Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boot conundrum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help. I have been skiing for a couple of years. About a year ago I bought myself some boots from Blues in Glasgow. Salomon Ellipse 8. I have used them for a lot of dry slope lessons and a week in Obergurgl. They are very comfortable and the only discomfort has been some pressure over my left medial malleolus if not adjusted properly. I have long slim shallow feet and skinny ankles shoe size 11. I weigh about 90 kg.

On Saturday I attended the Warren Smith ski academy at Braehead. For me it was a great experience there were only four in the group and I felt my skiing improved a lot in one afternoon. I am looking forward to going back next Saturday. However Warren said that he felt that my boots were holding me back and put me into too upright a stance. He thought that this was a problem with this model of boot.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these boots? Is this a problem? I am quite taken with the idea of buying new boots especially if I will improve more quickly but I don't fancy a new pair every year. I'd be grateful for any advice and any suggestions about boots to consider.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My only knowledge of boots comes from many weeks of wearing them, so my advice is in no way expert.

I'd be wary of changing boots on a single recommendation, even from someone who ought to know what they're talking about (and even the best instructors can talk a lot of crap about boots, in my experience). If they're comfortable and not too big you're doing pretty well, and I'd be surprised if the fine detail of your boots made a huge difference at your stage. There are always plenty of knowledgeable people ready to tell you that your kit is crap (not on snowHeads, obviously).

I daresay someone'll be along in a minute to tell you that Salomon Ellipse 8s are notorious for that particular problem and you should change them at once, and they'll probably be right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no view on the boots, and know nothing of that particular model.
However I do know Warren and would advise you to trust his opinion.

He gave my wife and I the same advice 3 years ago. We took his advice and the change in our skiing from that factor alone was profound. I thought I had boots that were the real-deal at the time...boy, was I wrong!

If you can't flex properly...you can't ski properly.

Get the cheque book out!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks thought I'd broken the forum for a bit there!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to clarify. I am alright about buying new boots (especially if it is some kind of confirmation that I have improved). My concern is buying new boots before I really need them. I was also hoping that CEM or a zookeeper would say clearly you need Tecnica/Nordica/whatever boots in green plus some skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ianmacd, without seeing your feet it is impossible to say which make / model of boot is best for you, personally i never really liked the ellipse, i would not say that they were too forward but they may be juist a little soft for you which would result in the same sort of thing,

[EDIT:or as you stated they appear to be too upright]

the other fact that they are medium to high volume (like most salomon production boots) and you have a shallow slim foot is probably accentuating the problem.

as to which boot, this all depends on your foot, possibly a Head for the S series with the full custom fit system base board it it to narrow it and reduce the volume. or it may be worth trying the lower end of the salomon falcon range, this is all speculation and you need to get into a boot shop and take some advice, may be worth a trip to Aveimore to see Fergus at Cairngorm mountain sports

hope this helps a bit

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 10-10-06 7:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks CEM. Will definitely think about going to Aviemore. The problem with the Ellipse was though that I was too upright and Warren felt the cuffs were "wrongly" placed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ianmacd, sorry miss read you post, but even so i wouldn't say it was too upriught, if this is the case you could try putting a spoiler into the boot (as a temp measure you could try putting a wedge of cardboard between the shell and the back of the liner if this works then have a shop put something more permanent in place, seems a shame to have to buy a new nboot if they fit well and have been used so little, so if a spiler helps the situation it will save you a few quid til you need to move up to the next level
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You sure you didn't have the ski/walk mode in walk? wink

Technically, the Ellipse/Siam has 16 deg of forward lean, that's 2 degs more than the X-Wave boots. So in theory there is more than enough forward lean.

However it is a recreational boot, and the cuff mounting etc. may all be different to say the X-Wave boot.

In general - I always tell my clients (that want to progress their skiing past holiday recreational) to avoid features such as ski/walk - this weakens the upper cuff/lower cuff interface IMHO.

But again, to re-enforce CEM's (who? wink ) point - without seeing your feet it's hard to say what the issue is. For example, I know Warren is *Big* on ankle flex, and it may be that you have limited dorsiflexion.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, Warren is "Big" on ankle flex?

Believe me...that is an understatement!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't really have any thoughts on whether your boots are too upright or not. However if you have narrow feet I do wander how appropriate the ellipse would be for you given that it is a fairly high volume boot.

That said as with CEMs comment without seeing your foot it's v. difficult to tell.

I would get down to a decent shop if only for them to give you some peace of mind re: whether they are the right boot for you or not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy