it is reckoning will be deeper then the UKMO thinks. This will affect the track as deeper LPs tend to track further to the left (I think and cannot remember why).
latest report
Sunday is looking better provided nothing too drastic happens to the snow on Saturday, but there could still be a window of not too stormy weather on Saturday, hopefully enough snow will fall before it gets milder that the overall effect is a gain or neutral at worst. Fingers Crossed!!

If the Gorm does manage to open on Saturday with the three proposed lifts that will be two more than Kirkwood manages at best! I won't rub the fact in like I did last November when I dumped a ton of Gorm powder pics into Kirkwoods inbox - cause last December all the snow promptly melted!
snow report
Winterhighland, Saturday sounds grim http://www.mwis.org.uk/forecast.php?area=3
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Swirly, but Sunday sounds fairly reasonable and there's a fair chance of some fresh snow late Saturday and through the night.

If it didn't clash with the Hibs-Celtic game on Sunday I'd be heading up I think.
snow conditions
Well I'd take any forecast for tomorrow with a pinch of salt at the moment. There is virtually no agreement between the models, with the FAX chart being a best guess between several of the outputs. I wouldn't be surprised if the forecast charts look different after the 12z runs.
snow conditions
The 6am GFS run has pretty much done away with tomorrows Storm, a much more shallow low. If it's right overnight rain/sleet/snow will giveway to sunny spells and a few wintry showers falling as snow on upper and later middle slopes. Winds SW'ly30mph gusting maybe 45. Could be right, could be that GFS has simply missed this ! Will have to wait and see what develops, but even this evenings forecasts could still have low confidence in exact details.

According to the SkiFM Report on MFR this morning both 2005/06 and 2006/07 Season Tickets are valid this weekend at CairnGorm Mountain. There is no ticket office available at present, so an entirely manual ticketing system will be in place. The funicular is due to open at 9.30am, so probably a good idea to get there reasonably early if you need to buy (or collect a complimentary ticket if you haven't received your season pass yet) and want to get on that first train of the season!
snow conditions
Quote:
Could be right, could be that GFS has simply missed this ! Will have to wait and see what develops, but even this evenings forecasts could still have low confidence in exact details.

It might be right, but other models are still happy to develop it. The current area of development is generally a data-sparse area, so that may affect its handle on the system. I think the best handle will be gained this afternoon/evening.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So what time is this afternoons update on the everchanging forecast for tommorrow going to appear Smile . I'm without computer access once I leave work this afternoon evening and will proably be training for xc on Sunday. Need to know whether the 4hr round trip to Cairngorm is worth it or if I should stay in and watch the XC on eorosport Very Happy
latest report
Dave Horsley,

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/OTHER/status.asp

Shows when various forcasts start and end
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Dave Horsley, the 12z GFS will start to come out (on wetterzentrale) about 3.30pm. The MetO fax charts for 12 are round about the same time. Geoff Monk's mwis forecast is normally out by 5pm.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
12z GFS is coming out now. Good news, thaw conditions overnight but the bulk of the rain misses the highlands and is out in the North Sea. Winds should be moderate to fresh, freshening as the day goes on but not up in 70-80mph category.

Cover on the Gorm looks good with the M1, Lady and Cas all looking skiable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like I'm telemarking at Cairngorm tommorrow then Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Geoff Monk's MWIS forecast is out:

winds 20-35mph, gusting 35-50.

generally dry, snow showers which could merge to give longer periods of snow

cloud base 800 - 1100 m, perhaps clearing eastern summits

FL - 800 to 1000m

all in all, not too bad ....
snow conditions
The MetO are forecasting the very strong winds to be in the south, with I would guess the strongest winds over Scotland being toinght, then later on in the day as the LP moves away, and the ridge moves over on Sunday. Saturday lunchtime you'll have the LP system overhead, according to the FAX charts.
snow report
Best of luck anyone going up this weekend, I hope the weather is okay.

I'll be up the week/weekend after next so save some snow for me Very Happy
ski holidays
Well the LP system's development is still ongoing, so we don't know yet how it'll go (still some very varied model suggestions). I have to go and get the train now, so I'll probably miss it all. Let us know how it panned out. It's been a very interesting week for this sort of thing.
snow report
 brian
brian
Hmmm, boarderdownunder has popped a much better res pic than the webcam up onto winterhighland ....

Full size here http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=3333

So I was a little overenthusiastic above, M1 looks skiable but sketchy, Lady and Gunbarrel not really skiable unless you're a rock hopper.

I was wavering towards going but I think that's just put me off .... save the brownie points for better cover.
snow report

105 on wednesday

fairway today
Still looks like it's worth the trip - I'm working tomorrow but will be there on Sunday if nothing drastic happens in the next 36 hours Very Happy
latest report
more here re Scottish ski resorts update - here
snow report
some vid from 'gorm today

http://youtube.com/v/_bDXWWbKW8w

http://youtube.com/v/un9YbzfW1o4
ski holidays
^ looks pretty good to be honest and I envy the lack of crowds - I was beginner dodging at Tamworth today, talk about crowded!

Now I just want that snow to hang around for at least a week or two until I'm up and I'll be a happy man, more snow falling would be even better and the base holding all season with loads more on top even better Very Happy

Looks like the weather conditions were far better than predicted too.

Well done Cairngrm on opening up - they should be applauded!
snow conditions
hibernia, good to see the Ski Club are covering the Scottish resorts - I recall a time, admittedly many years ago now, when they seemed almost blind to what was hapening north of the border - thankfully they seem far better nowadays Smile
snow report
Razz It's a small world wink ... Here's another one ...
http://youtube.com/v/vSJNf3hydWo

And a pic showing the heaving crowds NehNeh ... http://i10.tinypic.com/4hsq78g.jpg

There's a thread with lots more reports coming in at winterhighland too...

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,65299,page=10

Well worth the trip as long as you don't expect the whole mountain. Snow is quite rattly under foot, compacted broken crud where pisted and hard icy with vehicle tracks etc where not (i.e. going down to mid-station). I took a hike up to the plateau and found plenty of wind-blown frozen stuff with tufts of grass poking out everywhere and more than the odd few groups of rocks to dodge.

I'll add my applause to Cairngorm mountain staff who really made a great effort today.

kitenski wrote:
some vid from 'gorm today

http://youtube.com/v/_bDXWWbKW8w

http://youtube.com/v/un9YbzfW1o4
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy