Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Our Group is off to Les Gets next year after three years at Le Grand Bornand.

We have found a nice self catered chalet right on the slopes just above the lifts, so it's ski in ski out, which is always nice. We dont know any about the resort really and chose it mainly due to it being fairly close to Geneva.

Chalet booked Saturday to Saturday, but arrive in Geneva on the Friday, overnight in an airport hotel and should be on the slopes at Les Gets by midday on the Saturday. At the end of the week we ski till late on the Saturday and then stay again overnight at Geneva before flying home on the Sunday. This give us a bit more time on the slopes.

Any thoughts on Les Gets?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smashing place. Good choice!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're looking for lessons try www.skisurf360.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you seen the report in the resorts section?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=96740
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some lovely runs around Les Gets and you are also linked into the Portes Du Soleil

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went there just the once, four or five years ago and really enjoyed it. One little tip - I was also staying in a ski in/out place, 'just above the lifts'. The walk though, especially with a few beers in carrier bags, was a killer. In the end it was must easier to shop, take it up on a lift in a rusksack and ski down again with it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
4thefunofit wrote:
I went there just the once, four or five years ago and really enjoyed it. One little tip - I was also staying in a ski in/out place, 'just above the lifts'. The walk though, especially with a few beers in carrier bags, was a killer. In the end it was must easier to shop, take it up on a lift in a rusksack and ski down again with it.

We did that at Le Chinaillon, Ski down to the village, collect the bread at lunch time, catch a lift to the top of the hill and ski back down again.

On the Friday Night we will be staying at the Novotel near to Geneva Airport, which has a supermarket opposite so we will be doing a BIG shop before heading off to the resort. We did the same this year and it saved a fortune. Was a bit cramped in the minibus taking us up though, with us, our bags and shopping bags, but as it's only an hour you don't really mind.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jashcroft wrote:
We have found a nice self catered chalet right on the slopes just above the lifts, so it's ski in ski out, which is always nice. We dont know any about the resort really and chose it mainly due to it being fairly close to Geneva.

......should be on the slopes at Les Gets by midday on the Saturday...

Any thoughts on Les Gets?

Les Gets is a great choice - although I'm biased as I have a place down the road in Morzine.

How big is the group? Are you hiring cars or getting a transfer? And what do you like skiing?

If you get up and out quickly then you can be on the slopes way before midday!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton wrote:

Les Gets is a great choice - although I'm biased as I have a place down the road in Morzine.

How big is the group? Are you hiring cars or getting a transfer? And what do you like skiing?

If you get up and out quickly then you can be on the slopes way before midday!

At the moment there are nine in the Group, we have booked a 14 bed chalet. We did the same last year and there were only seven in the Group (it's nice not to feel too squashed!). We are flying from the Isle of Man to Geneva with BA, this means two flights there and two flights back. Advantage for us by going BA is that we are able to book one ticket all the way through, don't see our bags again until we arrive at Geneva and if there are any delays with one flight then BA will get us on the next. Also quite reasonable in cost, which is £154.00 each from the Island to Geneva.

We are not hiring cars, not really worth it I think, we will be getting a minibus from Geneva to the chalet, which has worked well in the past (with the slight execpetion of this year when the the minibus driver couldn't find the hotel (Ibis - very nice by the way) on the way back to Geneva, at the end of the week, so we got a tour around the airport area for twenty minutes).

Some of our Group wont be that keen on getting up too early on the Saturday morning. I remember this January some didnt get to bed until about 4am. To arrive at the resort for about 11am is just about right for us. We can dump the bags at the chalet, even if it isnt ready yet, sort out ski hire gear for those who need it, lift passes and ski school for the two newbies, maybe a quick bite of lunch then onto the slopes for three hours in the afternoon.

We are staying here: http://www.chaletlaturche.co.uk/index.html

and if anyone is going to Le Chinaillon (Le Grand Bornand) I would recommend Chalet Zouche:

http://perso.orange.fr/grandbornand/chalets/zouche.htm which is right next to the slopes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jashcroft, My fav resort and going again this season (have even been there on a summer holiday). Lots of info on their website www.lesgets.com. Hope you have a great time
ski holidays
 brian
brian
jashcroft, La Turche is a great ski location but you are a good bit out of the village up a fair sized hill. I think there's a hotel or 2 up there but if you need shopping/ski hire etc. then having a car might be handy ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian wrote:
jashcroft, La Turche is a great ski location but you are a good bit out of the village up a fair sized hill. I think there's a hotel or 2 up there but if you need shopping/ski hire etc. then having a car might be handy ?

We had a bit of a hill last time, so hopefully this wont be a problem. I hope this quote on the chalet's website is correct:

"Chalet La Turche is offered on a self-catering basis allowing maximum flexibility and provides a low cost option for skiing in one of Europe's most up market resorts and with the bakery and supermarket just 50m away, your catering requirements can be easily managed"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would agree with Brian you would probably not want to do the walk back from the village as it is a fair way up a steep hill there is a ski bus and there is a bakery and small supermarket but not a lot else in the way of shops. You will probably have to go into the village to sort out ski hire and to get to ski school meeting place although you can get there by skis it takes a while as the lift from La Turche takes you up to the back of the bowl into which you have to descend before taking another lift up to ski down to the village. We liked the location but we did have a car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

ski school for the two newbies

depending on your dates, it might be wise to sort this out in advance. In addition to the link above the British Alpine Ski School has a base in Les Gets - or did, a few years ago, when we used them. Excellent lessons, small groups. Not cheap, but especially for first timers the quality of instruction is so important. We've enjoyed several holidays in Les Gets
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:

depending on your dates, it might be wise to sort this out in advance. In addition to the link above the British Alpine Ski School has a base in Les Gets - or did, a few years ago, when we used them. Excellent lessons, small groups. Not cheap, but especially for first timers the quality of instruction is so important. We've enjoyed several holidays in Les Gets

We are going on the 20th January, hopefully outside school holiday (French & English) time.

Does the map below, show the general area of our chalet?

ski holidays
Yes, 20 January is a great week to be going, but still advisable to book if you want the best instruction. BASS tend to book up well in advance. (I have no interest in BASS other than as a satisfied customer, by the way). Sorry, don't know the area well enough to pinpoint your chalet, but it is certainly quite a step from the main village to La Turche,though there are ski buses during the day. If you wanted to drive, Les Gets is not up any steep hills - an easy place to drive to compared to many resorts.
latest report
I'd agree with all of the above that booking lessons is, more or less, essential if you want to use one of the British schools.

BASS are very good and recommended. I've posted details of another instructor on this thread, who I use and is very good.

You've got the right area of map.

I like that area of the village. It's almost a village within a village there and does have a bakery, a small supermarket and some drinking options. The Turche drag lift is also one of the locals' secrets. On a powder day it's often the first lift up from the village to open and you can get up into the main Les Gets bowl way before the crowds.

A main downside is that you're up the hill from town and the local supermarket is small - which you'll pay for in terms of cost and choice.

Also, if you're high mileage skiers, then you're likely to ski out the Les Gets bowl and it's quite a hike from that end of town over to the main section of the Portes du Soleil - it's a minimum of one drag plus two lifts to get into Morzine; the walk across town; the Super Morzine and then the ski across to Avoriaz. All told it'll take you the best part of an hour to an hour and a quarter to an hour to be skiing on the main circuit.

The alternative is a 20 minute drive to the Ardent lift - which is why a car is good option. Though I do realise that not everyone like driving when there's snow around.

Recommended runs:
- Blue - Piste G, off the top of Pleney (always empty)
- Red - Tulipe, off the Ranfolly express (carve, baby, carve)
- Black - Creux, off Chamossiere (bumps galore and lovely "exposure")

Places to eat:
- the chip hut - on the Choucas run, just where it meets the bottom of Arbis - freshly cooked chunky chips
- La Rosetta - turn left off Rosta - ski past the place on the left for 100m and it's on your right - great views of Mt Blanc - food for everyone
- Chez Nannon - just near the treeline under the Troncs lift - don't ask, just go - advisable to book +33 (4) 50 79 21 15
- the restaurant at the top of the Nyon cable car - does everything and very big - also has a picnic room for eating your own sarnies in
latest report
Yes map looks about right the the supermarket is at N17 on the map judging by the description would think your accommodation would be somewhere between there and the bottom of the drag. The climb starts at N21 you would not want to do it with ski gear! We stayed near to N20 from where you could ski across to the main slopes but you would not enjoy the walk as it is downhill to N18 then back up hill again.
latest report
PhillipStanton, Do you know if there are any single rooms in either chalets ot hotels in Les Gets? My friend and I are thinking of going at the beginning of March. I stayed in Morzine last year with my husband and thought the ski area wa really good. I particularly liked Les Gets.
ski holidays
Very sorry erica2004, I don't.

You could try the Boomerang, but I'm not too confident.
ski holidays
erica2004, you have message
snow conditions
Quote:

My friend and I are thinking of going at the beginning of March.

If you go the second week in March you'd be after the French school holidays (end 10 March) and have more choice for accommodation and fewer lift queues.
snow report
jashcroft. Would agree with Phillip about a car being best option for getting to Argent - best way of getting a start on Portes du Soleil. Les Gets is great - I go for a week in Jan with friends - this Jan will be 10th visit. Turche area is great for quick way up if resort is busy - sadly although the new chair is great they have not yet put any facilities in the car park - like a bar!
Erica2004: You could try the chalet I use - Chalet Tressud. They have a web-site. They are a little way outside but drop you off each morning & pick you up so you don't have to worry about getting around. They may take a single booking without a supplement if quiet, although most charge. I always share - they have a family room with en suite which my friend & I have.
ski holidays
Having lived in Chalet La Turche as a saisoniere 12 years ago (Ski Famille used to use it) I would back up the fact that its well away from the resort. However, a genuine ski in ski out chalet and the blue run home can be a blinder in good snow - very quiet and very quick. On the map the chalet is essentially the blob above and to the left of N17. The walk to the village is a trudge - stock up on red wine and fire wood and stay in!
ski holidays
Only ever been in the Summer but when we arrived I had a feet stamping session as would have loved to have found Les Gets before ADH!! Really pretty resort (having said that other half reminded me that year round at the bottom of the valley looking up might get a little tedious - good point!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pbsl, another Chalet Tressud user? I'm just in the middle of booking another week there this year.
ski holidays
Thinks most of the Les Gets stuff has been covered, apart from the walk to town from La Turch. Been there done that, not again.
Ok new for this season is the Bar Le Pic, this is a new venture. Good news is that Rob is going to run the Pic bus that will operate till midnight, i think. It wont be expensive but the Courteous thing is, at least have a drink in the bar.
For the chalet Tressud users then are you going to be treated to a rendition of the Norwegian Blue sketch. (Sorry Peter)
snow report
Fat-Russ, where is Bar Le Pic? And who's Rob?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phill,
Bar Le Pic is down the little ally opposite the mont Chery telecabin. Was very French, used to be run by Fredrick & Pascal(Nice poeple).
Rob is, one part of Rob and Jane from the Bluebell. They have just obtained the lease with, Roger and Liz from Les Gets Chalets and John-luke and Ulrika the high mountain guide and his wife who works for SARAG.
I wish them the best of luck, it wont be easy for them, but i think they will make a go of it.
snow report
Ah, that place. I'd heard about that from Babs and Joe.

I must pop in and say hello to you in Bar Bush. When will you be around Les Gets from?
ski holidays
Phill,
Will be back in Gets in a month, doing the blighty thing at the mo. left about 10 days ago.
Went to Robs B'day bash and think i chewed Bab's ear off. Unlike me to have one drink to many. Nice to see they have tied the knot though along with phi and Tim.
Joe keeps threatening to go for a beer with me.
Be nice to see you in the Bush.
When you go in though, just make a comment on how grey Fig's hair is getting.
ski holidays
Fat-Russ - we're out for the season from the second week of December - so we'll come in to say hello.
snow conditions
We have decided to hire a car for the week, just a small four door Fiesta or something similar. Mainly for the beer runs, but may also be handy for getting to the otherside of the resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy