Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ to Canada Snowboard trip, End of Feb/beginnning of March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

we're just finishing up the season here in NZ, it's been pretty epic and there are still the odd spots of fresh stuff coming in, but it is time to start planning for the summer trip (southern hemi summer!)

We are thinking about heading across to Canada on the recommendation of a number of Fernie folk we met down here, and would be keen to hear if anyone has done the trip and could recommend an itinary for 10-14 days of snow.

We are pretty confident on the snow, like back-country, love powder (who doesn't!) and excited about not having to use nutcracker rope tows (they're the spanish inquistion of lifts...)

Any advise, comments or info welcome.

Cheers guys,

Andy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nzboarder, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Hoppo,

been having a read around and there is lots of good stuff on here, it would be good to know if there are any other Kiwis around?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi nzboarder, welcome to snowHeads! I don't think you'll go far wrong anywhere in Canada, stick to the west coast resorts though! Come up with a few suggestions of which resorts you're thinking of and I'm sure some folks here will be able to give advice.

We sure have some Kiwis around - even some ex-pats Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Cathy,

Well we've heard that Fernie is pretty good, and were thinking of heading out that way and see if we could combine it with a trip to Whistler/Blackcomb although have heard this is quite expensive; the kiwi dollar isn't quite as strong as the pound! What would be really good to hear is if it is feasible to combine the two, also, if people have travelled out from NZ (it
s a 20+hr trip!!) how they have found jet-lag etc.

I'm sure loads of this has been covered already, and happy to read back through old threads if people are able to point me in the right direction.

Incidently, we've just had another load of snow through, and it looks like the end of the season is going to be stretched that bit further here in NZ! Choice Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ive been to Fernie...If you like powder then boy is that the place to be. There is so much of it you won't know what to do with it! 300cm of snow is just crazy! I loved it there, it is an old mining town, it was a bit old fashioned. The lift que's were practically non existant! So that was a major plus, and we happened to be there when the griz fest was on...It was pretty crazy, if you are looking for a trip in early march, then you will catch it! Worth a look.
There is also the advntage of a short trip and you can do Kimberly too. Pretty sure you would be within a small enough distance for the likes of Panorama and Kicking Horse. And Big White looks within range. Maybe 3-5 hours from Fernie to all 3.

Having looked at maps...You are gonna be looking at a fair old distance between Fernie and Whistler. They are across the other side of the provence to each other. It is about 950 k so your gonna be looking at 10-11 hours. Not sure if that is something you were willing to do. If you were to do only Whistler then you don't really have much scope for other resorts. Also for practicallity, you would have to get a flight into Banff for Fernie, and get a flight back from Vancouver for Whistler, so that is gonna bring your price up a large amount. Otherwise your gonna be looking at a 15 hour maybe? trek from one to the other.

Not from NZ, but the 10 hour flight from the UK was a fair old distance to me...But I didn't find jet lag to be a problem, probably part adrenaline, part being it is only a relatively short flight.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 11-10-06 23:53; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry doubled up!! Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy