Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't be doing with 7days of potato stew

Poster: A snowHead
No but seriously, if anyone out there could translate the average Austrian mountain restaurant menu for me, that would be fantastic. wink I'm used to skiing in France so no trouble there but distant memories of skiing in Austria in my school days bring back images of 'frites' etc etc etc day after day. What's the food like on the Austrian slopes and is it good value? Cheers guys
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
You should have posted in the menu translation forum rather than "the piste". wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there's a menu translation forum?!?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads.

I'll try and find something then get back to you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jonesy, Welcome to Snowheads

Make sure to ask for Schweintestikel. It is a delicious plum pudding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gulaschsuppe = spicy goulash-style soup

Lovely stuff, have it with a bit of bread and "mit eine heise schokolade" (with a hot chocolate). Lunch sorted.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be going on with ....

http://www.aboutaustria.org/recipes/recipes.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/cuisine-of-austria
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK Managed to find the menu for the Nederhütte at Obergurgl

short link

Gegrillte Schweinsripperl mit Knoblauchbrot
Hendlflügerl mit Salat

NUDELGERICHTE
Lasagne "a la Italia"

Tortelini "Carbonara"

Schinkenfleckerl "Schweizer Art" - mit Rahm, Schinken und Käse überbacken

TIROLER SCHMANKERL
Tiroler Gröstl mit Krautsalat

Ötztaler Kässpätzle

Bauernkrapfen

Nederhüttennudeln

Gamper's Hauswurst mit Sauerkraut, Senf und Brot

Speck am Stück mit Brot

SÜSSE VERLOCKUNG
Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesauce

Heidelbeeromelette

Kaiserschmarrn mit Apfelmus

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 10-10-06 14:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gegrillte Schweinsripperl mit Knoblauchbrot = Grilled ribs with garlic bread

Hendlflügerl mit Salat = Chicken wings with salad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schinkenfleckerl "Schweizer Art" - mit Rahm, Schinken und Käse überbacken = Ham pieces and pasta topped with cheese, baked in the oven
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My sister and her friend used animal noises to order a ham sandwich & a chicken sandwich rolling eyes That method doesn't work well for vegetarians though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tiroler Gröstl = This is basically a traditional dish made from leftovers (e.g. meat/sauage, potatoes, onions, dumplings & pasta) all cooked up together in a pan with a fried egg on top.

Note: it probably won't actually be leftovers, but that's why the dish originated from.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-10-06 15:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's another Menu (in German) - http://members.aon.at/stiftwil/speisen.html

I'll try and translate/explain (with pics where possible) as I get time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hats off to DB for effort. To answer your other questions, Austrian food on the mountain (and in the town) seems to be pretty good value and good quality. It helps if you like pig, though, and dumplings - and, let's be honest, who doesn't?
ski holidays
richmond, Didn't know you had met the wife. Shocked

Waddles for cover......
latest report
I've skied in France, Austria and Switzerland and the mountain food is definitely the best / most reasonably priced in Austria.

Tiroler Grostl is definitely good, Kasspatzle is a novel eating experience - basically stodgy pasta/dumpling in a pungent cheese sauce, possibly topped with crispy fried onions. Somedays I like it, and some days I don't - feel like lying down for the afternoon to digest...
snow report
Ötztaler Kässpätzle = a sort of cheesy pasta
snow report
nudeln = Noodles/pasta
snow report
jonesy, Apologies, but my suggetion was not serious. Food in Austria is nice.
snow conditions
Krautsalat = Cabbage Salad
snow conditions
Hauswurst = House sausage
ski holidays
Schweintestikel = Pig's balls Wink
ski holidays
Heidelbeeromelette = Blueberry/Huckleberry omelette
latest report
Sauerkraut, Senf und Brot = Sour cabbage, mustard & Bread.
latest report
Speck am Stück mit Brot = Bacon on a piece of bread (but it's not your typical sizzling Danish bacon butty it's more cold sliced meat on bread)
snow report
Whats this the 100 Best Austrian Mountain Restaurant Dishes Show Very Happy
snow report
Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesauce - Apple strudel with Custard (vanilla sauce) - normally contains raisins

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-10-06 15:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiserschmarrn mit Apfelmus - Basically pieces of sweet pasty (normally contains raisins but I always try to get it fresh made without) served with Apple compot.

http://www.aboutaustria.org/recipes/kaiserschmarren.htm
ski holidays
Some more info here in 4 languages

http://members.aon.at/melkerstiftskeller/Speisekarte%20Engl.htm
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesauce - Aple strudel with Custard (vanilla sauce) - normally contains raisins

What's with the raisins and Austria, they seem to get randomly chucked in??? I'm not a big fan of them and if the menu said the dish included them I wouldn't order it but when you order a nice apple dish and it comes with them it's a bit annoying.
latest report
If you are looking for something light, soups with bread (suppe mit Brot) are a good idea.

Rindsuppe mit Leberknödel or Leberknödelsuppe = Liver meatball in a clear soup.

Frittaten Suppe = strings of pasta in a clear soup

Knoblauchsuppe = Garlic soup

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-10-06 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
DB wrote:
Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesauce - Aple strudel with Custard (vanilla sauce) - normally contains raisins

What's with the raisins and Austria, they seem to get randomly chucked in??? I'm not a big fan of them and if the menu said the dish included them I wouldn't order it but when you order a nice apple dish and it comes with them it's a bit annoying.

Tell me about it.

Rosinen drinnen? = pigeon German for "does it contain rasins?"
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Schweintestikel = Pig's balls Wink

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find you a pair, next time you're in London.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
FenlandSkier wrote:
DB wrote:

Tell me about it.

As possibly their most famous pastry/desert, (in a country famous for cakes and pastries) and widely eaten in England and most other places, couldn't they assume people know what Apfelstrudel is?
snow report
FenlandSkier, HappyMouffe once bought a "raisin bagel" in chester - expecting to get a bagel containing a few raisins - instead she got a plain bagel buried under a pile of raisins Shocked

Do you have a problem with raisins?
snow conditions
I like weinerschnitzel, but I can't spell it.
ski holidays
and there's more ......

http://www.globalgourmet.com/destinations/austria/austmenu.html
ski holidays
Thank god for that. I was getting hungry.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
DB wrote:
FenlandSkier wrote:
DB wrote:

Tell me about it.

As possibly their most famous pastry/desert, (in a country famous for cakes and pastries) and widely eaten in England and most other places, couldn't they assume people know what Apfelstrudel is?

??? it was me translating and stating the obvious. Sometimes people will make desserts for those of us who are too picky to eat rasins.

I was just stating the obvious as sometimes something with the same name isn't the same (e.g. bacon/speck) and a sausage isn't just a sausage it's a whole new food group over here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy